Help me decide when to book

Started by jeakat24, September 03, 2014, 11:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeakat24

The plan since we decided to go (a few months ago) has always been to book in September and go for the first week of February (mon to fri) for our daughters third birthday.

However, I read on twitter last night that not only are Anna and Elsa taking over the Princess Pavillion but you'll get to meet both! Plus the plans for this years Christmas season look amazing. So I priced up a trip for when my partner has time off in November and by dropping down to a cheaper hotel it wouldn't be too much different cost wise. So now I'm really torn. There's so many pluses to both dates but I'll try and sum them up.

Staying in November plus points:

Meeting Anna and Elsa at the Princess Pavillion. Obviously they won't disappear completely after the Christmas season but am I right in thinking it will just be random like meeting the other princesses? We have also met Anna and Elsa over here for a charity thing (though obviously it's not the same!).

Staying during a season. Going in February will mean it's right in between the end of the Christmas season and the beginning of Spring, so not a lot going on. This doesn't bother me too much usually but Christmas looks so good this year.

Going at the end of November will be my partners birthday (hence why he's got time off work) and it will also be the 10th anniversary of our first trip to Disneyland together (I took him for his 18th, though we left the day after his birthday).

Pluses of staying in February:

It will our daughters third birthday while we're there. We're thinking of doing Auberge, or at least marking it in some special way. Plus I keep imagining her opening her presents in the hotel room and really like the idea of it.

It will a lot quieter (though colder) which is fine for us.

We will be able to afford to stay in the Sequioa Lodge, which we've never stayed in before. Whereas we will have to stay in the Cheyenne if we go in November.

It will be easier to take our son in February as he turns 1 in December. So we won't need to sterilise his bottles anymore and he should be on less bottles than in November so that will be easier (though not impossible in November)

I pondered putting Disney Dreams of Christmas down as a plus point and though it would be, it would also be a negative as I'd miss the regular show.

So what would you do? I'm so, so torn and confused. My partner is swaying more towards going in February and I think I am too. But whenever I think I've firmly made up my mind to wait I start doubting myself!

Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

disney_mama

Oooh that's a tough one.

I think though going by your son's age alone I'd go with February as once he turns one he will be able to go on more rides with you, will be a lot easier bottle wise also.

February also means a higher grade hotel closer to the parks which is great with small children and also gives you access to a swimming pool if you want some time out for the parks.

[size=150]Taking my Little Boy to meet Mickey Mouse and Buzz Lightyear in September, staying for 4 nights at the Sequoia Lodge

DLRP 2006 Hotel Cheyenne
2008 2009, 2010 The Marriott
[/size]

itslizi

You've got a hard decision to make.

I would go in February, as it'll be easier with your little one, and you get to stay at a different hotel which is closer to the park although it also depends on how much you love Christmas or if you'll ever return again in the future as you could so a season then and it could be three times as good.

DisneyMichelle

I have been many times in November and it is my favourite time of year to go. It is ready for christmas, you get the fake snow falling in main street and it always makes me feel ready for chrismas.

I have not been before in Feb so cannot comment, however i am going in the feb half term next year so will get to see it then and decide what i prefer best.

either time of year your have an amazing time! x
I was once told to have a happy place in your mind for when times get hard. Disneyland Paris is my happy place. :)

jeakat24

Some excellent points, thank you. Seems like you're all as torn as me!

We were thinking that in a few years we'd probably try and go for Christmas as my sons birthday is the 27th Dec so we thought about going either for Christmas Day itself, arriving on the 23rd/24th, or on Boxing Day and spending his birthday there too. So Christmas time would be a possibility in the future, in three or four years.

But then I'm assuming that after this Christmas season there won't be a guarantee of meeting both Anna and Elsa, but then I can't base a whole trip on that, can I? It's not helping that if we book November it will only be 2 months away!! Though that does mean getting my sons passport sorted pronto!!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

itslizi

If you are able to return, even if it will be in 3 or 4 years, I would go in February.

February would be an easier for you in terms of your son, and you'll be able to go back and experience the Christmas season around his birthday and Christmas when he's old enough to remember more, maybe.

