Character Meets at Disney hotels axed from November 2014

Started by dazzle_v2003, February 11, 2014, 11:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazzle_v2003

Poppy The Monkey you have made my day! That is such a good idea having those characters in the park during Extra Magic Hours and I agree with you it does make the park more magical and fits in with the story that they live in the park and getting it ready for the day ahead. 

By doing this it does make you feel more special as a hotel guest because you get to meet your favourite disney friends in the park before anyone else. It's like an exclusive meet and with it not being busy and the queues hopefully continuing it should be a really good positive experience.

I also didn't think about non paying guests going to the Hotels just to meet characters. That is very naughty of them and loses Disney money so I now understand fully why they have decided to do this. I love this new idea more then meeting them in the Hotel.

Ravenseye

We just got back from our trip and reading this reminded me of something my son said whilst we were there, "Do they close the Meet Mickey attraction during the Parade?". I hadn't thought about that before, Mickey being in more than 1, 2, 3....places at once! Abit like the multiple Santas dilemma in December.
I am in favour of removing characters from the Hotels, IF it means we can a wider selection of them in the Parks.
Disneyworld 1990
Disneyland Paris 1996, 2002, 2004, 2013, 2014...

dazzle_v2003

I think they do actually close Meet Mickey before the parade funnily enough. In the park I think there is a procedure in place where you wouldn't see the same character in close proximity for example meeting them in a land and then walking around the corner and seeing them in the parade.

I can't remember the exact details of it but I know they try and do it so that can't happen.

fiyero

I think it will be a shame if it is lost. It is a good chance to get a calm photo or autograph. On my last day I checked my bags into Disney Express and walked the scenic route to the park from Santa Fe via Cheyenne and got my photo with Jessie because she was there. Very well themed to have a cowgirl in a western themed hotel lobby. I also had my photo with Mickey in his new permanent location which was quite calm too (But I wouldn't like it on a day with long queues). I saw a few random meet and greets happening and they seem a little chaotic. The only one I joined in with was Gaston as I hadn't seen him before. He was pretty good at making sure people didn't miss out and when some little kids who had just turned up ran to him for autographs he batted them away and made sure those of us waiting got in first.

polar vixen

Those with disabled members in the party get a pass, at times it can seem unfair, but they may have disablilities you're not aware of, (2 of mine have autism, and standing for long periods in a crowd where they're getting knocked and pushed would be something they could not physically deal with - we have sometimes taken turns standing in a queue while other parents stands somewhere separate with the kids, but this isn't always possible), even the reason they're in the wheelchair might not be known, worst case scenario, and this child might not have another chance to experience this ever again, queueing is part of a holiday at disney unfortunately, at least it's better than the bad scrum there used to be for characters

DLPWonders (Banned)

Quote from: Ladyd0807 on February 15, 2014, 11:23:02 PM
I have to say I'm very confused about this thread, because we're just back from DLP. We stayed in the Sequoia Lodge & as we had upgraded to the golden Forrest club we had breakfast with characters every morning. There was also regular meet & greet sessions in the foyer of the hotel, where there was also a photographer so I don't know where this is coming from, unless Sequoia Lodge is one of the few hotels to keep the character meet & greets. It was so much better than standing in a queue in the park to meet them. Can I also ask why are people in wheelchairs allowed to skip to the front of these queues? A few times when we were there this happened, why can't they queue like everyone else, seemed a bit fair, when everyone else is queuing for ages with young kids!

This is very much possible, since the characters don't get pulled out until November 3rd. ;)

°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

Jonjo

Salon Mickey asked DLP for some offical confirmation on the rumoured changes happening around the resort, and spokesman Mathias Dugoujon, from Corporate Communications was kind enough to fill us in on the exciting changes coming soon to Extra Magic Hours in the Disneyland Park..

The Disneyland Paris Shareholders Blog.
www.salonmickey.co.uk

dazzle_v2003

I'm pleasantly surprised that DLP have confirmed this where they haven't confirmed any of the other big happenings such as The Spring Festival and the opening date of their new attraction which are happening in the near future.

At least they have which stops the fan community speculating for the next 9 months. Are they starting to learn their lesson? Confirmed press releases are better then rumors and speculation being leaked out of the resort.

Aurora1

I admit, I^m glad they confirmed it now! it sounds great!

pialykke

Also pleasantly surprised to see it confirmed today, and the more I think about it, I love the idea!! If it means there will be characters (and loads of them) in the park for EMH, that is brilliant!

May 2017 - Newport
November 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2012 - Santa Fe

Mitchell

I'm happy that it is being replaced rather than just disappearing, but I hope the Descent stays
Jun 2004, Dec 2006, Mar 2015, Aug 2015, Oct 2015, Feb 2016, Mar 2016, April 2016, June 2016, August 2016, October 2016, January 2017, February 2017, March 2017, April 2017, June 2017, October 2017, December 2017

Next trip: June and July 2017

Gemma W

Yay! so pleased that the characters aren't just being removed and they are being re-directed into the parks! Never thought about locals just getting the train in to see characters in the hotels. That's a tad naughty! TBH I was a tad disappointed to start with that the hotel characters were being cut as I have happy memories of doing this as a child and it is nice to see Characters when it is calmer but if you can see them in EMH in the parks that will be fab too! When we were there a few weeks ago we only saw the characters in the hotel a couple of times as we did  like to get into the parks asap to use EMH so if the characters were there then too that would be an extra bonus!

pialykke

Quote from: Mitchell on February 20, 2014, 09:27:07 PM
I'm happy that it is being replaced rather than just disappearing, but I hope the Descent stays

Apparently Castle Club and Golden Forest are staying - I hope the Descent stays too. I would think so!

May 2017 - Newport
November 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2012 - Santa Fe

Mitchell

Jun 2004, Dec 2006, Mar 2015, Aug 2015, Oct 2015, Feb 2016, Mar 2016, April 2016, June 2016, August 2016, October 2016, January 2017, February 2017, March 2017, April 2017, June 2017, October 2017, December 2017

Next trip: June and July 2017

mnewcourt

A great idea but I do hope they keep the lines so that everyone gets their turn to take a decent photograph with the character.