Trip Report Sequoia Lodge GF 9-14 April

Started by SVioletS, April 16, 2014, 03:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SVioletS

Hi all,

One week ago at this time we were landing at Orly Airport, and now, already back to reality... :( Anyway we had a great time (tantrums aside)! The parks looked beautiful, the weather was perfect and I loved this visit! :) Here's a trip report half written while we were still there!

This was a suprise trip for my DD1 7th birthday! the cast is me 34, DH 41, DD1 7 and DD2 3yo. We stayed in the Sequoia Lodge in a Golden Forest room!

Day 1 – Live TR
Going today!!! :) We've told the kids a while ago! I am glad I read a lot of reports of kids who had blah reactions! I was not disappointed lol the little one is kind of "ok were going to Disney..." and singing frozen songs. The big one is happy and I know she's excited! And she thanked and all, but she wasn't jumping up and down crying happy tears lol
So that's it for the big reveal! ;)
A taxi will pick us up soon and in no time we will be in dlp! ;)

So "brief" trip report! The flight here was a bit nerve racking... Two excited girls a bit of turbulence and  I really don't like flying! But it was rather quick and we had a nice meal of veggie lasagna.

Upon arrival at Orly we quickly collected the luggage and buggies. Prestige driver was already waiting. Nice service and I am glad we chose it over VEA shuttles! There was a lot of traffic, and it took us about an hour or more to arrive, it wasn't bad, it meant dd2 slept a while. Quick check in! Dd1 was given a voucher for an autograph book! :) In the room she had a birthday card, some chocolate coins and a bottle of water! Room is clean and hot!!!

After we unpacked we went down to golden forest lounge for some drinks and off we went for our Inventions dinner! Thanks to this forum we easily found the DLH entrance! We requested a window table and got a nice view of the castle. We toped our Plus vouchers and payed an extra 88,5 euros, which had DH bouncing of the walls! I had a glass of red wine, DH had one beer and DDs had ice-t. The food was really good and plenty of choice! DD1 ate plenty, and DD2 close to nothing! :)
Characters were: Minnie, Mickey, Eyeore, Gideon , Suzy and Perla. Goofy and Pluto were there too but we didn't meet them. I have to say they were amazing!! Gideon tickled DD1 and played with her Minnie ears! DD2 at first was really scared lol she cried, poor thing, and she was hiding under the table! But then Perla came to our table and made a big fuss of DD's Belle princess dress and was soo sweet to my DD! She lost her fear of characters, at least some of them! ;) Then Suzy came and DD2 was singing so Suzy clapped and was lovely too! I was so happy and thankful! DD1 loved all characters and there were lots of hugging and kissing!

After dinner we went into the park to watch dreams. We waited about 40min but got a nice place near the castle to the left. DD2 loved it! DD1 danced and clapped but said it was too loud and was too tired to fully enjoy it! I loved it! It was as amazing as ever! I liked the Merida scene which was new to me.

Then we came back to the hotel but went to GF lounge to get some drinks to bring to our room!

All in all a good day! ;)

First time ever: August 2000, one day visit!
August 2010, NewPort Bay, 5 days
October 2012, Sequoia Lodge, 5 days
April 2014, Sequoia Lodge, 6 days - Big 7th Bday Surprise for DD#1 :)
September 2015, Newport Bay 6 days - Another surprise!!!

SVioletS

Day 2 – Live TR
Seriously! I think it's amazing how so many people remember all they have done step by step and write it in a TR! Congrats to all! I on the other hand mix up everything! But I will try!

First of all it was a beautiful warm spring day! All we could have wished for! We had breakfast in the golden forest club and it was full but still it was a calm environment. DH wondered about sausages, he is pretty sure he had them last time in the regular sequoia breakfast... I can't remember! – Note: apparently we were both mixing up and there was never hot breakfast at the SL. This may be what will convince DH to book New York Hotel next time! ;)
After breakfast we came to the room to get our stuff and drink a coffee! :) Then off to the park for not so early EMH!
First thing we went on buzz practically walk on, and DD1 favourite ride, so we went 3 times in a row. Then DH went with both DDs on Orbitron, which I really don't like.

