Trip report 26-30 January

Started by EmmaH, January 31, 2015, 09:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmmaH

Hi all,

What can I say...

Our visit to DLP was our third in three years and we have always visited the last week of January. We were a family of two adults and three children boys 8,6 and girl 4. After an early start to catch the 07.08 Eurostar from Ebbsfleet and a smooth change at Lille Europe (thank you all who helped with tips) on to the TGV we arrived at DLP at just after 12 noon. We took our luggage up to the Disney Express and marched onwards to the parks.

It really did feel like we hadn't been away, with the familiar sights and wonderful view of the castle walking down Min Street.

We did our usual Fantasyland rides first - always Snow White, Pinnochio, Peter Pan and then the Carousel.

In all we had a fabulous time all week but for the first year we experienced a large number of ride closures each day notably Pirates,  Big Thunder Mountain,  Parachute drop, and Pinnochio. The closures lasted only an hour or so.

My children discovered new ride favourites in Star Tours and for the first year we rode Phantom Manor more than once.

My daughter was so thrilled to meet Snow White and Rapunzel in the Princess Pavillion. Snow White was particularly lovely and curtsied to my daughter as she walked in. A lovely touch I thought.

We ate at Plaza Gardens, Toad Hall, Chateu Marianette, which were all very tasty, and excellent value for money.

We visited the Studios and we rode our favourites slinky dog, flying carpets and the spinning cars, then I took the kids on to parachutes but because my eldest is only 8 my husband had to join us and he rode it for the first time. Carpets looked a bit tired and a number of them were out of action. 

I took my daughter and 6 year old son on Tower of Terror, she loved the ride but it was too much for my son. He did however reclaim his brave badge by taking me on RC Racer (never again lol). He also wanted to ride the Rock n Roller Aerosmith which we had not been on before. So we went on without knowing what to expect... I had a bit of a panic with his harness and really pushed it down tight on him and got settled myself with my huge rucksack tucked under my legs as instructed. Well, we were both screaming with delight and surprise at the loops and I managed to pin my bag into the corner with my foot as it dint stay put under my legs. My son loved it and after a few days of coaxing my eldest went on to. The music is fantastic and really adds to the vibe of the ride. Why is it tucked away and not really mentioned as a highlight as it is a fabulous ride!! As is  Crushes Coaster.. I took my three on and we rode no problem. I was pleased my daughter could ride it and we all had a spinning good time. On our last day I took the kids back on got settled into our shell and the shell was stopped as apparently I needed a second adult to ride with us?? So a bit of an argument ensued and my youngest two were crying as they had queued 40 minutes to ride. One cast member who had measured my daughter and passed her as ok to ride came over and said I had tricked him as he said my husband had been with me as we went in to the queue. My husband doesn't enjoy the fast rides and wasn't with me, I told him this and another three cast members came over to then say we could ride but I would take them on individually. Which I did and felt a tad dizzy after doing so.

I'm not sure why this rule is in place can anyone enlighten me?

We had a great time watching Stitch and my eldest was picked on to participate as was me and my husband which we all enjoyed.

The Rat ride and whole new area is amazing, very visual and the kids enjoyed exploring a new park to the park.

We were very lucky to meet a huge number of characters, Spider-Man was very good, he spent ages with the kids and really made sure they came away with great memories. We missed the stars n cars but enjoyed the replaced meet n greets and met Little Chef, Baloo, Chip n Dale, Mary Poppins, King Louis. Then Woody and Micky Mouse over by Toon Land.

The photo passes are great value for money and I was surprised at the bargain prices for multiple picture purchases. 

We also met Pinocchio and his dad,  Hook, Smee, Peter Pan and Wendy. Peter Pan is my eldest favourite character and he was fabulous. He asked where he was from and he knew the town and made some funny remarks about the next town on.

I have never noticed the sales before but we bought a number of sale items namely princess t shirts for €5 each. Toys were also marked down to €3-5 each so massive value for money!!

We met a lovely lady on the shuttle bus one morning who gave us four vouchers for a tea time treat - she wasn't going to be using them as she was departing that lunchtime. So we had a wonderful treat at Caseys a hot chocolate and donut each and I bought one for myself. All very delicious.

