Travelling to Disneyland Paris

Started by itslizi, August 26, 2014, 11:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itslizi

I've reached the 10 day countdown to my next trip and I'm extremely nervous about travelling. Whilst my nerves will ease a little once I've checked in at London St Pancras ready to board the Eurostar direct to Disneyland, but the journey to London is freaking me out. I will be using the line between Peterborough and London Kings Cross on a Sunday and every so often they have issues along that line, which is why I fear the worst which is why I'll be taking the easiest train just so if there's any delays I will have time available.

Sorry to ramble on, I'm just an nervous traveller and would love some reassurance. What happens if I arrive late. There's only one direct train to Disneyland!!!

Andybear

Quote from: itslizi on August 26, 2014, 11:55:28 PM
I've reached the 10 day countdown to my next trip and I'm extremely nervous about travelling. Whilst my nerves will ease a little once I've checked in at London St Pancras ready to board the Eurostar direct to Disneyland, but the journey to London is freaking me out. I will be using the line between Peterborough and London Kings Cross on a Sunday and every so often they have issues along that line, which is why I fear the worst which is why I'll be taking the easiest train just so if there's any delays I will have time available.

Sorry to ramble on, I'm just an nervous traveller and would love some reassurance. What happens if I arrive late. There's only one direct train to Disneyland!!!

I live in the Hitchin area and will be travelling to London on the same line as you on Sunday 14th September.  There are engineering works that day but I've rung the train company and they said they won't affect Hitchin.  However I feel the same as you, am in a panic about that journey, so am aiming to catch the first train that morning - 6.28.  It'll mean getting to St Pancras 3 hours before the Eurostar is due to leave but I'd prefer to do that rather than catching a later train and panicking the whole time.

itslizi

Quote from: Andybear on August 27, 2014, 12:06:45 AM
I live in the Hitchin area and will be travelling to London on the same line as you on Sunday 14th September.  There are engineering works that day but I've rung the train company and they said they won't affect Hitchin.  However I feel the same as you, am in a panic about that journey, so am aiming to catch the first train that morning - 6.28.  It'll mean getting to St Pancras 3 hours before the Eurostar is due to leave but I'd prefer to do that rather than catching a later train and panicking the whole time.

It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one. I will be going on the 7th September and my boyfriend has checked and apparently there isn't any engineering works that day, but I'll have to double check.

Although I don't do mornings, I'll be departing Peterborough at 6:46 and arriving in London just after 8:00. I rather be there in good time, then be at risk of being late if my train is delayed.

I've used the line quite a few times between Peterborough and Stevenage when I used the route to get to and from University and there was once when I got delayed in Hitchin as there was a queue of trains ahead waiting due to a person jumping in front of a train in London, yet whilst it's only happened once, I can't help but worry has I have an important connection.

I swear I'm crazy.

DisneyRon

Quote from: itslizi on August 27, 2014, 12:36:55 AM

I swear I'm crazy.

nah, not crazy, just a worrier like plenty of people. ;D
I've got similar feelings about my trip on the 14th, though I don't need to get to London, only Rotterdam and like you and Andy I will be taking the earliest train possible and be at my Thalys pick-up far earlier than needed just to be on the safe side. :D

moopmoop93

Me and my family live in Stamford, one stop from Peterborough so we have to catch the same line. We always travel down the day before we need to get the eurostar and stay in London in a travelodge near st pancras. We're a family of worriers as well and we've found out this is the easiest option for us :)
Sequoia Lodge - Sierra Lodge Aug 2006
Sequoia Lodge - Montanna Room (upgraded to GFC rooms for free) Feb 2014
Sequoia Lodge -Lodges Feb 2015

captain rocket

If the worst happens and you miss the Eurostar direct there are other options to still get there on the day! There are indirect trains where you change at Lille and although you may be charged extra, you will still get there on the day.
Stop worrying and look forward to your trip!!!!!

itslizi

Quote from: moopmoop93 on August 27, 2014, 08:08:52 AM
Me and my family live in Stamford, one stop from Peterborough so we have to catch the same line. We always travel down the day before we need to get the eurostar and stay in London in a travelodge near st pancras. We're a family of worriers as well and we've found out this is the easiest option for us :)

I have been tempted to go down the evening before and stay at a Hotel, but my boyfriend is reluctant as it's a waste of money now we have everything booked, and we didn't want to spend an extra £100 to go to Buffalo Bills so why am I willing to spend £100 for a hotel and train tickets just so I don't worry as much in the morning. I have a feeling that if there is a next time, I'll be travelling to London to night before. Nerves make me feel awful.

itslizi

Quote from: captain rocket on August 27, 2014, 09:25:05 AM
If the worst happens and you miss the Eurostar direct there are other options to still get there on the day! There are indirect trains where you change at Lille and although you may be charged extra, you will still get there on the day.
Stop worrying and look forward to your trip!!!!!