I say go with your daughters birthday this time, go to Auberge meet some Princesses, whilst it may not be Anna and Elsa in years to come they could be more common to see around the park and I swear they're currently in the parade so your children will still be able to catch a glimpse.

It's hard to resist booking a holiday that's closer, but you're got to properly weight it all up. I booked around six months ago and go this coming Sunday, it's been a long wait, but it's been nice to countdown to as it keeps you going.

At the end of the day, it's your choice.

Sonyak3

Christmas time really is amazing there..so amazing I booked it this year as oppose to feb which was originally my plan but with your son been dat age feb would be more enjoyable as he could do a little more aswell and also no sterlizing etc..I would love to do my kids birthdays thou hopefully in d future,think it would be cool..it will be amazing no matter when u go thou :)

moonloo

Hi there!!! Firstly, you are going to DLRP so it really is win win as you say!!  :D :D :D :D :D
Now, we usually go in March (the week before half term) however in 2012 we did the week before christmas (we left on 23/12/12) and I must say if I could do christmas again I definatley would, the snow that falls on main street during the parade, the muppets christmas carol music playing over and over on a loop, mulled wine at Disney village, nommmmmmmm!!!!
I see what you are saying about February and agree with previous posts in that the littlest member of your group being more aware/not needing steralised bottles etc is a good reason for february...
I dont know what formula your little one is on but is it one that you can by in pre made glass bottles that you can then just use individually sealed single use teats? It would be very expensive but might be a way around not having to steralise while you are out there? Also, when we go in March it is between seasons but I have never felt that I have missed out because of it so I dont think that should sway you too much away from february...
Anna and Elsa would be a big draw for me too, we are booked to go again 23/3/15... I just hope they stick around or I will be kicking myself for not doing christmas again!!
Just glancing back over this I realise I have both waffled on and been entirely unhelpful, apologies and have fun deciding!!!  :D :D :D :D

jeakat24

Quote from: moonloo on September 03, 2014, 09:05:24 PM
Hi there!!! Firstly, you are going to DLRP so it really is win win as you say!!  :D :D :D :D :D
Now, we usually go in March (the week before half term) however in 2012 we did the week before christmas (we left on 23/12/12) and I must say if I could do christmas again I definatley would, the snow that falls on main street during the parade, the muppets christmas carol music playing over and over on a loop, mulled wine at Disney village, nommmmmmmm!!!!
I see what you are saying about February and agree with previous posts in that the littlest member of your group being more aware/not needing steralised bottles etc is a good reason for february...
I dont know what formula your little one is on but is it one that you can by in pre made glass bottles that you can then just use individually sealed single use teats? It would be very expensive but might be a way around not having to steralise while you are out there? Also, when we go in March it is between seasons but I have never felt that I have missed out because of it so I dont think that should sway you too much away from february...
Anna and Elsa would be a big draw for me too, we are booked to go again 23/3/15... I just hope they stick around or I will be kicking myself for not doing christmas again!!
Just glancing back over this I realise I have both waffled on and been entirely unhelpful, apologies and have fun deciding!!!  :D :D :D :D

No, not waffling at all. I can get the premade bottles but he hates the shape of the teat that comes with them.  ::) only thing he's fussy with! But thanks for the idea.

Quote from: itslizi on September 03, 2014, 02:53:37 PM
If you are able to return, even if it will be in 3 or 4 years, I would go in February.

February would be an easier for you in terms of your son, and you'll be able to go back and experience the Christmas season around his birthday and Christmas when he's old enough to remember more, maybe.

I say go with your daughters birthday this time, go to Auberge meet some Princesses, whilst it may not be Anna and Elsa in years to come they could be more common to see around the park and I swear they're currently in the parade so your children will still be able to catch a glimpse.

It's hard to resist booking a holiday that's closer, but you're got to properly weight it all up. I booked around six months ago and go this coming Sunday, it's been a long wait, but it's been nice to countdown to as it keeps you going.

At the end of the day, it's your choice.

