Back... And Booked! A couple of questions...

Started by MummytoaPrincess, October 02, 2014, 08:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MummytoaPrincess

Hello, I used this forum a few years ago when we made a couple of trips to Disney (I think mostly pre and post our 2011 trip). Anyway, I've had a couple of tough years with some health and work issues, and I finally find myself back in a real job and with improving health, so to celebrate I've booked us (by us, I mean me and my 7 year old daughter) an awesome Christmas trip! The Christmas season is my absolute favourite time of year to spend at Disneyland and I am so excited!!!

I originally booked us 6 days/5 nights staying at Santa Fe, which is where we have always stayed. But then I phoned up to pay the balance on Tuesday, and was perusing the Disneyland Paris site whilst I was on hold, and just happened to notice a really really really good price for Hotel New York. At least I think it was a really good price, only worked out about £300 more than I had already paid for Santa Fe. So as it was payday, I decided to go nuts and book it. Why not, it's a special trip for us, our first for nearly 3 years! Anyway, when the phone was finally answered (payday plus last day of 2 days and nights free), I booked it and the lady informed me that it was a plaza room as there were no remaining standard rooms (this was the price I had been looking at online it seems).

So... what is Hotel New York like compared to Santa Fe? I know that might sound daft, but we only have experience of Santa Fe! I'm not looking at value for money opinions - I've paid what I've paid and it's booked at the end of the day :) I'm just wondering what it is like. What is the difference between a standard room and a plaza room? What are the rooms like? What is the pool like? What are the breakfasts like? Or are the breakfasts the same in every Disney hotel?  I am so excited - we've had 3 holidays there before plus a day trip between 2009 -  2012. I've booked a full board meal plan so I know that side of things is all taken care of :)

I haven't told my 7 year old yet - I don't know how much longer I can hold on without bursting with excitement!!!! We are going 17th - 22nd December - getting ferry overnight from Portsmouth on the 16th so should arrive nice and early!

Dec 2014 Hotel New York 6 days/5 nights
Jan 2012 Bitterly cold day trip!
Feb 2011 Santa Fe 3 days/2 nights
Dec 2009 Santa Fe 4 days/3 nights
Jan 2009 Santa Fe 5 days/4 nights
NY 2001/2002 Disneyland California and California Adventure  4days/3nights

Queen Elsa

Pleased you are now feeling better!!! I've only been to DLP once and that was a couple of weeks ago. We stayed at the New York in a standard room and it was lovely. Two double beds, loads of storage and fairly spacious. The pool is nice but it's very deep and didn't seem to have a shallow end, although we were only in there for two minutes before a baby pooed and we had to get out!!!!! The breakfasts were lovely, croissants, pain au chocolate, toast, cheeses, meats, jams, yoghurts, fruit, sausage, bacon, egg and cereal etc... I'm guessing it's the same in all the hotels but it was very nice, fresh and plenty of it. The hotel reception and concierge staff were all really lovely and helpful. We also stayed on a full board plan and it was great, I highly recommend eating at Bistrot Chez Remy as it was delicious! You need to book as soon as you get there though as it's only open a few hours a day. The best bit about the New York is the close proximity to Fisney Village, literally 2 minutes away!!! I'm very jealous you are going, we plan to go next December the same time xx

DisneyRon

Do keep in mind that you can book restaurant reservations from home by phone.
Sure it's a call to a different country, but it's not that expensive and will save you a lot of hassle.

MummytoaPrincess

Quote from: DisneyRon on October 02, 2014, 08:39:33 PM
Sure it's a call to a different country, but it's not that expensive and will save you a lot of hassle.

Going to book Auberge Du Cendrillion before we go. To be honest we've never bothered before other than that one but I tend to go at quieter times. Will give it a little more thought a bit closer to the time!

Dec 2014 Hotel New York 6 days/5 nights
Jan 2012 Bitterly cold day trip!
Feb 2011 Santa Fe 3 days/2 nights
Dec 2009 Santa Fe 4 days/3 nights
Jan 2009 Santa Fe 5 days/4 nights
NY 2001/2002 Disneyland California and California Adventure  4days/3nights

DisneyRon

Quote from: MummytoaPrincess on October 02, 2014, 08:50:10 PM
Quote from: DisneyRon on October 02, 2014, 08:39:33 PM

Going to book Auberge Du Cendrillion before we go. To be honest we've never bothered before other than that one but I tend to go at quieter times. Will give it a little more thought a bit closer to the time!

If you go in low-season it generally won't be needed, true, but I did book just about everything in advance just to be safe. :) I had to reshuffle a thing or two because of events during the trip, but it did feel right to be sure of those spots before I left. ;D

never2old

Good to hear you're doing better and that you're celebrating with a magical trip to Disney!!

I'm with you, Christmas is the best time to go, pure magic everywhere  :D

You won't regret your choice, the New York is a wondeful hotel!! It's probably our favourite. The rooms are quite big and very comfy - if I remember right the Plaza rooms are the ones with a lake view, which is always nice... Breakfast is a wonderful experience, huge selection including a cooked breakfast (which you only have in the DLH and HNY), and a wonderful orange juice. We always tried to head down early for breakfast (around 7am) and took our time to enjoy it... You usually have the choice between the Parkside Diner and the Manhattan; most people seem to stop at the Parkside Diner (it's the first one), but keep walking down the corridor to the Manhattan, it's lovely in there!!

I've never been to the pool but I've heard great things about it, I have a friend who loves their jacuzzi...

And the bar of the hotel is wonderful, best in any Disney hotel, great to go and spend a bit of time to relax in the evening...

Have a really magical stay!!