Disney clothes???

Started by neeyore, October 16, 2014, 07:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neeyore

hi all,
this is my first post in preparing for our very first trip to DLP!!! It's all very exciting but I have to say I am feeling more than a little overwhelmed by the sheer vastness of planning the details  :D

Something I was wondering about was clothing - I've read on different forums of parents getting ready for their trip by packing their disney themed clothes or even going out to buy them for themselves and the kids. My 3 year old has a few disney items but they're largely Summer items whereas we'll be going in November. Is it really necessary to take disney clothes? I'm assuming people do this specifically to heighten the disney vibe and add to the magical ambience of the trip but I'd just hate to find that all the kids are dressed as such and my little one doesnt have anything once we take coats off indoors or at the hotel  :) 

Also, is it recommended to take a princess costume ? (for the litttle one, not me  ;) )  It won't be warm so I can't imagine that she'll get much use out of one indoors, but I don't know if there are any events or opportunities which will arise where I wish I had packed one!

Thanks in advance for any replies,

xx

moonloo

As you said I take the kids outfits (princess and spiderman) to enhance the vibe and it also increases the character and CM interaction, eg. CMs will address dd as princess and this goes down particularly well!!!!
If you are planning to go to something like the princess meal I would say a costume is a must, I dont think I have seen a little girl in there without a costume...
Also in terms of warmth, I have dressed dd in a tinkerbell outfit before with white wooly tights and a thermal long sleeved top underneath. Indoor events such as the princess meal are heated and little ones would be fine in short sleeves, regardless of the weather outside.

Have fun planning and as a little tip, Asda does some cheaper Disney costumes and they often have sales, so if you have time to keep an eye out it would pay off, you certainly dont want to feel pressurised into buying a E60 dress while you are there!!!!!  ::)

polar vixen

You'll see plenty of little girls wearing their tiaras and dresses over their jeans and t-shirts it just works as ahh extra layer, so take what you've got and leery wear ity over three top if her winter clothes with her coat on to of that, Many little princesses get noticed by proper princesses in parades and then get extras attention so it's very very worth it!

neeyore

thanks loads guys, I'm going to follow your advice and at least pack 1 costume (2 if I can manage it but we're trying to stick with 2 cabin cases for travelling so will have to see  :) ) Definitely dont want to have to fork out a fortune on a dress to save her from feeling left out and she'd love getting noticed by a princess!!!

Will definitely pack themed clothes too just to get that extra disney feeling - next stop: Asda George online for a Minnie jumper, lol.

thanks again!

Esti

Girls specially do wear costumes, not all of them, but many do. In fact, many parents buy princess dresses (and the cape, and shoes, and tiara, sometimes even wig) in the park. The dresses are BEAUTIFUL, but they're pretty expensive, so if you already have a couple, I'd say take at least one. As they've said, kids usually wear them over their regular clothes and/or under a coat.

Costumes are great for meet n greets because the characters treat them like a real princess, which is always very sweet.

gothprincess

Pretty much everything I have bought my kids for this trip has a Disney label on it, I will have a few Disney T shirts form Primerk and I will probably buy a Grumpy Tshirt for Hubby too. You don't have to no-one even sees what the kids are wearing in winter months because they spend most of their time bundled up I do it because it's fun and the clothes are cute. Getting ready for your holiday is so much more exciting when you are planning and packing cute Disney clothes but Hubby thinks I am insane.  ???

moonloo

Just as a heads up... Primarni currently have cute Frozen leggins and tshirts for girls, cute frozen ladies tshirts, ladies grumpy pjs and boys hogwarts tshirts!

gothprincess

My daughter has never acctually worn a costume in the park when we usually go it's the start of Febuary and the temperature had been anywhere between -15 and 7-8 degrees so it was too cold for anything except snow suits, the first year she has a Minnie Mouse snow suit and a mouse ears fluffy hat she got lots of attention then.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Queen Elsa

