inventions and upgrading

Started by polar vixen, October 17, 2014, 10:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polar vixen

Hi again!  Yet more ques I hope someone can help with, please?  I have been desperately wanting to try the buffet at inventions which I believe will still have characters at the evening meal?  However the price is a bit of a eek (there will be 3 adults and 3 kids, ) we have standard vouchers which I would use to offset the price, but I'm unsure about the menu, how does it compare with say somewhere like plaza gardens?  All I keep reading is that there is allot of seafood, can anyone be more specific?  Fish obviously, but hot fish dishes/cold?  what sort of fish?  prawns/calamari? 2 of My kids have asd and are really fussy eaters, will there be something plain - chicken or chips etc that they can eat?  I don't mind paying for the experience as long as there are characters, and something they'll eat. 
Also, since we're wanting to do buffalo bills and inventions, this will add on about £380 to the price of our holiday, we got the standard dinging free as part of our booking offer, does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade, and how much it would cost?
Many thanks x

DisneyRon

Inventions is a rather nice buffet, and I get the idea that all the seafood is there because it's generally more expensive food to help justify the higher price. There are usually plenty of characters around (but only 1 at a time), last time I ate there I met 4 characters in about an hour's time, so they rotate them around fairly quickly.

The fish is quite varied (shrimp, salmon, etc, but also hot fish dishes), but there is also normal meat (slow cooked lamb, roast beef, pork, chicken wings, all sorts really), there's a number of hot vegetable dishes as well (also mashed potato and such).
And there are mickey shaped chicken nuggets and pasta for the little ones too for instance.
There's generally a variety of different salads available and a wide variety of dessert items (little jelly puddings for instance, and mousse, different types of cake).

As for upgrading to a higher plan, Premium, which would cover inventions completely is a fair bit more expensive than Standard. You'll need to either call or mail Disney to see what the actual cost to upgrade would be, but I'll list the plan prices below. ;)

For Standard Half-Board you would have paid £22 per Adult, and £11 per Child
For Standard Full-Board you would have paid £39 per Adult, and £19 per Child

For Premium Half-Board you would have paid £48 per Adult, and £24 per Child
For Premium Full-Board you would have paid £83 per Adult, and £41 per Child

tinkerbell17

Hi all me and my bf have the standard plus meal vouchers and we wondered about inventions aswell can you use standard plus vouchers in that restaurant and just pay the difference or do u have to upgrade to the premium ones also is there any where you can see what other food they do other then seafood we don't like seafood many thanks

polar vixen

Thanks for that Disney Ron!  I was quite nervous because in addition to being fussy eaters non of my kids can eat gluten or cow's milk, (transference is ok) so having some plain food is really important and jelly pots a must as they're just about the only dessert they can eat!  I think last time my 3 year old survived on kiwi fruit!  (I know they have special meals, but well, lets just go with the kids don't like them, and you still have to pay the same price anyway!)
I think it may be worth the splurge!

THANK YOU! for replying

DisneyRon

Quote from: tinkerbell17 on October 17, 2014, 10:49:00 PM
Hi all me and my bf have the standard plus meal vouchers and we wondered about inventions aswell can you use standard plus vouchers in that restaurant and just pay the difference or do u have to upgrade to the premium ones also is there any where you can see what other food they do other then seafood we don't like seafood many thanks

Like almost every other restaurant (providing it's owned and operated by Disney) you can use your Standard (or Plus?) vouchers as partial payment, no worries. ;)

As for what other foods, I can't recall the exact details as I didn't think to make note of what was on offer, but I did post a few things that I recalled earlier in the thread.

Quote from: polar vixen on October 17, 2014, 10:49:35 PM
Thanks for that Disney Ron!  I was quite nervous because in addition to being fussy eaters non of my kids can eat gluten or cow's milk, (transference is ok) so having some plain food is really important and jelly pots a must as they're just about the only dessert they can eat!  I think last time my 3 year old survived on kiwi fruit!  (I know they have special meals, but well, lets just go with the kids don't like them, and you still have to pay the same price anyway!)
I think it may be worth the splurge!

THANK YOU! for replying

Unfortunately I wouldn't know much about the presence of Gluten or Milk in many of the dishes, so I can't really help much with that. It's not information I paid much attention too, as I don't have issues with either. But there should always be CMs on hand to answer questions about items.

~sarahjayne~

My daughter is dairy free and will only eat plain foods. There were fish shaped fish cakes, chicken strips, plain spaghetti which my daughter ate. For dessert she ate jelly pots and grapes. We had a free premium food plan but I would pay to eat there for the character experience. The kids got to see them without being pushed or waiting in line for a long time.

moonloo

In relation to the ASD element, my son (10) has ASD and sensory processing dissorder and we ate at inventions 6 nights in a row. The ONLY thing he would eat were the strawbwerry flavoured sweets, the bread rolls off the table and on the final night one plain pancake. He is very severe with his food avoidance and essentially its chips or nothing  - and chips arent served!!!
So it was an expensive choice, but the rest of the family enjoyed the meals and he loved the calmer character interaction so all was well, just a shame you cant avoid paying for the ones you know wont eat anything!! Aggghhh!!!