After that decide to try and see Rapunzel. We queued, but after standing in line for about 50 min we found out it would take another 1h45min we decided to try again tomorrow. Instead we went on BTM, we didn't use hotel fastpass because the queue seemed long and without fp it was a 30 min wait. I have to tell you.. I was nervous! DD1 had been on it last time and didn't like it, and it was DD2 first time. The outcome was not good, DD2 was having fun in the beginning but by the end of the ride started to be afraid... DD1 hated it and made me promise never to go on BTM again, ever! Bad mommy!

We left thinking we should find something to eat, but when we arrived at the central plaza the Spring Promenade show was about to begin. 5 min later it began! And I loved it! So much to see, so joyful so much fun! :) Worth to watch!
After the show, we had lunch at Au Chalet de la Marionnete. I also used the pause gourmande vouchers there, but will not use them again in there. The choice is not wide and it seems there is no flexibility, I asked for milk cartons - they sell for 1,79 and no... Couldn't have it, just cold drinks like coke that cost over 3euros... Anyway I brought bretzels sucre and bottles of water! DD1 and I enjoyed the bretzels.

After lunch we decided to go on Lacelots carousel, because DD2 had been asking. Apparently this is her favorite ride!
We went on the carousel, IASW, Les Pays des Contes des Fees and Caseys train. All in quick succession with small queues. All successful with both DDs! Yay!

By then it was 5pm so we went to find a spot for the parade! Again great fun! :) Afterwards I used hotel fastpass to go with DD1 on Buzz again! And got a pretty good score! :D Then again on the carousel!

It was now past 6pm so we decided to head to the village for our Cafe Mickey reservation! We got seated quickly upstairs but it took a while until we could order. The food was... Ok. Not too bad, but not very good either. The service was slow and unorganized. We waited a very long time for our desserts, but when they came they were very yummy! 
Character interaction was amazing! The best ever! We had Pluto, Goofy, Tigger, Eyeore and Mickey; so only 5, but they were really good. All came to our table more than once, all played with the girls and with us, Tigger jumped, Goofy had everyone in the restaurant shouting and clapping, Pluto was a good dog, Tigger and Goofy did the conga with all the children and then played with them, Mickey danced with our DDs... It was really good! Really recommend it, even if the food is not the best (or the worst) you will ever have. And the best, little to no scrum with kids around the characters! – Note: they now have a card on the table, explaining people that the characters will come to the table and the children should not follow them around. I think this is a good move from their part!

After dinner we just had a walk around the village, short visit to the Lego store, where the girls played with Legos, and back to the hotel with a pit stop in the GF lounge for some waters!

Ah, during breakfast we had Minnie and Winnie the Pooh! Also very nice interaction with Minnie making a big fuss of DD2 dress! And cuddles and kisses to begin the day! DD2 wanted to take Minnie home J

Now off to bed we have a long day tomorrow! ;)

SVioletS

Some side notes:

We had room 5291 on the 5th floor. We had a "view" over the rooftops! And I got a freight when a pigeon came banging into our window, which was closed! Luckily! If a view is important, than you should book Lake Side View!
The room was a typical SL room: we had tea kettle, nespresso machine, coffee got refilled daily, but if you have a preferred one or drink a lot of it, take your own!; we also had iron and ironing board; a big safe; a mini fridge we could use; and different (from last time) toiletries. I am not sure if it was due to GF room, but the hair dryer also seemed better, and we ended up not using ours.

We were happy with the room, and I don't regret having booked GF. However, tbh I would only book GF again if the price difference was small, or if going during high season to escape breakfast queues. When Dreams is on later, when you arrive at the hotel the lounge is already closed which makes it difficult to enjoy it at the end of the day. Anyway, for some reason DH didn't like to go there... so we just went quickly to get some drinks. Also, during breakfast all Cm's were nice, but in the afternoon we only got one that was very nice and polite and fun – he kept talking "Portuguese"! The others were very serious, and actually made me feel uncomfortable at times!

