First Visit to DLP with my 5 & 4 Yr olds - What not to be missed

Started by GAVINSM, August 03, 2015, 01:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAVINSM

Visiting in just under two weeks, for the first time with my kids.  Just wondering if there is anything that we shouldn't miss.

We have bought the Dream Annual Passes, so plan on going back again in October and at least once more before the passes run out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

michaelj1973

I would say look at every attraction and decide for your self if it's right for your kids as you know them best.
Also look at the hight recuirements so you skip attractions where your kids are to small for.
That way you don't get crying kids in front of the attraction.
Favorites from my point of view for kids:
Magic Kingdom park:
* It's a small world
* Peter Pan
* Dumbo
* Caroussel behind the castle
* le petite casey junior
* Storybook
* Buzz Lightyear

Studios:
* Cars attraction don't know the name
* Flying carpets of Agraba
* Attraction with the slinky dog (don't know the name)
* Stitch attraction (watch for the English version if you are English speaking)

There are more attractions but as I don't know how brave your children are and how big they are I can't advice you on them.

I would say look at the website DLP Guide (link above) and have the pleasure of looking at attraction before you go.

One big advice is be flexible. If your children are tired don't go on and on, but take a time to do some nap time. There is nothing worse than going to the park with over tired children.

GAVINSM

Thanks for the advice, I have been keeping an eye out on the height restrictions. Cause as you say don't want to queue and get to the front and can't get on.

daddyof2

At that age, Fantasyland is pretty much your "safe" area with all of the rides good for the kids. Our children were 3 and 2 when we went last year and it was good for them. As Michael said, Buzz lightyear is also good fun, and Autopia might be suitable if height restriction allow. And I totally agree with Michael, pace yourselves and don't make your kids do anything JUST because you want them to, but you know your kids better than we do

stifle

Quote from: GAVINSM on August 03, 2015, 03:56:29 PM
Thanks for the advice, I have been keeping an eye out on the height restrictions. Cause as you say don't want to queue and get to the front and can't get on.

Cast members will stop anyone looking too short at the entrance to attractions with a height minimum, and check them against the gauge. Height requirements are as follows:

0.81 metres for Autopia (passenger) and Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop
1.02 metres for Big Thunder Mountain, Star Tours, and The Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror
1.07 metres for Crush's Coaster
1.2 metres for Rock & Roller Coaster avec Aerosmith and RC Racer
1.32 metres for Autopia (driver) and Space Mountain Mission 2
1.4 metres for Indiana Jones et le Temple du PĂ©ril

AlmostThere...

Hoping not to state the obvious, but the parade and Dreams.

Perhaps some character meets?
First trip October 2012 - Marriott resort and 1 day DLP trip
Second trip October 2014 - 5 days Davy Crockett
Third trip to DLP.... On hold until after WDW in August 2017!!

never2old

Lots of characters! My daughter loves meeting Mickey more than anything else, I think...

If you can, go for a character meal.

Otherwise, Fantasyland is brilliant. We always end up doing Peter Pan a few times (fastpasses), Dumbo at least once, the teacups a few times (usually has shorter queues). Alice's labyrinth is a favourite in our family, our daughter loves taking the lead and telling us where to go.

Don't forget about the play areas (the Pirates one behind Hook's Galley in Adventureland, and the Pocahontas Village one in Frontierland). If your children need to run around for a bit, they're good places to go. And they're also a good place to escape the queues...