Full on geeking out! Recommendations please!

Started by Mrsya, May 27, 2014, 09:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrsya

Just returned from our first trip to DLRP and am now a fully fledged addict!  :D

Can any of you veteran Disneyland Paris experts (is there a name for you?) recommend some good fan sites (I only know this one!), behind the scenes/secrets/urban myth type reading, or suggest things I might want to search for/watch? I had my heart set on the 'from sketch to reality' book as my birthday treat (tomorrow) but then saw the price!!

Also, interested in getting some retro prints/posters of the five lands... Does anyone know where I might start looking for them? Also, where might I be able to look for a dragon statue/ornament?

Thanks in advance for indulging my new obsession!

ewormas

Hi,

Glad you are addicted too! Off the top of my head id look at filipv on youtube, pixiedust.be, dedicatedtodlp.com and insidedlparis on fb or twitter.  Oh and dlrpfans.be is good for pics too.  The best place to get attraction posters is back in Disney village-a great excuse to go back I think!

Welcome to our geeky world!  :D

Mrsya

jenniedisney

Glad we have another Disney fan.

All the above sites are fab places!!
Disneyland Paris - Fans is another good fb page. Its all written in French but that doesn't bother me (only basic conversational french)

I also have searched for endless videos on youtube. I am an AVID Disney fan! There isn't much that I don't know :P. The videos really give an insight to all the secrets and myths and I tend to watch a new one every week. If you wanted a bit of Paris history then eurosouvenirland is another good site/fb page.
Been going to Disney since October 1992.
Hotels Stayed in:
Cheyenne 1992
Disneyland Hotel 1993-Present
Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel Castle Club 2007,2008,2010,2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Millennium Celebration 1999-2000 in Disneyland Hotel

WDW Cast Member 2016-2017
Stayed in EVERY resort on property

Mrsya

Thanks again. My hubbie has been letting me watch some YouTube docs.

Anyone any ideas about where I might be able to buy a nice disneyland ornament? The castle or the dragon maybe?

daddyof2

Everyone's taste is different, I quite like some of the snow globes available from the Disney Store and there are also some figurines that you might like. I know they're not all Disneyland Paris specific, so go for the old back up - Ebay

SGregory27

There is also a fan page on facebook called Disneyland Paris Fans, its a closed group so you send a request to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/572805429419305/

2016-Cheyenne
2015-Sequoia Lodge Honeymoon Suite
2015-Sequoia Lodge GF Lakeside
2014-Sequoia Lodge- Hubby's big 30
2013- Newport Bay- 1st time with kids 4y &1y
2008-Sequoia Lodge
2005-Sequoia Lodge - Got engaged
2004-Sequoia Lodge
1999-SL

david

I would say the best one for some serious reading is disneyandmore.blogspot.com The guy who runs it is one of the authors of From Sketch to Reality (a book he advertises on every single page) and although he says he's going to be wrapping it up soon, he's said that a million times before, so it'll probably be around for a while longer yet. His posts tend to be a little on the optimistic/naive side of the spectrum, but all along the side panel there are loads of links to great articles he's done in the past about EVERYTHING with lots of concept art and making-of stories to boot. I've wasted a lot of time reading all these!

Also @insidedlparis @cafefantasia and @dlprehabs are some fun people to follow on twitter.... if you really want to hear about every bit of drying cement and bit of paintwork in the parks.

perrollaz

Don't forget to try:
Dlpguide.com and
Dlptoday.com

DLRP Roundup!

From Sketch to Reality occasionally goes on offer, keep an eye on the Disneyandmore blog and you'll see if from time to time. Alain sometimes will post an offer or two for the magicforum members.

There's another really good book for about £35 from DLP official "20 years of Dreams" and it's also very very good!
The Roundup
News | Forum | Gallery | Waits | Crowd Forecasts

never2old

Quote from: davidrsykes on June 14, 2014, 07:38:45 PM
Also @insidedlparis @cafefantasia and @dlprehabs are some fun people to follow on twitter.... if you really want to hear about every bit of drying cement and bit of paintwork in the parks.

Don't we all?  ;D ;)

HFJohnson

Welcome to the obsession!

Sketch is a fantastic book and well worth the extra cost. Also, if you love the posters you can see around the parks I'd recommend Poster Art of the Disney Parks, which was around £20 from Amazon. It has posters from all the Disney parks, including a lot from DLP.

Definitely sign up to the Dedicated to DLP podcast too.

samuelvictor

QuoteAlso, interested in getting some retro prints/posters of the five lands... Does anyone know where I might start looking for them?

Ever since I first arrived in the Park I wondered why they didn't sell posters or prints of the cool retro style land and attraction posters. Until last year there seemed literally no legal way to get them.

As far as I'm aware, the only place you can get official posters and prints of the park is through "Art of Disney On Demand" at the resort which opened last year - you chose your artwork, size and how you want it (poster, canvas etc) and they deliver them to your house. They have pretty much all the old retro style posters for the lands and attractions. Here's a video with more details http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLwd8JPrjYU

Prices here: http://timeless-disney.tumblr.com/post/62703935417/the-art-of-disney-on-demand-pricing

Unfortunately I don't think you can order from them online. If you could I would have bought some by now! Will certainly be checking them out when I get to the park next.

Its not exclusive to Paris, but this book has many of the classic designs from the parks:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1423124111
You could of course remove the pages and frame them, or scan them and see if you can find a local printer willing to reproduce them for you...

Mrsya

Thank you both very much for these new replies! I'm still very much geeking out, but our next trip is now only around 80 days away and boy is this one going to be a tad more expensive now I have my wish list!