Space Mountain 20 Years Old

Started by Discovery_Mountain, June 01, 2015, 05:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discovery_Mountain

Just thought id point out that Space Mountain opened to the public 20 years ago today as Space Mountain: De La Terre A La Lune.

It was my all time favourite attraction and what I see as Imagineering at it's best.

DisneylandParis-News have a nice article on Space Mountain
http://disneylandparis-news.com/en/space-mountain-20-years-of-interstellar-travel-at-disneyland-paris/

De La Terre A La Lune closed after 10 years to be referbished to Space Mountain: Mission 2 It would seem that initially this was meant to have a much larger budget to produce some really good effects but due to cuts it was scaled back to what we got.

Apparently a lot of the effects from De La Terre A La Lune are still inside the Mountain but covered up so maybe someday we will get De La Terre A La Lune back someday.

I was lucky that I managed to ride in many times during my various trips to DLP when I was younger and I have fantastic memories of Space Mountain.  I remember watching the trains dart about when in the queue and the fantastic area music that was there. 

I also remember the moment when your sat looking into the black tunnel ahead with the original score building so much suspense and when it launched feeling like I was on a voyage to the moon. Also I'm sure the music used to be really loud when you were on.

When I finally rode Mission 2 in 2012 all I could say was I was disappointed to what they had done to MY Space Mountain.  The count down spoils the launch, the audio was pretty much not there just crackling and really really quiet and there was pretty much nothing in the mountain anymore just a few flashing lights and a low quality projection.

Anyway, who managed to ride is as De La Terre A La Lune and what do you miss most about it? or Do you Prefer Mission 2? What do you think the future holds?

Also check out these videos that people around the web have made for Space Mountain: De La Terre A La Lune

Fantastic Off Ride Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YaEJ6jR6O0
No Limits Recreation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_DoQ_2RGWQ
Full Attraction Recreation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttgSaGR5s90

My Disneyland Paris Trips:
1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 (1 Day Trips)

March 2012, 2 days at Kyriad Hotel
June 2013, 2 days at Dream Castle Hotel
December 2013, 6 days at Sequoia Lodge
December 2014, 6 days at The Disneyland Hotel
December 2015 6 Days at Sequoia Lodge GF

Planned Holidays:
February 2016 - 3 days at Sequoia Lodge GF
November 2016 - Walt Disney World  (Maybe)

mickey1980

I was there in the year it opened and visited the opening party of Mission 2.
That spinning neon tunnel effect was pretty cool. But for the rest.. Meh.
Even the soundtrack that was created by my favorite dj at that time didn't improve the experience.

Hoping to see it restored to it's former glory. With some new additions to make it future proof for the next 20+ years.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiƫsto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

msRavenswood

I feel so privileged to have riden SM in 1997 and experience it in its full glory! I really wish they would revert the ride back to De La Terre A La Lune theming, Mission 2 has been a disappointment and it lacks the magic of the original!

DisneyRon

I've only ever ridden the Mountain in it's original configuration. :) It was quite spectacular, and as I learned after my WDW visit quite a bit more intense than the other versions of the ride (~50% faster and 3 inversions compared to none at the others).

Made me wish I hadn't skipped the WDW version to see what it was like. :)

Rocketeer

I was there a few months after it opened, and 20 years on I've still not gone on it. Its a shame to hear that its a shadow of its former self.

Anyone else remember the observation deck/viewing platform that you could visit? Perfect for non-coaster riders like me. :-[

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney