Planning a trip over Christmas and New Year :D

Started by samuelvictor, August 04, 2014, 06:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samuelvictor

Hi everyone :)

I'm a married dad, and we have 2 great kids, a 12 year old girl and 14 year old boy. We've been to Disneyland Paris before always on budget holidays around March, always off-peak, and stayed in the Santa Fe for either 4 or 5 nights. In the past we've travelled by Eurostar. We have had an absolutely wonderful time, but have always been fairly "hard up", essentially bankrupting ourselves to get there in the first place, and we never have any spending money or money for food - the only time we've eaten in the Disney restaurants is once when we had lunch in Billy Bob's because our friends' band was playing during the Welsh festival ;D

I went a little "mad" earlier in the year and booked a surprise trip for Christmas! In fact we're literally booked from 19th of December to Christmas day itself 25th! 7 days will be the longest we've ever stayed in the park, and as our kids are a little older now we've opted for the Cheyenne so that they can have a bunk each rather than sharing a double bed like in the Santa Fe!

I've not booked the travel back yet as we are hoping to save up between now and then and rent a cheap hotel or chalet near Paris from Christmas day to maybe just after New Year, as we've never really "done" Paris and it'll make the holiday feel even longer and like we've done it all "properly" :)

I have so many Questions about being in DLRP and the surrounding area over Christmas and New Year, so I hope that anyone who has been and done it before can answer so we can plan a bit better (and just as an excuse to start thinking about it and getting excited now!)

Q1: We already know that we won't be able to afford the specific special "Christmas" meals, these are far to expensive. However we'd like to have at least a few nice cheaper meals in the park or village during our stay. Will the standard cheaper places to eat still be open and the normal prices over the Christmas period? (we are considering getting a meal plan but may not quite be able to afford that - also I don't know if the prices stay the same over Christmas)

Q2: We're hoping that the Parade and Disney Dreams will still be running whilst we are there. I know that there used to be an evening light-up parade as well, but this was never running when we went in the past and I don't know if its likely to be running again in the future. It's my assumption that there are some kind of "special" Christmas themed parade or shows etc - if so will these run every day, or are there specific ones for just Christmas Eve, Christmas Day or New Year's eve etc? (I guess what I'm asking is will there be any advantage in queing and standing for busy shows on the "special" days, or would we be able to catch the same show a day earlier or later and perhaps get a better view and less waiting?

Q3: Is it likely that lots of attractions and shows won't be running because of the cold weather? (just preparing ourselves as we haven't been in winter before)

Q4: Is it going to be packed to the brim and lots of ques compared to what we are used to in March/April?

Q5: We've currently got park tickets for the 19th to the 25th December, but will likely be staying in the Paris area till past New Year. Is it worth us trying to buy extra park tickets to get back in on New Year's Eve or New Year's day? Does anything specific happen on those days that we wouldn't have seen from 19th-25th?

Q6: Anyone know of a particularly cheap hotel or chalet, appartment etc in Paris or Marne-la-Vallée etc that we could book from the 25th onwards?

Q7: Are public transport (trains, shuttle buses etc) likely to be running on Christmas Day for when we sign out of the Cheyenne and move on to our new place?

Wow thats a lot of questions, sorry about that! Really we're just excited and it'll be nice to hear any input of what DLRP is like over Christmas :) Thanks everyone!

bad-pink-tink

Hi I was in DLP last Christmas. I was with my mum and we stayed in Sequoia Lodge. We arrived on December 23, had Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and December 26 in the park and travelled home on Decmber 27. You can read my trip report here https://forum.dlpguide.com/index.php?topic=16498.0

I have answered some of your questions

Quote from: samuelvictor on August 04, 2014, 06:27:46 PM
Q1: We already know that we won't be able to afford the specific special "Christmas" meals, these are far to expensive. However we'd like to have at least a few nice cheaper meals in the park or village during our stay. Will the standard cheaper places to eat still be open and the normal prices over the Christmas period? (we are considering getting a meal plan but may not quite be able to afford that - also I don't know if the prices stay the same over Christmas)
Yes , all the standard cheaper places are open, for their usual opening times and the prices are the same.

Q2: We're hoping that the Parade and Disney Dreams will still be running whilst we are there. I know that there used to be an evening light-up parade as well, but this was never running when we went in the past and I don't know if its likely to be running again in the future. It's my assumption that there are some kind of "special" Christmas themed parade or shows etc - if so will these run every day, or are there specific ones for just Christmas Eve, Christmas Day or New Year's eve etc? (I guess what I'm asking is will there be any advantage in queing and standing for busy shows on the "special" days, or would we be able to catch the same show a day earlier or later and perhaps get a better view and less waiting?
Yes Dreams will be on, at whatever time the park closes. At the moment, we only have last years Christmas season schedule to go by. Last year there were 2 daytime Christmas themed parades and a Christmas tree lighting ceremony.  They run every day and are not specific to Christmas Eve, Christmas Day. The parades are the same on Christmas day as on say 25 November.

