Is Booking Meals Necessary?

Started by TrueMerida, July 18, 2015, 08:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrueMerida

I'm considering taking a trip to DLP after my college graduation (hopefully May 2017, fingers crossed) with my mom and possibly a friend. I've never been; my mom has. We're both annual passholders at WDW in Orlando, FL and Disney Dining is very important to us. In Orlando, it's only necessary to book meals at table service restaurants. However, from what I've been reading, it's recommended at DLP to make reservations at all restaurants. Does this include quick service as well?

I'm trying to keep my options open with meal plans and stuff, but I'm also a broke college kid and I'll probably be paying for everything myself.

DisneyRon

Like at WDW you can't make reservations for Quick Service restaurants. ;)

As for making reservations for the other restaurants, I would recommend it for all Table Service restaurants.
The Character Restaurants are especially important (Auberge de Cendrillon, Café Mickey and Inventions), as those tend to fully book quite quickly.
The Buffets depend, you could make reservations just to be on the safe side, but if you eat outside the peak times you most likely don't need to do so. :)

Remember, reservations are free, and unlike WDW there's no "no-show" charge involved just yet.

SophieMiddleton

Not always, on my last trip i booked Cafe Mickey when i was actually there and i visited in the peak Summer period. But it was at quite an annoying time. So if you want to eat at specific times or you really really want to eat there then yes i would book them over the phone 2 months before your trip!  :)

AlmostThere...

Hi we have been in October half terms, last year I booked our first night meal a week in advance, but for another meal the day before when we were at the park.  Both times I got the times I wanted...

If I was you, if you know where you want to go and more or less when, I would book.
First trip October 2012 - Marriott resort and 1 day DLP trip
Second trip October 2014 - 5 days Davy Crockett
Third trip to DLP.... On hold until after WDW in August 2017!!

stifle

There's no way to book quick service restaurants, and not all buffets or table service locations can be booked.

The more of the following are true, the more important it is to reserve:

• You're booking for a peak period, that is to say Saturdays in summer, Halloween, or 10 days either side of Christmas
  • You really, really want to go to X restaurant on Y day
  • You have 5 or more guests in your party
  • Auberge de Cendrillon

HildeKitten

It's not always necessary.
If you want to go to some of the really popular table service or buffet restaurants, then I would advise booking them in advance, unless you are going in low season, in which case you may get it sorted during your stay (may or may not).
If you want to make sure you _definitely_ have a spot, I would recommend phoning and making the reservations.

If you're not that fussed about where you eat, I wouldn't bother :)