It's hard to stop worrying, when you're a worrier. I think I'll be absolutely fine once I reach the waiting area at Eurostar. I suppose there is a couple of other trains, but I would worry about the change of train, just in case I don't know what I'm doing. Even if that happened and we missed our connection, as we'll be delayed by another train we have the chance to ask for compensation.

Thank you, I really can't wait for it - excitement overload.

andrewuk

St Pancras is not a bad place to spend a couple of hours anyway. There are plenty of shops and snack bars and you can get some nice photos taken by the big 'meeting place' statue. I always feel that the holiday begins when I get to St Pancras (or Waterloo back in the old days).
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

Andybear

I did think about staying in a hotel in London on 13th Sept but I'm going solo and don't want to pay the single supplement on the room - I'd rather keep that money for spends when I'm at DLP.  So I'll be at Hitchin railway station at 6.15 am to catch the 6.28 am train on Sunday 14th, panicking on my own!! 

Incidentally, my travel documents arrived today - the postman delivered then when I was at work :-)

itslizi

Quote from: Andybear on August 27, 2014, 07:43:11 PM
I did think about staying in a hotel in London on 13th Sept but I'm going solo and don't want to pay the single supplement on the room - I'd rather keep that money for spends when I'm at DLP.  So I'll be at Hitchin railway station at 6.15 am to catch the 6.28 am train on Sunday 14th, panicking on my own!! 

Incidentally, my travel documents arrived today - the postman delivered then when I was at work :-)

I don't envy you. I would freak out on my own.

Exactly, maybe my money would be better spend in the shops in Disneyland.

I don't have any documents to wait for, we printed our Eurostar tickets off, then our train tickets came quite a while back.

I'll have to leave the house at 5:40 to get to the station at Peterborough for 6:46, it's going to be a long, long, long day.

moopmoop93

We tend to book it well in advance for the room overnight. Last time we went for a family of four in 2 rooms (2 ads in each) we paid 12.50 each for a travelodge just round the corner from st pancras. I work in travel so I'm a bit of a hotel snob but I found it to be okay, just for the one night :) xx
Sequoia Lodge - Sierra Lodge Aug 2006
Sequoia Lodge - Montanna Room (upgraded to GFC rooms for free) Feb 2014
Sequoia Lodge -Lodges Feb 2015

Andybear

Quote from: itslizi on August 27, 2014, 11:36:43 PM
Quote from: Andybear on August 27, 2014, 07:43:11 PM

I don't envy you. I would freak out on my own.

Exactly, maybe my money would be better spend in the shops in Disneyland.

I don't have any documents to wait for, we printed our Eurostar tickets off, then our train tickets came quite a while back.

I'll have to leave the house at 5:40 to get to the station at Peterborough for 6:46, it's going to be a long, long, long day.

I'll be leaving home at 6.00 am and yes it is going to be a long day.  I doubt if I'll do many rides when I get there that day.  Will go up in the balloon if it's in operation and do some shopping.  Have an early dinner then have a cocktail in the hotel bar  :D  Then an early night ready to start properly on the Monday  :D

itslizi

Quote from: moopmoop93 on August 28, 2014, 08:03:54 AM
We tend to book it well in advance for the room overnight. Last time we went for a family of four in 2 rooms (2 ads in each) we paid 12.50 each for a travelodge just round the corner from st pancras. I work in travel so I'm a bit of a hotel snob but I found it to be okay, just for the one night :) xx

If another trip is on the cards in the future, that's what I'm going to have to do least it will be a bit cheaper if booked in advance.

Quote from: Andybear on August 28, 2014, 08:28:44 AM
I'll be leaving home at 6.00 am and yes it is going to be a long day.  I doubt if I'll do many rides when I get there that day.  Will go up in the balloon if it's in operation and do some shopping.  Have an early dinner then have a cocktail in the hotel bar  :D  Then an early night ready to start properly on the Monday  :D

I think I'll be doing something quite similar, maybe go on some rides that aren't big thrills, watch the parade and grab some food. I would want to watch Disney Dreams on the first night though, as when the days go on my feet ache that I don't have the energy to walk back out to the park for Dreams.

Slimy yet satisfying

O gosh you guys do make me giggle!
Try travelling from Scotland...for us its either a two and a half hour drive to the airport, up to a three hour check in, nearly a two hour flight, an hour for luggage and best part of an hour for transfer and check in! Or a 12-16 hour drive to dover depending whether we have our 28 foot caravan to drag, a 90 min check in plus 90 min ferry crossing then a four hour drive from calais. I wish we only had to worry about short train journeys or an overnight stop...whatever you are worrying about paying from southern england add at least another £100 per person for flights or fuel from north of the wall. Oh and we go straight to the park and hit it hard too! Honestly as my teenage daughter would say" man up princess!" It's only paris not the moon! :D
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.