Q3: Is it likely that lots of attractions and shows won't be running because of the cold weather? (just preparing ourselves as we haven't been in winter before)
No , very little closures in DLP due to bad weather. I have seen the parade "swim" its way up mainstreet in heavy heavy rain :) The only difference in heavy wind and rain is that rubbish bins are put lying down and parasols / umbrellas at seating areas are closed.

Q4: Is it going to be packed to the brim and lots of ques compared to what we are used to in March/April?
omg yes, sorry :(  Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and December 26 are peak capacity. Most queue times on Christmas day are around 60 minutes, while the more popular ones like Buzz can be around 100 or more minutes.

Q5: We've currently got park tickets for the 19th to the 25th December, but will likely be staying in the Paris area till past New Year. Is it worth us trying to buy extra park tickets to get back in on New Year's Eve or New Year's day? Does anything specific happen on those days that we wouldn't have seen from 19th-25th?
I think the only difference is that the parks stay open until midnight. In the past there have been fireworks on the lake, but people who have been there for New Year last year will be able to tell you exactly what it was like.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

samuelvictor

Hi bad-pink-tink, thanks so much for these answers :)

QuoteYes , all the standard cheaper places are open, for their usual opening times and the prices are the same.
That's fantastic news. There are a good few restaurants that are within our price range. It remains to be seen how many meals we will be able to afford, but its our aim to have at least 2, as the most we've done so far is 1 in a trip. We might try some snack options as well like Earl of Sandwich or McDonalds in the Village if we can't afford a full meal :)

QuoteYes Dreams will be on, at whatever time the park closes.
I'm really glad about that - we've not actually managed to see it yet, other than online videos. We were last in the park in early 2012, just before it started. We did get to see a nice firework display (Welsh festival) but I'm really excited to see the effect of the projection on the castle for the first time. I really love the Paris castle design.

QuoteLast year there were 2 daytime Christmas themed parades
As in Christmas themed versions of the main parade in DLP and Stars in Cars in DSP? Or two "proper" parades in DLP?

Quoteand a Christmas tree lighting ceremony.
We've seen a couple of people mention this - what is it like? Is it just Mickey and Minnie pressing a button by the big Christmas tree - or..? It's hard to imagine! Sounds like it'll be a real nice Christmassy atmosphere anyway! :)

QuoteThey run every day and are not specific to Christmas Eve, Christmas Day. The parades are the same on Christmas day as on say 25 November.
That's incredibly useful to know, thank you! We tend to watch each show or parade once, and then use those times to take advantage of smaller ques on other days! Sounds like it would be worth our while watching the Christmas shows as early as possible to avoid the crush on the "real" days! Though I'm sure the atmosphere of loads of happy people around will be great to experience :)

QuoteNo , very little closures in DLP due to bad weather.
Oh thank you, that's good to know! I hope that we can get to see Pirates of the Caribbean - weirdly enough it has been closed EVERY SINGLE TIME we've ever been to the park! lol. We're determined to catch it this time!

Quoteomg yes, sorry :(  Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and December 26 are peak capacity. Most queue times on Christmas day are around 60 minutes, while the more popular ones like Buzz can be around 100 or more minutes.
Don't be sorry I was fully expecting that answer! It's ok though cos we're there for a lot longer than we usually are, and all the happy people will be part of the Christmassy atmosphere. As we're arriving on the 19th I'm sure that by the time the really busy times come we'll have done everything we want to do a couple of times over anyway! We tend to go in as soon as the parks open with EMH and stay until they close! We get our money's worth! ;) TBH 60-100 minutes on busy days sounds par for the course - we've often had to que for that kind of time for certain things anyway (usually Crush's Coaster & the Toy Story rides are particularly bad for this) - I was more meaning would it be like like some rides in Florida in the Summer Holidays, which can be 3-4 hours queing for a 30 second ride!

QuoteI think the only difference is that the parks stay open until midnight.
Ok that's good to know. In that case I think I wouldn't bother paying for extra tickets on that day, especially as it'll probably be one of the busier ones anyway. I have a feeling that Paris itself on New Years will have some fun stuff going on :)

QuoteIn the past there have been fireworks on the lake
I did wonder about that. Presumably to see this you wouldn't need tickets - you can just walk into the Village and to the lake, hotels etc. without tickets nowadays can't you?

Thanks for linking to your trip report, it was great to read the details of your trip, sounds like you had a great time :)

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: samuelvictor on August 04, 2014, 08:38:10 PM

QuoteLast year there were 2 daytime Christmas themed parades
As in Christmas themed versions of the main parade in DLP and Stars in Cars in DSP? Or two "proper" parades in DLP?

Yes Christmas themed parade. I just dug out the folder from our trip.
Christmas Cavalcade Parade ; Every Day at 11.10 am, 12.20pm and 1.35pm  except 24/ 25 December
                                                 24 /25 December at 12.05pm and 1.05pm
Disney Magic On Parade (Christmas theme) :Every Day at 4.45pm except 24/25 December
                                                                        24 December at 4pm
                                                                        25 December at 5pm

Quoteand a Christmas tree lighting ceremony.
We've seen a couple of people mention this - what is it like? Is it just Mickey and Minnie pressing a button by the big Christmas tree - or..? It's hard to imagine! Sounds like it'll be a real nice Christmassy atmosphere anyway! :)
I can't remember, I think I missed this. On last years schedule it was at 6pm and 7pm on Central Plaza, Main Street USA

QuoteNo , very little closures in DLP due to bad weather.
Oh thank you, that's good to know! I hope that we can get to see Pirates of the Caribbean - weirdly enough it has been closed EVERY SINGLE TIME we've ever been to the park! lol. We're determined to catch it this time!
Christmas week is peak time, its one of the few times when there are o scheduled maintaince closures.Every ride and attraction were open, so you will get to see Pirates.