About pause gourmande vouchers, we didn't use them all. Once we used them for cakes and drinks, then asecond time for ice-cream and drinks, and a third time for drinks – at least I only wanted drinks, but had to have the cakes as well... The vouchers can only be used in the restaurants and only for the set menu. They can be useful, and it's nice to eat/drink something while waiting for the parade, but imo, I would prefer to be able to deduct the value in the counter service lunch. Maybe that's just me! ;)

SVioletS

Day 3 – Live TR
Another great day today! Lovely weather again, but not quite as warm as yesterday.

Today we manage to go earlier to breakfast and it was quite calm. We only met one character today and it was Winnie again! DDs like him so no problem! ;)

Then back to the room for some coffee and get our stuff and off we went! EMH were useful for some photos; then going to the castle; and then straight on to Dumbo! Both DDs enjoyed it!

I had considered going to queue for princess pavilion, but it was about 9.15 am, and already a very large queue... DH refused to queue to meet any princess, after the Rapunzel fiasco, so no princesses for us again today.
After Dumbo DD1 asked to go to the Teacups so we did that and afterwards once again the carousel, to make DD2 happy!
Queue to Pinochio was only 10min so that's where we went next. I actually thought it was a bit scary, but the girls were ok with it. But they weren't ok with the next ride! We went on POTC and they were not happy! DD1 said she didn't want to go again! We are considering doing Phantom Manour tomorrow! Lol – Note – We didn't go! That's something to do on our next visit! ;) But we did tell the girls we would go on BTM again if they misbehaved! upsss

After the pirates we decided to go on the Molly Brown, always very relaxing! On the way we met King Louie with a very small queue. Too bad they don't have an autograph system like they do for Buzz or Duffy.

By now it was time to eat, but not before the spring show, this time in front of the castle stage! We ate at Cafe Hyperion while we watched some cartoons!

Then we decided to go to Star Tours for the first time. I, DH and DD1 really enjoyed it. DD2, didn't like it very much. To make it up to her we went on Autopia cars twice in a row! With the shortest queues we ever saw, it didn't felt more than 10/15 min! Note: unfortunately, it was impossible to go again on the following days L It's such a fun ride with little ones! When we left the second time, we met Angel on our way to Buzz! I wondered where she had been! This was one of the few random characters we saw!

We then used hotel fastpass for buzz again! As always great family fun!
When we left, DD2 was really tired so I sent DH and DD1 on IASW, but it was closed early, not sure why. I walked around to try to get the LO to sleep. No such luck so we all ended up waiting for the parade. This was when we used the pause gourmande vouchers. I used them on pizzeria Bella Notte for magnum bars and drinks. Parade was great and characters kept interacting with everyone! When it was over DD2 finally fell asleep, so Dh stayed with her, while me and DD1 went browsing the stores and ended up on Harringtons where we bought one pair of Mickey earrings each.

When it was time for our Walts reservation we went in. I requested and got a window table that kept DD1 entertained! Food was very good! DH had salmon tartar; beef and creme brulee; I had warm tomato tart; beef and honey cheesecake. Tbh I didn't enjoy dessert very much but DH loved his! DD1 had soup, linguine bolognese and fruit. This was probably the best meal we had this time! Very relaxing and very good food! We payed about 15€ on top of our vouchers because we had two glasses of wine.

DD2 remained asleep during our meal and DH went back to the hotel with her, while DD1 and I stayed in the park! We were supposed to wait for Dreams but she changed her mind, so instead we slowly went to the hotel, visiting all village stores where we had fun trying on funny hats and Minnie mouse ears. When we arrived we went to the GF lounge to get waters and back to our room to rest!

Tomorrow we may go to the studios! )

SVioletS

Day 4 – Live TR
We are in the hotel resting before dinner and heading back for dreams! I went with DDs to the lounge and had some cakes and a drink yummy! Unfortunately DH didn't join us... L

Today we went to the studios and did cars twice, then M&G Mickey and Buzz, then we went on Slinky Dog where a Spanish family kept calling the CM first because they got stuck by the security bar, then because there were 5 of them and only 4 were allowed, then because after all, one of the kids didn't want to go... People in the queue started looking pretty angry! Me and DH just laughed, it was so ridiculous!

