Auberge/Cafe Mickey/Inventions

Started by AmyT14, May 14, 2015, 11:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmyT14

Hi all,

Time is ticking for our first family trip to DLP and I'm getting a bit nervous now! (still 5 weeks to go!). I want to book some meals and would love to do at least one of the character dining experiences, my question is, if you could just do one which one would it be? and why?

Thank you  :)

twentythingamabobs

Hi Amy,

I have only been to Inventions so my opinion is biased but I can't recommend it enough! The setting is lovely in the DH, the food is really good with loads of options to choose from, the characters spend quality time with each table there is never a feeling of being rushed and if you get a window seat you get a lovely view of the Castle :)

As a sidenote, I just want to say how other people can effect your time there - we were sat on the next table to Michael McIntyre and his family last time we visited and he made us feel really uncomfortable as he was so miserable and kept looking at people and saying "this is so embarrassing" whenever the characters played around or were silly with people. Did put a bit of a dampner on our last visit but I would never let that put me off!

AmyT14

Thanks for your reply... I've been looking at the menus and the food at Auberge puts me off slightly as my children would be unlikely to eat much of it I think and for the price I do not want to waste it!! Looking at the menus I am most drawn to Cafe Mickey but love the idea of being in the DLH!

Such a shame about Micheal Mcintyre, and really surprising, I usually love him!

I know you've only been to Inventions so may not be able to answer fully but obviously Auberge is focussed on the Princesses, are Inventions and Cafe Mickey just random characters? i.e. no theme.

Thanks again,

Amy

littlebitofpixiedust

Ok we've never done auberge but done both cafe Mickey and inventions and I agree with post above entirely! It is amazing the first time we did it it was just wonderful, we've never gone back to cafe mickey (only breakfast since) both are good choices. But, the big but is that inventions is a totally different setting the food is good with plenty of choice my fussy eater is more than happy in here. The character interaction is better in my opinion too they have more time as its never as busy as cafe mickey. Probably because of price difference, but for the food, atmosphere and character interaction I am happy to pay a little extra.
Which ever you choose you'll enjoy! I just was won over at inventions and every trip we visit now love it!

twentythingamabobs

I know, I was surprised by Michael McIntyre. He and his whole family (including the children) didn't give any characters the time of day!

They do Sunday Brunch themes at Inventions - I think someone was kind enough to copy a list of future themes somewhere on the Forum. We went to the Christmas theme which was lovely as all the characters were in their cute Christmas clothes! We have seen Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and Chip and Dale (who are absolutely hilarious by the way, they try on people's coats, kick them out their seats, go and queue in the buffet and pretend to fill their plates... defo my faves!) every time we've been. We have seen Eeyore, Piglet, Winnie, Pinnocchio, Gepetto, the Penguin from Mary Poppins and Tweeledum/dee once each at various times. So you do get a good mix of characters. There is no fighting for attention, it all feels really relaxed and happy! It is pricey but in my opinion 100% worth it.

littlebitofpixiedust

I wonder why he even went to a character meal? What did he expect them to do? Whole point is to play along, goofy on my last visit walked with me right along the buffet table and was showing me his favs and pointed to the veg and gestured that they smell  :) made me laugh I'm 27 they mess around with everyone that's the fun thing about dinng with characters!  :D

twentythingamabobs

My thoughts exactly! I wonder if they just looked for the most expensive place and didnt realise it was Character based? Sooo bloody awkward!

Haha that sounds like so much fun! I love the interaction - and i'm 33!

polar vixen

If your budget can stretch to it, why not to café mickey for breakfast - if you're already in a Disney hotel it's not too much to upgrade for a café mickey breakfast one day, and then do inventions too?

littlebitofpixiedust

Probably is what they did went for priciest meal and then realised there was characters!? I once see emma bunton in the plaza garden restaurant though! And she was staying in the DLH same time as us  :D that's a good idea to do both if you can then you can compare the 2 I prefer breakfast at cafe Mickey its quieter than dinner. Plus if your in a hotel with only cold buffet cafe Mickey has a mixture of hot/cold from what i remember

AmyT14

Wow thanks everyone - we are staying at Sequoia lodge in a standard room so I believe it is only a cold buffet breakfast so could maybe do Cafe Mickey brekkie and Inventions later on, good thinking! I like the idea of the Princesses at Auberge but quite put off by the menu so we'll see.

Agree on Micheal Mcintyre, imagine they chose the 'poshest' place maybe thinking he wouldn't get bothered by people but didn't expect the characters - even so I would see that as a bonus rather than anything, wonder if they thought it would draw attention to them? Whatever the reason there's no excuse to behave like that in Disneyland of all places! He seems so fun loving on stage/his shows etc.

littlebitofpixiedust

Sequoia lodge is lovely  :)
Sure your have a. Wonderful trip! I booked my meals 3 weeks ago and of in a week!