Birthday meal - inventions or blue lagoon...?

Started by Mrsya, January 22, 2015, 12:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrsya

It's my 35th birthday on our next trip and the Hubster says I'm allowed to choose anywhere I like! I've always wanted to try blue lagoon but not too keen on the idea of roasted whatnots instead of chips with my steak!  :-X

Anybody been to both and could recommend one or the other please? We'll have two small children in tow.

Thanks in advance.

Barnsleybigbird

I've only been to Inventions and it was so worth paying for, just for the amount of characters you get to meet without queuing. The food is an all you can eat buffet style but there is a massive selection for even the pickiest of eaters. We are going back in December and will definitely be booking for Inventions again.
Who wants a twig when you can climb the whole tree 😉

vampira

I haven't been to both so I haven't answered yet. But I have been to Blue Lagoon when I was at Disneyland for our honeymoon. I loved it! Of course it depends on what you want to eat. I love the more exotic dishes with lots of spices and new stuff to try, so for me it was perfect. It's a beautiful restaurant too, to me it felt like I was eating outside on some Island at night.
But I'm sure Inventions will be beautiful too, so I think you'll have to decide for yourself what type of restaurant/food you like best. ;)
"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney"

twentythingamabobs

I'm sure Blue Lagoon must be a lovely setting especially if you get to sit and watch the PoTC boats go by but we have never visited. I can't recommend Inventions enough though! We've been twice and are hooked so will definitely be part of every visit from now on. And I think they have character lunches every day now so you dont have to wait til the evening which sounds ideal. The food is lovely, loads to choose from so definitely something for everyone. The character interaction is so sweet and in a very relaxed atmosphere, plenty of time to play and take pictures with each character who visits your table. Some are quite mischievous (Chipmunks, Tweedledum and Tweedledee come to mind  ;D) so it's a brilliant laugh. Just love it!

grovesie

I have been to both. As nice as they both are I would choose Inventions everytime. As previously said it depends on your tastes and willingness to try different cuisines. The children in your party will  probably find the food at Inventions better and there's all ways the character interaction. Which ever you choose I'm sure you will have a great time. Happy Birthday in advance

daddyof2

Having never eaten in either, I'm not actually an expert judge. However, I've never let that stop me poking my nose in...I would personally prefer table dining over a buffet for a birthday meal but I think the point about your children may make Inventions a better choice

Mrsya

Aww, thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Its such a tricky one as I've always wanted to go to blue lagoon and POTC is my favourite ride but its the menu that has always put me off... I would love to sit and see the boats go by though and so would my 5 year old little boy.

Would he like inventions or is it more for girls? Anybody managed to get fries at blue lagoon...? Choices, choices. What a lovely predicament huh?!

daddyof2

Mrsya - I think Inventions is suitable for all ages and both boys and girls. Regarding the Blue Lagoon - if the menu puts you off, why consider it? I think the menu has lots of yummy sounding food, and there's loads of other places that do normal potato fries. I like sweet potato mash though and I'd be willing to try cassava chips if I really wanted the beef fillet

polar vixen

Have to admit I've always been sooo tempted by blue lagoon, I luuurrrrve the setting of it, but looking at the menu there's nothing I'd want to risk my money on, and I know the kids wouldn't eat much, so as much as the atmosphere looks beautiful, I wouldn't want to risk that much money on a meal I probably wouldn't enjoy, so inventions would be the better choice, tables are nice and spread out - if you mention it's a special occasion when you book and maybe get a table by the window, and there is loads of lovely food to choose from

Mrsya

Quote from: daddyof2 on January 22, 2015, 10:17:54 PM
Mrsya - I think Inventions is suitable for all ages and both boys and girls. Regarding the Blue Lagoon - if the menu puts you off, why consider it? I think the menu has lots of yummy sounding food, and there's loads of other places that do normal potato fries. I like sweet potato mash though and I'd be willing to try cassava chips if I really wanted the beef fillet

I'm considering it for many reasons, as I said the setting, the atmosphere, as potc is mine and my son's fav ride, the experience of being able to see the boats go by while we eat etc. The fillet of beef sounds fab it's just the accompaniments that put me off.

DLPWonders (Banned)

As someone who's been to both I'd definitely recommend Blue Lagoon!
The quality at both is pretty much equal (great), but the atmosphere at Blue Lagoon is a tiebreaker.
I don't really like mashed potatoes, so I just asked for chips instead. That wasn't any problem.
If there's something within the menu you don't like, you can always ask for something else!
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

Mrsya

Quote from: DLRPWonders on January 23, 2015, 08:46:22 AM
As someone who's been to both I'd definitely recommend Blue Lagoon!
The quality at both is pretty much equal (great), but the atmosphere at Blue Lagoon is a tiebreaker.
I don't really like mashed potatoes, so I just asked for chips instead. That wasn't any problem.
If there's something within the menu you don't like, you can always ask for something else!

And that, my friends, is what you call, a dealbreaker! Blue lagoon with chips! Perfect! Hubster just threw it out there that we could go to inventions instead of cafe Mickey... Thanks again for all your replies.