After that it was all shows: Cinemagique, Stitch live; Disney Junior live; lunch (worst meal so far...) and straight after Stars and Cars parade: all girls happy: DD2 received lots of attention from Minnie (she was wearing her Minnie dress), DD1 from Jasmine and I received extra attention from Captain Hook. Then we went to Animagique and left for Disneyland park. DH wanted to try Crush's coaster but it had 75min waiting line.

When we arrived at Disneyland park, the Welcome spring show was about to begin, so we watched it and then got some pictures and autograph. Again a nice little dance show that really adds value to the day!
Then we used hotel fastpass for Peter Pans flight and then DH and DDs went on the carrousel, again! :)
We decided to skip the parade today and go back for dreams later!

Tomorrow is dd1 Birthday and our last full day here :( why does time fly here?
Anyway we are having fun even if at times I feel kind of freakish! Our girls are so excited most of the time and sometimes it's hard to manage – they jump, they talk, they dance, they pick on each other...! :)

From here on, it's all post trip written! ;)

This was the day we had dinner in the hotel, in Hunters Grill buffet. It was very nice and we all enjoyed it. There was plenty of very warm food, and lots of variety. Please be aware of the lamps, I got burnt!!! After dinner we walked back to the park for Dreams and got a very nice view from the second flower bed. DDs both loved even more now that they knew what to expect! I loved it, of course, and totally worth to wait! J

SVioletS

Day 5 – Post trip TR

This was DD1 birthday! Yay! Unfortunately both DDs were really tired and didn't wake up in a very good mood! We gave DD her present (well the whole trip was a present and she had already received some clothes and money at home!): the Frozen soundtrack. I also told both DD's we would go to the stores and they could choose one thing each!
After getting dressed and washing up, off we went for breakfast! It was busier today, but no queue and no scrum.  I think we met Donald Duck in the lounge on the Saturday and on Sunday it was Minnie again...

Upon arrival to the park we went to City Hall and asked for the birthday sticker for DD and also requested the Mickey phone call. She enjoyed it even if didn't understand! ;) I also made dinner reservations for Plaza Gardens for that night. 

I had found out the previous day that the reservation system for Princess Pavilion was back on. So thank you sooo much! If it wasn't for that info we wouldn't have met any princess! So when we arrived I went to queue to get the ticket. While queuing I met a Portuguese mother and daughter so I was entertained! DH went with both DD's to Alice's labyrinth and the Carousel. When I got the slot they joined me and we waited a while for our time! We met Belle, one of our favorites, and she was very sweet to both DD's! Lots of cuddles, fun with DD2 asking to see Belle's shoes, and checking the pictures and we were done! We left and they were still handing out tickets without any queue, so I got another time slot for the afternoon!

Then another go on IASW... and we went to Inventions Sunday Brunch. The food was lovely; character interaction was very good as well. We met Aladdin and Jasmine, The Genie, Minnie in a lovely dress, Goofy with special outfit and Pluto. Abu was also there but didn't go to our section. We had table by the window. DD2 only ate some grapes and chocolate mousse. They didn't charge her, which was nice. I asked if it was possible for Jasmine or Minnie to come to our table with the cake, and we had Minnie! We were happy with that!
As for Inventions Sunday Brunch, I think it is nice for a special occasion or if you have a special theme on your date, otherwise, I wouldn't do it again.