Definitely take her a princess dress! We went in September and our daughter wore a Snow White tutu. It was obviously completely different to all the other little princesses so stood out in the crowd and she received lots of attention in the park! During the parade she was recognised by Rapunzel and Sleeping Beauty after seeing them earlier in the day and Snow White waved and blew her a kiss both days that she wore the dress. She's only 3 1/2 so it made her day! Xx

moonloo

Quote from: gothprincess on October 17, 2014, 11:27:35 AM
My daughter has never acctually worn a costume in the park when we usually go it's the start of Febuary and the temperature had been anywhere between -15 and 7-8 degrees so it was too cold for anything except snow suits, the first year she has a Minnie Mouse snow suit and a mouse ears fluffy hat she got lots of attention then.

Oh my gothprincess, how completly adorable is your daughter!!!

neeyore

oh thank you all so much for replying, will definitely heed all of your advice and take a costume. gothprincess your little one looks adorable! I love the idea of a Mr.Grumpy t-shirt lol, the other day my hubby gave a wry smile while commenting that he can't believe he'll be waking to a dark November sky at 7am to go and greet mickey mouse ;)
Queen Elsa I've seen a lovely little Minnie tutu set on Asda online complete with minnie ears which I'm going to try to get as I agree tutus are very different to the classic dresses, plus it will be a much easier option to co-ordinate with jeans and a minnie jumper.
thanks for the heads-up moonloo, am going to try and pop into town to check out primark when I can.

gothprincess

Thanks Moonloo that was nearly four years ago now. :-)

jeakat24

Super cute daughter alert!  :D

Last year when we took A it was sept/oct time, so we were buying bits and bobs for winter anyway, so we ended up buying specific Disney bits and then she could wear them for the rest of the winter.

This time we're going in feb, and I've already bought a couple of Disney tops for her and my son. I want to keep them unused until we go but as they're winter tops they won't get much use out of them so I'm going to get them out soon.

But it's really not necessary to have Disney clothes. Though taking a princess dress with you would be a good move (they're so, so expensive while you're there). Most children wear normal clothes underneath. A wants to be tinkerbell for halloween so I've deliberately bought a bigger size so she'll be able to get clothes on underneath! 
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

Queen Elsa

Quote from: neeyore on October 18, 2014, 01:36:18 AM
oh thank you all so much for replying, will definitely heed all of your advice and take a costume. gothprincess your little one looks adorable! I love the idea of a Mr.Grumpy t-shirt lol, the other day my hubby gave a wry smile while commenting that he can't believe he'll be waking to a dark November sky at 7am to go and greet mickey mouse ;)
Queen Elsa I've seen a lovely little Minnie tutu set on Asda online complete with minnie ears which I'm going to try to get as I agree tutus are very different to the classic dresses, plus it will be a much easier option to co-ordinate with jeans and a minnie jumper.
thanks for the heads-up moonloo, am going to try and pop into town to check out primark when I can.

This was the tutu our daughter wore! Definitely noticeable!! Hehe xx

[attachment deleted by admin]

gemma2806

The idea of Disney clothes is brilliant but not necessary. I always take my Disney tops but in November they never get seen as I am wrapped up in so many layers! My other half has a Grumpy t-shirt and a Stitch t-shirt that he takes with him, again they are never noticed due to the layers. My son always takes Disney t-shirts but again they're never seen due to the time of year. My son got more attention when he wore them in Summer as they were noticed then.

We actually buy all our Disney clothes from DLP while we're there, I must admit they are good quality and last for years! I wouldn't buy a Princess dress from the parks though if I had a daughter as Asda do Princess dresses, shoes and tiaras etc for a fraction of the price that you'd pay for a dress alone in the resort.

I would be more inclined in Winter to buy Minnie or Mickey ears etc. You can buy some brilliant Minnie Mouse earmuffs for those cold November days!  :D