Thanks for linking to your trip report, it was great to read the details of your trip, sounds like you had a great time :)
You are welcome :) some other things from last years schedule

Meet Santa Claus at Santa Claus Village, Cottonwood Creek Ranch, Frontierland
21, 22, 23, 24 and 25 December 10.30am to 5.30pm

Meet Jack and Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas
Every day from 10am to 12.15pm and 2.45pm to 4.15pm Thunder Mesa Riverboat Landing, Frontierland

The Jingle Bell Boys
Every day at 12pm, 12.45pm, 1.30pm, 3.15pm, 4pm at Videopolis, Discoveryland

Disney Village
Santa Claus Photo Location
Bubbles Entertainment
Christmas Family
Christmas Pop Girls
Christmas Market Stalls open from 4pm every day

Advent Calendar, Lobby Disneyland Hotel everyday until 24 December at 5.45pm

Also found information about New Year

Fireworks on the lake at midnight

In The Village
Khriss Come and Dance 7pm, 8pm, 9pm (street entertainment)
Les Gnomikys 7.30pm, 8.30pm, 9.30pm (street entertainment)
Cherry Swing & Heart Live from 7.30pm Billy Bobs
Live Music from 10pm Sports Bar
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

samuelvictor

Wow thank you so much for finding out all that information for me that's fantastic! I'm excited that there's 2 "proper" parades, and to see all that extra stuff like shows and things to see. Ooh getting excited now!  ;D My kids will be very happy if they do a meet & greet with Jack & Sally again this year, they love Nightmare Before Christmas.

I'm also very happy to hear that there will be no schedules maintenance closures - that's wonderful to hear - it's always a shame to turn up and find that someone's favourite thing isn't running.

It definitely sounds like it will have been worth our while to way the extra to be there over Christmas! Only trouble is now we need to save extra hard for spending money! ;)

By the way, I just updated my thread about badges with photos & details, there's a few Tink ones there :)

gemma2806

Bad Pink Tink has pretty much covered everything for you!

My only comments are:-

The Tree Lighting Ceremony is beautiful, I think we saw this 3 times in 7 days, it's set to music and the baubles on the tree change colour in time to the music and then it snows on Main Street while this is happening. If you stand further down Main Street towards the castle the garlands also change colour to the music! There is also no real bad place to stand to watch this so you can turn up at the last minute.

After doing a lot of calculating for my hols I have found that the meal plans do indeed save money but mainly the HB plus option is the better one to choose for choice and value for money. This means you can eat in your hotel buffet and also places likes Annette's Diner and Plaza Gardens Restaurant etc.

Be careful of planning to get into the parks after Christmas and up to New Year if you are not staying in a Disney Hotel. As Bad Pink Tink has said the parks very often fill to capacity and they will turn away people not staying in a Disney Hotel or one of the Selected Partner Hotels as these guests are the only ones guaranteed admission. Even when the park is full the Disney Hotel guests are admitted but others are not  :D

MinnieMum

I think all your questions have been answered but just thought I'd add that we stayed in the Cheyenne the week before Xmas and it was so nice, every morning as we walked to breakfast there would be country and western xmas songs playing. We quite often walked back from the park through the village and you walk past all the big xmas trees outside the hotels, it's lovely, I'm sure you will have a great time.

samuelvictor

@Gemma2806

QuoteThe Tree Lighting Ceremony is beautiful, I think we saw this 3 times in 7 days, it's set to music and the baubles on the tree change colour in time to the music and then it snows on Main Street while this is happening. If you stand further down Main Street towards the castle the garlands also change colour to the music! There is also no real bad place to stand to watch this so you can turn up at the last minute.
That sounds really lovely, thanks for that information, and useful tip! :) Also thanks for the info on meal plan prices!

QuoteBe careful of planning to get into the parks after Christmas and up to New Year if you are not staying in a Disney Hotel.
Thanks, I figured as much. We are only staying in a Disney hotel from 19th to 25th, after this we'll be finding a cheapie hotel, chalet or apartment somewhere in or around Paris. We'll be spending 7 days in the parks so we weren't planning on going back into the parks for boxing day to new year, unless it was particularly worth our while. We should be able to still go to the Disney Village area if we wanted to see fireworks etc anyway without tickets - unless they shut it down to non-ticket holders when its peak season...

@MinnieMum Thanks for the vote of confidence on the hotel! I know its one of the cheaper ones but we were always quite happy with the Santa Fe previously so I'm sure we'll like the Cheyenne. Yes I love the walk from the hotels to the parks, I'm looking forward to doing it past all the decorations :D