I think this is how I'm feeling at the moment. Just speaking to dp about it, again, and he's he's fairly certain about feb. He said I could change his mind with some persuasion but with my mind not set I don't think I have it in me to try  :)

I'm going to get so jealous reading about the Christmas season on twitter and here though, and I'll have to wait a few more months to go. But as Moonloo said, going to Disneyland and that's the main thing!

Thanks for all the input everyone. I know I'll probably keep wondering whether I've made the right choice until we go and have a fabulous time and then I'll be wondering why I ever questioned when to go! Thanks again
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

kc26

I had the same decision to make as you to go at christmas or end Jan/beg Feb.  I decided on End Jan/beg Feb as the queues are not as long and having a baby in a pram there is nothing worse than waiting in queues in the cold.  I have also booked the Sequoia Lodge as it was affordable at that time of the year, and it means we can use the pool once thepark closes or if it gets too cold for the baby it is closer to walk back while hubby can stay in the park with my other son.  I am going to wait a couple of years to go at christmas that way my baby will be older and get into the christmas spirit too my son will also be too old for santa at that time so it will give him some of the Christmas magic back too.

moonloo

Oh queues, true story!!!! Absolutley that is a plus point right there for February! I ommitted that because we use the disabled pass and dont really have to queue much so it's less of a decision for us.

Salma40

Hi, there, what exciting decisions to make!

f you are planning to go back at Christmas in a few years then I would definitely choose Feb this time, mainly for lesser queuing times, especially with the children being so young. We went in May this year and walked on most of the rides with no queueing. Went back in mid August and found the queuing very painful with a 5 and 7 year old! We are going back between Christmas and New Year and I have to admit I am dreading hiw busy it will be.

If you do go Feb will be far quieter and you'll be able to try most things and enjoy it. I think if my first trip had been mid August I possibly may never have returned!

Have a lovely time whichever choice you make.

jeakat24

Quote from: kc26 on September 04, 2014, 01:56:41 AM
I had the same decision to make as you to go at christmas or end Jan/beg Feb.  I decided on End Jan/beg Feb as the queues are not as long and having a baby in a pram there is nothing worse than waiting in queues in the cold.  I have also booked the Sequoia Lodge as it was affordable at that time of the year, and it means we can use the pool once thepark closes or if it gets too cold for the baby it is closer to walk back while hubby can stay in the park with my other son.  I am going to wait a couple of years to go at christmas that way my baby will be older and get into the christmas spirit too my son will also be too old for santa at that time so it will give him some of the Christmas magic back too.

Are you me?  :) I could have written that myself!

Thanks for all the advice, we're definitely decided on February now. One thing I didn't mention was that we've invited my mother in law along for the trip and now my father in law wants to come too, which is good because they can do their own thing if they don't want to do what we're doing, instead of my mother in law feeling like she has to stick with us!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

gemma2806

Just seen your decision, I would definitely go with Sequoia over Cheyenne as it is my favourite hotel. I have stayed in both but personally i think Cheyenne is better for the warmer months.

However I would have gone November as this time of year is my favourite! The queues are non-existent! Last year I did all of Fantasyland in an hour and Crush's Coaster was a 15-20 min wait all week! There are very few rides closed this time of year as well. You get to meet Santa, there is snow falling on Main Street, everywhere is just magical.

You'll have a wonderful time whenever you go regardless  ;D

jeakat24

Well we've booked it now!

What I didn't mention in my last posts was that we had invited my mother in law along (but she didn't have confirmation from her work for the time off so I didn't say anything) and to our surprise my father in law wanted to come too. They're not really Disney people (I know, I know!) but they did a couple of days in WDW last year and really enjoyed it.

So we stuck with the plan for February but when we showed my mother in law the hotels she wanted to stay in HNY (mainly because of the hot breakfast!) so we've gone for that instead. Only £100 more (or £30 more than a Montana room) and although the theming of the Sequoia would have been lovely that time of year it will be nice knowing that we won't have to go outside to get to breakfast.

At the moment everyone wants to do a day in Paris, but I don't so I'm tempted to let them take the kids and I can have a day in the parks to myself   :D

Again, thanks for all your help!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge