money passport

Started by Mary Rose, July 26, 2015, 06:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Rose

Hi  there . Has anyone else used a money passport in dlp?  I don't want to have lots of euros on me and walking at the Sainsbury master card money passport. Do most places in dlp except master card? Xxxx

justlikeidreamedit

Just used my Travelex card at shops and restaurants without any problem. Didn't try the smaller ice cream stalls etc, used cash there.

Mary Rose

Thank you . Is that the same as a credit card ? Was thinking of doing the same just taking euros for the snacky stuff. XxX

stifle

MasterCard (along with Visa and American Express) are accepted almost everywhere in the parks, hotels, and Disney Village. Some of the snack carts may be cash only.

However, I don't recommend "cash passports" or similar prepaid cards. Most of them have a mediocre exchange rate and all kinds of silly fees. Much better to open an account with Metro Bank or Norwich & Peterborough which do not charge any fees and give you the "mid" exchange rate with no spread when using your debit card in France. Halifax and Lloyds also do credit cards with this feature although they do charge fees and/or interest if you withdraw cash from an ATM.

DisneyRon

If you're staying at one of the Disney hotels you can also just have everything charged to your account for the hotel. :) That way you can pay for it at the end in a single large transaction, rather than a lot of small ones. This is especially useful if the banks charge a fixed minimum transaction fee. :)

thetills

I have also been thinking of doing this for our trip, some seem to have quite a good exchange rate and no fee for taking money out

justlikeidreamedit

The Travelex one is the same exchange rate as buying currency from them. It can be topped up at any time, so I just add a bit when the exchange rate is good or I am feeling flush.

You get 2 cards issued so can keep one in the safe or have a card each. They can be used anywhere there is a MasterCard symbol and enter the PIN number as you would any credit/debit card.

Mary Rose

Thank you for your advice. Going to Sainsbury later their passport cards seem the same as the normal exchange rate. But will check. XxX

stifle

I might be coming across as a broken record here but I'll try anyway. Foreign currency cards are pretty rubbish value.

If you want to make 3 cash withdrawals of €100 each and purchases of €300 at DLP using a Travelex Euro Cash Passport (as issued by Coop, Thomas Cook, Asda, Sainsbury's, and several others), this will cost you £435.69.

If you do the same on a Metro Bank card it will be £420.24.

On a Lloyds Bank card it's £438.81.

I know which one I'd pick.

thetills

Some of the ones I have found are quite a good exchange rate and don't charge for using it, however we have decided to just take cash so we can keep an eye on what we are spending.

stifle

Buying €600 euro cash today at Thomas Exchange Global (widely considered to have the best foreign exchange rates going) would be £428.27.

Still not the best option.