Selfie sticks

Started by stifle, June 14, 2015, 12:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stifle

It appears from Twitter that selfie sticks will be banned in the park from next month.

sarahh83

i can understand on rides them being banned as it is somewhat dangerous

however .... to take decent group photos i feel reluctant to keep asking people who are busy enjoyign their holiday, so for me a selfie stick is perfect for those occasions!!
First visit to DLP but stayed in Paris in 1993 just after DLP opened - aged 10!!

Cheyenne 13-17 Dec 2012 - amazing time for my sons 3rd birthday

Santa Fe 12-16 Feb 2014 - truly magical, Valentines meal overlooking the fireworks at the DLP hotel ... PERFECT!

Newport Bay 23-27 Dec 2015 - I only went and got engaged ON CHRISTMAS DAY IN DISNEYLAND ❤❤❤ 1st in the park on Boxing Day too ... amazeballs

TattyOwl1

We were at DLP 3 weeks ago and was really surprised at the amount of selfie sticks. To be honest, they were a bit of a nuisance. We were on 'IASW' and someone was holding them out for the entire ride which meant we couldn't always see everything. A lot of People were holding them at arms length and we saw Ppl having to dive out the way to avoid walking into them. There was also a man who was using a selfie stick to film in the Emporium. His girlfriend called his name and he swung round and knocked a display flying. The cast member did not look amused!!

Mileto

Good decision. They destroy other people's experiencies. The sticks are used too aggreive, without taking care of others visitors. I had problems to see well durind Dreams. Had to search better place which took time. This wouldn'd be the case when these sticks are used on the level of the head.

And I had never problem making fotos of others, makes me even happier to see other'shappy faces.

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

Spacepilot

Good! Ban them.
It worked fine in the last 20 years without them, and it also will in the future...

msRavenswood

The ban will be effective on rides only. Fair decision, since it's dangerous for people riding along those who are using selfie sticks. Overall, I find selfie sticks quite annoying but I get it that some people are too reluctant to give their camera to strangers or are too shy to ask someone else in order to have their picture taken.

HildeKitten

Quote from: Spacepilot on June 15, 2015, 01:54:05 PM
Good! Ban them.
It worked fine in the last 20 years without them, and it also will in the future...

THIS!
I completely agree.

Alberto Frog

Be interesting to see if the ban is actually enforced.  After all, smoking is meant to be banned as well...

DisneyRon

Quote from: Alberto Frog on June 16, 2015, 02:01:04 AM
Be interesting to see if the ban is actually enforced.  After all, smoking is meant to be banned as well...

Agreed, I'll wait to see if it's enforced, otherwise it's quite useless.

grovesie

I have a feeling that the ban will only apply to rides :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

HildeKitten

And even then, it's really hard to enforce. If someone has their smartphone and stick in their bag and they take it out on the ride itself once it's going, it'll be hard to stop them, not to say impossible.
Some rides can be stopped so they can scold the culprit, but things like rollercoasters, not so much, and yes, you'll get people stupid enough to use it on there.

So yeah, I doubt there'll be much actual enforcement of this rule, it'll be just be like the smoking one.

Mileto

They have to do a total ban, otherwise we have all the situations you gave as an example.
And doing so, they will "catch" all the sticks at the scanners and not allow them in.
Hard topic anyway!

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

HildeKitten

It's like you said: total ban and catch them at the scanners.
I'm pretty sure a selfie stick will show up.
If it's not allowed then it's not allowed.

I don't even want to know what kind of selfie stick induced misery it'll be during peak season.

grovesie

Quote from: HildeKitten on June 16, 2015, 12:42:17 PM
It's like you said: total ban and catch them at the scanners.
I'm pretty sure a selfie stick will show up.
If it's not allowed then it's not allowed.

These sticks are small enough to fit in a pocket. Unless the security screening has changed since I last went they can stay in pockets and not get discovered

HildeKitten

Well in that case, if people smuggle them in whilst knowing they're breaking the rules, then a CM would be entirely in their right to ask them to go bring it to the baggage service next to guest relations, or return it to their hotel or whatever when they are caught using them in the parks.
But of course, that would be the same as telling people to put out a cigarette, which is also not happening.