First time with a disabled guest....

Started by jenniedisney, May 05, 2014, 12:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenniedisney

Hi all,

We as a family have been to DLP many many times and for many many years....however this is the first time we have visited with one of us being in a wheelchair.

I have read the disabled guide, and it gives plenty of information about passes. As it is not a permanent disability I think we are entitled to the "Access Card".

The wheelchair occupant is my dad, with a badly broken leg. I think he is slightly mobile without the chair, on a pair of crutches.....but I think he prefers to be in the chair due to pain (I'm not entirely sure as i don't live with my parents)
Our group will be 4 people strong. All adults.

He has only ever liked the "slower" rides, not a roller coaster fan!! We do also eat out most of the time....Annettes, Walts, Steakhouse. We are staying in the Disneyland Hotel in Castle Club. This will be rather funny as we are known to the staff up there....they know us by name! So to see my dad in a wheelchair will be a slight shock to them all!

Has anyone got any experience they can share with me? We are very nervous about the trip (Early June). We don't quite know what to expect as this is completely new territory for us avid Disney goers!!
Been going to Disney since October 1992.
Hotels Stayed in:
Cheyenne 1992
Disneyland Hotel 1993-Present
Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel Castle Club 2007,2008,2010,2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Millennium Celebration 1999-2000 in Disneyland Hotel

WDW Cast Member 2016-2017
Stayed in EVERY resort on property

aquacat2

My suggestion is to head straight to guest services as you enter the park, they are the people in the know and are really helpful!
When I went with my family the cast members went out of their way to help us and the cast members at the rides will help if they can
I hope you enjoy your trip
Newport Bay Club- 2006
Ranch Davy Crockett - 2007
Hotel Santa Fe - 2015

glenn

If you go to city hall they will give you a disabled pass,with this you enter the ride on the exit end on most of the rides.
Be aware that on some rides the cast members will ask if you can climb ladders with your disability,this is in case the ride breaks down.
If you say you can,t climb ladders they won,t let you on the ride.