Disneyland Paris - Gay Friendly?

Started by Sam55, August 23, 2014, 05:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam55

Hi all
We are a married same sex couple from UK with a daughter who will be 2 when we plan to visit next May.
We will go regardless, but rather know what reception we are likely to get before we go.
We will be staying at Newport Bay.
I know we shouldn't have to worry in this day and age, but don't want our daughter subjected to any unnecessary hostility. 
Many thanks in advance sam :)
Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest  May 2015
Newport Bay Club Compass Club December 2015

msRavenswood

Welcome to the forum Sam! I don't believe there is prejudice towards gay couples, at least not from the people who work at DLP. I guess there will always be people (guests) who might give occassional odd looks and be rude, but they can be unfortunately found everywhere! If you do happen to encounter such behaviors, don't let them spoil your holidays! I hope the 3 of you have lots of fun and that it will be a magical experience for your daughter!   :D

captain rocket

My wife does not enjoy Disney or travelling, so I visit DLRP with a gay friend and we always share a room and  have never met any prejudice or reaction from staff member who may assume we are gay!
I am sure you will have a great visit.

Sam55

Thank you so much for your lovely replies Captain Rocket and msRavenswood  :)
We appreciate that sadly there are people in the world that do not agree with our love and family.
We have only taken her to Gran Canaria so far (as a safe bet as we knew it was gay friendly).
I think I was more worried about the staff at the hotel really, so am reassured by your replies that this won't be a problem.
Can't wait till next May :) We Are about to book and think will be staying at Newport Bay.
We are flying on the evening fight from Heathrow (due to work commitments) and will not arrive at Paris airport until 22.20 - would either of you recommend the best way to get to the hotels with a toddler - least hassle possible especially as will be way past her bedtime :(
Thanks again
Sam :)

PrincessA

DLP is only 20 miles from Paris airport, so I would recommend taking the shuttle bus because it goes directly there. I think it takes an hour though, so I'm not sure if that might be a bit too much for your little one.
Have a lovely trip xx

Rafael

I had the same concern before, but there is no need to worry. :)
I have been there with my partner staying on-site twice and we were warmly welcomed at reception both times. From the moment we arrived at the hotel, staff at the hotel made us feel at home. We can't wait to go back soon.

Have a great trip! :)

captain rocket

Glad to have helped! With regard to getting to DLRP, at that time of night there are no Shuttle coaches at that time and the last TGV has gone so your choices are a taxi when you arrive or a prebooked shuttle. I usually fly from Bristol with Easyjet and as the flight arrives after 20.00 I always use a shared shuttle which I prebook.
There are two types of shuttles, private or shared, private is more expensive shared is less so. Everyone has their favourite shuttle provider, I use a company called RS transport and currently pay 39 euros for the two of us. They meet you just outside of the arrivals area and take you straight to the front door of your hotel. Out of the last ten trips or so I have only shared a shuttle once! And yes, they will provide a child booster seat.

SUTHEL3

I've been with my best friend who is also a girl and plenty people do the same so I wouldn't have thought you'd have an issue. For all they know we could have been together, but we didnt get any funny looks or anything :) also, most people will be so focused on having fun and taking everything in, they may not notice anyone around them! I don't recall seeing any gay couples when I went, and thats probably because of the above haha.

you'll have a great time!! X

gemma2806

To me Disney is about spending quality time with the ones you love and that is exactly what you'll be doing so anyone who doesn't like it can lump it!

I can't see that you would be met with any unpleasantness so just enjoy your holiday together. Your daughter is going to love it but so will you!!

Have a magical trip  :D

Sam55

Thank you everyone :-)
We are so excited. We have now confirmed our booking at Newport Bay and we are now contemplating driving there as time wise it will work out better and less stress with no airport hassle etc with our little girl.
Plus with now baggage restrictions, we can buy her more Mickey and Minnie toys ;-). It's also going to save us about £400 as no airport parking or transfers and tunnel about £100 instead of £300 flight!
Happy days lol (can't say I'm not a tad scared about driving, but have driven in America a few times so can't be too bad can it...?!)

Thanks again all xx

DisneyRon

As long as you don't go into Paris proper with your car you should be fine, the French do have a bit of a murderously terrible reputation when it comes to driving, but that doesn't really show unless you're in a major city. ;D

nathalie

Concerning staff members, I don't think there'll be a problem, does DLRP still do the gay-day every year?
I remember I was there back in 2006 when it was that day.

Other guests, don't look at them, enjoy yourselfs, you are there for you, and not to please someone else  ;)

DisneyMichelle

Hello

We have driven countless times to Disney. We live in kent and get the ferry or tunnel to Calais.
The drive in france is ok. It takes no more then 3 hours including a couple of toilet breaks etc.

Or your other option would be the eurostar - 2hours and your in the park - easy peasy! :)

Have a lovely time xx
I was once told to have a happy place in your mind for when times get hard. Disneyland Paris is my happy place. :)

littlebitofpixiedust

Have a magical trip!  :) your daughter will love every moment as will you both I am sure!

I would like to think that staff give everybody at Disney a warm welcome, and I am sure you will be no exception. The staff are friendly (those we've encounterd anyway) and as for any guests that may judge let them, ignore it as best you can. My sons disabled and we get odd looks from a few people at times wherever we go. Rise above it, who are they'll judge?

I hope you do a trip report of your experience! And above all have FUN were of in a fortnight and cannot wait!

Esti

In DLP you can see all kinds of families. That includes rich arab polygamists with their 4 wifes in burqa, all of their children and 3 Filipino maids. Most people won't notice you, many of those who do notice you won't care, and those who care will probably say nothing. We're all on vacation, after all.