Disney Village Placemaking?

Started by Spacepilot, May 06, 2015, 12:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spacepilot

Does anybody know what's up with Disney Village? Why was the entrance sign removed? This was one of the few good things remaining....
Is this a first step to a complete placemaking? If yes, what are the plans?

IMO it's a shame the original design was largely abandoned. Back then, whith it's neon signs, the sky with the lights, loud music, atmosphere it really felt alive.

NOW, it's mostly just "blah", lacking the atmosphere it once had, practically silent (no music no nothing) and all the restaurants already closing when the park closes. For me, the let's "add random colorful balloons and remove as much as we can from the original design" was a huge step backwards.

HildeKitten

I agree that the Village has deteriorated significantly lately.
I used to love going there but nowadays my husband and I just pass through when we need to go to a hotel and at most pop into World of Disney (which we both dislike).

I have no idea what they are up to with it though.
I think the cinema is still quite popular with people that live in the area though.

Spacepilot

I love the stars in the sky in the shape of winnie pooh motives inside world of disney. Why dont you like it?
I've never been to the cinema there,  but I guess it's ok. The inside of Ludwigs is great, Planet Hollywood is also ok, could maybe use an update. Anettes Diner should also be preserved. Dont know the lego store yet. Everything else, needs placemaking imo. Maybe some moving Elements, some Neon signs again, some LED and Laser effects, flashes in the sky simulating electricity to go along with the original Design. Some plants and torches with real fire as a contrast. Some projections of the Disney railroad flying though the air as a nod to the original powerstation near railroad Design
Projections on the tower depending on the party/music,...

HildeKitten

I'm not saying the statues and paintings inside aren't nice, they are. It's just that the store is very "sterile".
We just don't like the entire atmosphere of World of Disney, and the stock is always a bit off.
Last year when we went during the Halloween season, they didn't have a single piece of Halloween merchandise in the store (we went right at the beginning of the season) but there was LOADS of Christmas merch.
It's just stuff like that, I know atmosphere sounds pretty vague, but I can't pinpoint it better, I just don't like it much.

I feel that Billy Bob and the Sport's Bar are a bit redundant now, because originally there were Western and Sport's stores in the park that matched those restaurants. Now they just seem rather random. The Sport's bar does have events, so many that just needs a proper refurb.
But Billy Bobs, yeah they could use that space better.

Has anything been done with the old Hurricane's building btw? Or is that still empty?

paterdave2

The old Hurricane is now a staff restaurant.
My own Radiostation on Radionomy. listen to AYFM on: http://ayfmradio.playtheradio.com/index.cfm

samuelvictor

When you say that the "entrance sign" has been removed, do you mean the big red "Disney Village" one? If so that's a real shame, I liked the way it looked. Maybe it is being refurbished or they are replacing it with a new one? It'll be a shame if there is no official proper entrance sign to distinguish it as a separate area...

I actually like Disney Village, a lot, I always enjoy walking through it at the begining of the day on the way to the parks, and on the way "home" at the end of the day. Its always buzzing and a hive of exciting stuff to look at and listen to.

We last went in 2012, and on returning for the 2014 Christmas season I thought there was a marked improvement in the village - World of Disney, Earl of Sandwich and the Lego store are great additions, and the toy store, fashion store and gallery have all been improved (cool specific themed additions like the "make your own lightsaber" and Star Wars area, the "Art of Disney on Demand" stuff etc.). For Christmas and New Year there was loads of entertainment and extra photo opportunities in the Village, and New Year's eve was brilliant.

I've eaten at Annettes, Billy Bob's, Earl of Sandwich and McDonalds, all of which were good value, nice surroundings, cool looking buildings and great atmosphere. The other places like Rainforest Cafe, Planet Hollywood, Starbucks, Cafe Mickey etc are all fun to look at and are nicely themed.

I also really like the look of Lake Disney and Panoramagique, and the little things to see and find like the Elephants round the back, the anamatronic crockodile, the pink caddilac, the ever changing pop up wooden stalls/shacks/street vendors etc.

Yeah, sure, its just one big commercial excuse to get people to spend more money, but its far more fun to walk through and look around than your average generic shopping mall or high street  ;D

Puffin

My favourite places in Disney Village are Starbucks, Annette's and the Lego Store. All the other stores and restaurants have less appeal to me. Especially the Disney Stores could use some better branding or concept as they sell the same stuff as in the park. Maybe an outlet store with Disneyland souvenirs and goodies from previous seasons might be an idea.
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne

Mileto

Quote from: Puffin on June 26, 2015, 12:07:46 AM
.......Maybe an outlet store with Disneyland souvenirs and goodies from previous seasons might be an idea......

That's a great idea! I miss it.

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

DLPWonders (Banned)

Quote from: Puffin on June 26, 2015, 12:07:46 AM
Maybe an outlet store with Disneyland souvenirs and goodies from previous seasons might be an idea.

They have that, it's called Boutique Jessica but it's a cast member store.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

Puffin

Quote from: DLRPWonders on June 26, 2015, 09:27:12 AM
They have that, it's called Boutique Jessica but it's a cast member store.

Oh, didn't know that. interesting! Is it a brick and mortar store or an online thing?
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne

DLPWonders (Banned)

Quote from: Puffin on June 26, 2015, 12:19:36 PM
Oh, didn't know that. interesting! Is it a brick and mortar store or an online thing?

It's an actual store backstage.
They have two of them: Boutique Jessica, and Jessica 2.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

Rocketeer

There's a heck of a lot that could be done with the Village, especially when you compare it to the others around the world.
For starters I think the aesthetic Gehry designed was fine in the '90s but it needs to move on. No more industrial columns  and sheet metal siding, it needs to be more inviting. I'm not saying that it should get a complete Disney Springs style makeover, (money for that would be better spent on the parks) but for now, a more pleasing cohesive theme would be appreciated.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Puffin

Maybe they should've combined Disney Village and La Vallee Village into one big project like Ikspiari at the Tokyo Resort where you can shop and eat. La Vallee Village is much better looking, but too far removed from the Resort.

Rocketeer

^That sounds like a great excuse for them to dust off the tram concept they had years ago (it may not have been for Paris). They could have a stop at Disney Village, then over to La Vallée and Val d'Europe and then one for Village Nature and Camp Davey Crockett.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

HildeKitten

That would be awesome, let's hope someone at DLP realises that too and gets the ball rolling.