Summer 2016 Trip Advice

Started by JTHC, July 18, 2015, 07:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTHC

Hi All

We (me, wife, daughter (10) and son (5)) are planning a trip to DLP during the summer UK school holidays next year. Can anyone advise when is the best time to go during this period?

What are the benefits of staying in a Disney hotel as opposed to off site?

Any other advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
John

MimaB

My advice would be look at the French DLP site before booking to compare prices, as is does free child places up to the age of 12 where as the English booking site only goes up to 7.

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: JTHC on July 18, 2015, 07:55:03 PM
What are the benefits of staying in a Disney hotel as opposed to off site?

EMH - Extra Magic Hours
This is where the park opens for 2 hours in the morning just for onsite guests. When you check in to an onsite hotel you get a hotel easypass which is scanned at the turnstile with your regular park ticket. Main Street USA , Fantasy Land and Discovery Land are usually open and there are about 6 rides attractions open. Uusually they have Buzz and Peterpan open, which are high wait times during the day, both can get up to nearly 2 hours wait in the daytime but during EMH they are either walk on or have 5 to 10 minute waits.

EMH is a great time for photos. Its about the only time you can get a photo of the castle with no one in the background.

Character Meets during EMH
They used to have character meets during breakfast at the onsite hotels but last year it was switched to in the park during EMH as too many locals and non hotel guests were turning up. Now the hotel guests get an exclusive meet and  greet time in the park during EMH

Breakfast in the Park during EMH
Disney do this to ease congestion in the hotels during breakfast time so it is not always available. When you are checking in and getting your breakfast time coupons, ask if breakfast in the park is available during your stay. If it is you will be given a coupon for one of the restaurants in the park, usually Plaza Gardens during EMH. It is a great way to start the day, as you have already been in the park and on the rides and now having something to eat, while the rush of general public are wizzing past on Main Street trying to get to the Lands

Rope Drop
Even if you don't want to be in the park for  the full 2 hours of EMH, it is worth heading into the park for the last 30 minutes, ie 30 minutes before general admission time. This way you can take your time and head directly to the rides / Lands which are not open and be at the top of the queue. The CM's drop the rope to open the lands at the general admission time and you are then the first into the lands and onto the rides, while the main rush of general public are still halfway down Main Street.

Shopping Service
When you stay at an onsite hotel you can use the shopping service. This means that when you shop before 3 pm you tell the CM when you are paying which hotel you are staying at. You get a form to fill in, one part is attached to your shopping and you keep one part. You are then told when and where the pick up point is at your hotel. This means you don't have to carry your shopping bags around all day.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

MattR

If you really want to go in July and August which I can´t recommend, I would recommend the very end of August.

JTHC

Thanks all, very helpful.

The benefits of staying on site are appealing but I'm concerned about the cost of eating when we are "trapped" in Disney.

Unfortunately we will have to go during UK school holidays, and ideally summer. Last week in August should be fine and I suppose, at a push, the May or October half terms are possible. What are crowds & weather like compared to late August?

Thanks again

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: JTHC on July 19, 2015, 09:10:33 PM
The benefits of staying on site are appealing but I'm concerned about the cost of eating when we are "trapped" in Disney.

When you stay at an onsite hotel you are not "trapped" in the park as regards when and where you eat. Disney push the meal plans but you dont have to use the meal plans. Just because you stay at a Disney hotel does not mean you have to spend huge amounts on food if you dont want to.

At the onsite hotels, breakfast is included. Many people fill up at breakfast time and you will see people openly taking extra items to bring into the park for later.

I have been to DLP twice and both times have stayed onsite. I have a very limited budget for food,I usually fill up at breakfast, snack during the day and have a main meal in the evening. I have 1 expensive meal at Blue Lagoon and on the other days my main meal budget is approx €15. During the day I spend about €10 on food.

Earl of Sandwich, Starbucks and McDonalds are the cheapest places to eat in the Disney Village.

There is a small garage / petrol; station beside Santa Fe Hotel which sells alcohol and convenience food.

You can also take a trip Valle De Europe, 1 stop on the train, about 10 minutes from the park and stock up on food and bring back to your onsite hotel.

If your only worry about staying at an onsite hotel is that you will be "trapped" in the park regarding places to eat, then you are worrying over nothing :)
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

Zee79

We went may half term & found it a lovely time to go, only the UK seems to be on holiday at this time, weather was hit & miss, one day hot next training but we went in summer the year before& it was the same type of weather so can't really know.  We've stayed both on & off site & both are good, we've chosen to stay more onsite though because when you are tired it's great not having to travel to a hotel or apartment.

polar vixen

If you can drive consider Davy Crockett Ranch, that way you are still on a Disney site, the theming is fantastic, if booking early spring you can get the 30% off plus free half board offer, but you also have a kitchenette in your cabin with a hob, microwave, fridge freezer and bbq stand, which we've found gives us allot more freedom, and makes for a really nice break

JTHC

Thanks again all for the helpful advice.

So will crowds be better for May half term compared to last week of August? Prices don't seem to differ too much.