After lunch we went to buy DDs presents. We told them they could choose one thing each: DD1 chose Anna Doll and got and Angel soft toy with her money. DD2 chose the Elsa doll. Because they had a special offer we also got them the Rapunzel figure set at half price. Funny thing, we told DD1 she could choose anything, even the Elsa dress, but she just went for the doll... And even DD2 didn't ask for anything else! I left the store feeling proud!
After shopping we headed to Princess Pavilion where we met Snow White. Again, very sweet with the girls, lovely interactions and DD2 saying she wants to have Snow White's dress! J
Then we waited, for the last time, for the parade, while we had the pause gourmande drinks! I watched it with DD2 on my shoulders, so not as fun as usual! I am not sure what we did next...  I know we went to the Dragon's Cave and to Snow White ride somewhere between this time and the moment we left the next day. Really, do people take notes to write TR? :D
Anyway we had dinner reservations for Plaza Gardens at 7.30pm. We were still quite full from lunch and tbh the food here wasn't as appealing as it was on Hunters Grill. There wasn't much choice and it wasn't as nice. We did enjoy some pancakes though! I think it was very expensive and not worth the money, so I wouldn't go there again. The location it is very good, and that's why we had booked it in the first place. So that we could sit around a watch Dreams as close as possible! We got a place just in front of the first flower beds in front of the Castle and we had a perfect view! We also had a seat! We waited about 1h30 but it was worth it! After Dreams we went back to the hotel and both DDs fell asleep on the way, so I went into World of Disney and got DD1 the Stitch toy to match Angel.
Then pack up... L We were leaving the next day! L

SVioletS

Day 6 - Post trip TR

Our last day and I was feeling melancholic, I was happy we had done so many things, but also sad we had to go. However we did say to DH we had to go back for DD2 birthday, so we will probably go for Christmas 2015 – if all goes well! Anyway, finished packing, headed down for breakfast and I think it was Eyeore there. Today it was very busy and I noticed on the way out they were serving breakfast in the bar area aswell.
We went into the park (after stopping by DLH conciergerie for nothing), and we finally met Duffy! J Stamp autograph, photos and cuddles and off we went on to Buzz for the last time. We used hotel fastpasses as it was already busy. I am not sure if then we went to Snow White and the Dragon's Cave... I know we ended up near adventure isle, where we saw The Genie doing M&G, but we had already met him in Inventions so we didn't stop. Then we went to Alladin's passage and walked until frontierland and explored the "village" at the entrance. Minnie was doing M&G in Frontierland but again we didn't stop. We went for a quick lunch at Cowboy Cookout, but it didn't have live music. I did feel it was appropriate as it has those sad cowboy songs playing and it made start to post Disney blues L. After lunch we slowly walked back to collect our luggage, while at the hotel DD1 wanted to buy a new autograph book "for next time"... well that was it! Tears just started falling LOL I was so sad to be leaving a not knowing when or if we would be back...
But no time to feel sad, Prestige driver was already waiting for us, so we had to say our quick goodbyes! Drive to the airport was quick this time. The flight was also more pleasant and we made it safely home.

That was it! I can't wait until we are back and DD1 already said she wished she was back there! ;)

jackieann

Lovely trip report. Sounds like you had a great time..

we were there the week before you.  Luckily we have friends who want to go again (they came with us in aug 2013)so my other half was happy to book the new york hotel in December.  He has iddy jones, space mountain buddys then as I won't go. We that's how I sold it to him anyway ;)..

XX

seraphelle

Lovely trip report  :D  Thanks for sharing  ;D  xx
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

BlackPearl

Great trip report! Thanks for posting!  :D

SVioletS

Thank you! Were already missing the magic!

Uragano Tati

Great trip report! I really like reading it!!
My secret for remember things when writing trip reports? The pictures. They are in the right order, so I write while watching them and I know where we were and what we did.
Of course, sometimes I get a little confused, but I usually can piece everything together quite well!
April 1998: Sequoia Lodge
January 2003: Disneyland Hotel
May 2012: Santa Fe
September 2013: Cheyenne
November 2014: Cheyenne

SVioletS

:D I actually considered at one point to take pictures of the rides before we went in. I would end up with dozens of Buzz and Carousel pictures :)

Livvipivvi

What a fab trip report, it sounds like you all had such a fab time!  Thank you for taking the time to write it, I really enjoyed reading  :D

Has Disney blues after our first visit 25/05/14-29/05/14 (Hotel New York). Going back 19/12/14, flights and DLH booked! Yepppyyy!!!!

SVioletS

Thank you! I am really missing our DLP time... mostly because of some bad news here and again i dont know if/when we will return! Keeping hopes up!