Spending money - Slight panic mode

Started by glgittens85, May 28, 2014, 02:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glgittens85

Hi all

We are visiting DLP next wEdnesday for 4 nights/5 days (myself, hubby and my 2.5 yr old daughter).

For various reasons we have not been able to save as much as we had originally intended. We are now planning on taking around 930 Euros for the trip (works out roughly 185 EUR per day).

We are staying in Sequioa Lodge so have breakfast covered. The only character meal we are intending to do is breakfast at Cafe Mickeys. Also, we are driving so I am going to stock up on snacky things to take with us. for lunches we are just going to get something like and then do a couple of buffet meals and table service meals throughout our stay. Of course we also would like money to spend in the shops (although I am not intending on going mad).

Does this seem like a reasonable amount to take? Tbh, I do not want to get there and be watching every penny.

Thanks in advance!

polar vixen

SSounds plent0y to me, buffets definitely good food wise, esp. as you do't need to pay for your little one, Budgeting a certain amount a day is very helpful, just remember that since you're driving, depending on your route, you may need money for toll booths, (if traving from Calais this will be about 22 euros each way, and you may need some money for fuel?)  We generally take a 100 a day not including food, and that's for 6 of us so you should be fine. Have a great time!

daddyof2

I think you'll be fine. If you're concerned though, be careful which table service restaurants you visit - for example Walt's and Blue Lagoon are not cheap (and aren't ideal for small children in my opinion). Also, leave most of the shopping until the last day or 2 when you know how well your budget is going. If you spend 600 euros on food though I'd be surprised

Samninetysix

Does your 930€ budget include fuel and tolls?, if not where are you driving from?, how good is your car on fuel?. Our 7 seat Mitsubishi is big and comfortable, it'll pretty much go anywhere with the 4wd but it's pretty pants on fuel, averaging about 25mpg if I drive very carefully. Our trip from Suffolk (2hrs to the shuttle) then onwards to DLP (about 3hrs) costs me about £80+ each way. Is your car petrol or diesel?, diesel is pretty much a similar price to the UK but petrol is much more expensive especially on the autoroutes. All that aside 185€ per day should be easily enough to feed a couple and a 2½ yr old

glgittens85

Thanks for the replies!

In terms of car fuel - I have a company car and fuel card. I will fill up before we go and then we only have to worry about covering the fuel back. The car is very good on fuel (diesel). I am not sure about Mpg but if I fill up it I can get around 515 miles in the week (and that isnt driving carefully!). Not to sure whether that is good or not?!

andlorna

We have driven for the last couple of years from Liverpool, we stay over the night before and get the early Euro Tunnel. We love taking the car as we take lots of drinks and snacks with us...... this saves a fortune. We normally have a big breakfast and have a late lunch/dinner. We buy the meal vouchers before we go which is great because you don't have to worry about budgeting for your meals and you get a discount if you book before.
I think you will have plenty of money......don't worry just enjoy  ;D
PREVIOUS VISITS,
Oct 06, Santa fe 3 days
Oct 07, Sequoia 4 days
Oct 08, Sequoia 4 days
Oct 09, Sequoia 4 days
Dec 09 New Year
Oct 10, Cheyenne 4 days
April 11, Cheyenne 4 days
Feb 13, Cheyenne 5 days
Feb 14, Cheyenne 5 days
Oct 14 Hipark 4 days
Nov 14 Hipark 4 days
Feb 15 Santa Fe 5 days
May 15 Hipark 4 days
Augt 15 Hipark 5 days
Feb 16 Cheyenne 5 days
April 16 Hipark 5 days
Aug 16 Hipark 5 days
Oct 16 Hipark 5 days
Dec 16 Sequoia new year
Next Trip
Oct 17 Hipark 5 days

Mileto

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

Samninetysix

Quote from: glgittens85 on May 29, 2014, 01:05:29 PM
Thanks for the replies!

In terms of car fuel - I have a company car and fuel card. I will fill up before we go and then we only have to worry about covering the fuel back. The car is very good on fuel (diesel). I am not sure about Mpg but if I fill up it I can get around 515 miles in the week (and that isnt driving carefully!). Not to sure whether that is good or not?!

Fill up on the M20 services before you leave then :) . Is the fuel card valid in France?, there is an Esso station at the entrance to the Santa Fe hotel. But if you get 515 miles to a tank then you won't have to put any more in until you are well on your way back. It's only about 200 miles to DLP from Calais so driving even reasonably after you fill up on the M20, you should pretty much get there and back to the UK on a single tank and you can top up again after you leave the ferry or shuttle

Mrsya

We went for 6 days last week and spent around £750 not including evening meals or drinks as we were half board. That covered our tolls, fuel back, lunch x 5, cafe Mickey, souvenier photos and an armoury of toy weapons for our four year old!!