The parks were busier than in previous years and I noticed that there were more information points then in previous years.

We stayed at the Cheyenne which is our hotel of choice and aside from the funky smell coming out of the toilets in the main building and the polystyrene crockery on one of the days, I have no complaints, the rooms (we had two adjoining) were clean, warm and perfect for us. Check in was smooth, breakfast was just fine and the shop hotel service was just too dangerous for us - we bought far too much ha ha.

We ate in the village most nights at Annette's, Cafe Mickey, King Ludwigs Castle all of which were very good value for money. We did try Planet Hollywood but ended up leaving and going to Annette's. The menu choice was awful.

We also ate at Restaurant des Stars and my only gripe was that refill drinks are not included in the price and there is not a large enough range of options for children.

In all another lovely trip and yes we plan to visit again next year.

Emma
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2016
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2015
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2014
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2013

lovindisney87

We went last year the last week of January I was 28 weeks pregnant at the time so didn't do much but dh and 2 DDS were on and off most stuff straight away no queues it was great and only one day it proper rained. We also came back with loads due to the sales, my dd's save their own money so had about 180 euros each and were buying things at a euro 2 euro each in the sale, came back with loads of different iphone cases that were 2 euros each  :o We are planning to go last week of January next year as my 3rd dd will be about 21 months then. Glad you had a great time,
Lovindisney  :)
[size=150]Disney trips
Many i cant remember from childhood including a 2 week holiday to Disney World in Florida

Davy Crockett Ranch November 2003
Santa Fe October 2010
Santa Fe March 2012
Cheyenne January 2014
Cheyenne January 2016 😁
Davy Crockett Ranch January 2019

Hopefully many more to come

naisworld

Sounds like you had a fantastic time! I hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple of questions - Where abouts did you meet all the Peter Pan characters? What shops did you find the sale items in? We are travelling next week and would love to buy some bargains! X

daddyof2

I'd be interested in knowing a bit more about your dining choices - did you book any ahead and what did you eat?

EmmaH

The Euro rate was so good (1.284) that our money went a lot further. Daddyof 2 I did book Restaurant des Stars, Cafe Mickey, Plaza Gardens and King Ludwigs Castle but only because I wanted to ensure we had tables at the Times we wanted. So Plaza for example we booked after the parade at 5pm to then walk out at 6.40pm to find a place to watch the fireworks.
In Toad Hall we had fish n chips and the kids had filets of fish which they loved and ate up. In Chateau Marionette we had a spit roast chicken (x2) and I ordered me and the husband a kids chicken burger meal each whilst the kids shared the chicken.
In Hakuna Matata we had chicken with African sauce, spiced fries and the kids had chicken and rice.
Plaza has a huge range of food a buffet so you can go up and down as much as you like. We had lasagne, potatoes, rice, pasta, Carvary meat (gammon) , vegetables, chips, fish fingers, salad, bread rolls, cheese and pancakes for dessert.
King Ludwigs the kids had shepherds pie and we had lamb and ratatouile.
Cafe Mickey has a restricted menu and we chose soup, sea bass, and kids had pizza and cheese burger.
Restaurants des Stars had a good buffet but not as good as Plaza. Although both have huge bowls of sweets and marshmallows as part of their desserts.

Naisworld, the Neverland characters meet n greet is located at the pirate steering wheel stage which you will find outside of Fantasyland going into Adventureland and walk to your left. They are there at about 10.30 then swap during the day. Most of the shops on Main Street had a sale area and in the Studios the shop on the left before you go through into studio 1. The t shirts were in the shop on Main Street which is to the right if looking at the castle. I can't think what's it's called but it's opposite the shop with the statue of the man outside of it. Hope that helps.

Emma
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2016
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2015
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2014
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2013

polar vixen

reading your report has got me feeling so hungry, and desperate to go in January!

naisworld

Thanks Emma. I know which shop you mean with the t shirts! Fingers crossed there will still be done bargains left. I hope it's not too busy next week! X