Space Mountain

Started by Owain, March 08, 2007, 11:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

Quote from: "ightenhill"Have any of the trains had new bearings recently , this ride seems to get rougher and rougher...

The ride is a vekoma coaster, enough said, nothing can stop a rollercoaster made by vekoma getting rough :P .  Plus it doesn't feel that rough lately, just depends where you sit :wink: .

ightenhill

I hate vekoma... :x  :x   But im sure it used to be smoother than this
[size=85]WDW Florida July 91(way too hot), DL California June 92,DL California Sep 93, DLP France Feb 96, DLP France March 02, DLP France Christmas to NY 03, WDW Christmas Eve to NY 04, WDW Oct 05, DL California Christmas to NY 05, DLP March 06, WDW Nov 06,DLP Paris Christmas to NY 06, WDW April 07 DL California Nov 07, WDW Dec 07, DLP Mar 08, DLP Jul 08, DL Hong Kong Mar 09, WDW Oct 09,  DLP Xmas 09[/size]

mehdi5

Quote from: "ightenhill"I hate vekoma... :x  :x   But im sure it used to be smoother than this
Space Mountain is this rough because of the wheels they used at the time, now the day they use another technique for the wheels, al least i think it was that if it is Space Mountain just needs some new wheels and it will be more smooth than it is now. :D But not every Vekoma is rough, there are a lot of smooth Vekoma coasters like Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. :wink:

Kristof

Quote from: "ightenhill"Have any of the trains had new bearings recently , this ride seems to get rougher and rougher...

In fact I had a surprisingly smooth ride last time.

speedpacket

Quote from: "mehdi5"
Quote from: "ightenhill"I hate vekoma... :x  :x   But im sure it used to be smoother than this
Space Mountain is this rough because of the wheels they used at the time, now the day they use another technique for the wheels, al least i think it was that if it is Space Mountain just needs some new wheels and it will be more smooth than it is now. :D But not every Vekoma is rough, there are a lot of smooth Vekoma coasters like Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. :wink:
Well - you should go to WalibiWorld in the Netherlands then.  They have an exact copy of RNRC which is a bit older; I can assure you that if that is what RNRC will feel like in 3 years, you will not repeat that statement again.

It must be said that in WalibiWorld, the ride is out in the open and suffers from the weather influences, but still - NOT COMFORTABLE :o)
Next visit:
13-14-15 February 2009 - Valentine in DLH Castle Club

Thank you Disney for introducing me to my girlfriend!  Disney truly is magical!!!

mehdi5

QuoteWell - you should go to WalibiWorld in the Netherlands then.  They have an exact copy of RNRC which is a bit older; I can assure you that if that is what RNRC will feel like in 3 years, you will not repeat that statement again.

It must be said that in WalibiWorld, the ride is out in the open and suffers from the weather influences, but still - NOT COMFORTABLE :o)
I have been there, i live in the Netherlands. but you can't exactly judge it because they have the same layout, the version in Walibi has the original standard Vekoma trains but i think with the most rough Vekoma trains can easily be modified a bit to make the ride smoother. But the statement all Vekoma rides are rough is very untrue just look at Big Thunder Mountain that's also a vekoma, and you have Expedition Everest that's also a Vekoma. and the Python in the Efteling is not rough since it's new trains. But i think Space Mountain just needs some new wheels and they need some effects and the music system.

Disneyana

Sory if I ask now a stupid question, but what in fact is Vekoma ?  :oops:
Oh Boy ! \":mickey2:\"

WDI1992

:offtopic: Vekoma is one of the biggest manufacturers of Rollercoasters and other types of attractions, it's a Dutch company that developed a lot of the coasters we know, such as BTM, RnRC, Space Mountain etc. though they have rides all over the world...
Now back to Space Mountain then?  :wink:
Ne cessez jamais de croire ... et, imaginez un peu! Parce que, c\'est là où les rêves deviennent réalité  

and always remember, if you can dream it, you can do it!
www.ResortDreams.net

Disneyana

Thank you ! And from where do you all now that SM is made by Vekoma ? Sorry for being so stupid, but I once saw a special like a making of for SM and Vekoma was not mentioned. So I'm just curious how so many of you knows it's a Vekoma ride.  :oops:

ChipChap

So,

1. it has the typical Vekoma tracks (MK 1200)
2. The restraints are the Vekoma restraints
3. If you have not dealed with the manufacturers of amusement rides and roller coasters just look here: //http://www.rcdb.com and search for space mountain.
4. Vekoma (and Intamin) deliver many Rollercoasters for Disney Parks.

So you see it is clear that this one was build by Vekoma. For Vekoma Space Mountain was the perfect project to test launch systems and the one from SM was not perfect so they changed to LSM (Linear Induction Motor) for the new ones like Xpress (Walibi World) and RnR. Just the new Vekoma launch coaster Booster Bike at Toverland uses again another system.
Movie Park Germany - Hooray I\'m in the movies!

Disneyana

Thank you very much ! Now I have learbed.  :wink:

CJNorth

Hi

Is RnR a LIM coaster?  I always thought it was until our last trip when it was pointed out you can see a " catapult trolley" moving back & forwards in the centre of the track at the countdown point.

Can anyone confirm if RnR is LIM or catapult

Thanks
Carl

ChipChap

No, not really. They use the LSM (Linear Synchron Motor) system and not the LIM (Linear Induction Motor) system.
Yeah you are right that they have a trolley. Mostly all other manufacturers launch the train directly, but here the train locks in the trolley and this one will be launched by LSM.
I don't know why, but perhaps it has something to do with the train. If they want to launch the train directly, they need to install the magnets or whatever under the train and this is propably not so easy, because of their track system concerning the brakes.
LOL I hope you can understand what i mean. (I'm from Germany) ;)
Movie Park Germany - Hooray I\'m in the movies!

ightenhill

Actually thinking about it the rides comfort could be radically improved with a new harness design. The current ones seem to be just specially designed to sandpaper your ears.

Then again maybe I should try holding on  :D
[size=85]WDW Florida July 91(way too hot), DL California June 92,DL California Sep 93, DLP France Feb 96, DLP France March 02, DLP France Christmas to NY 03, WDW Christmas Eve to NY 04, WDW Oct 05, DL California Christmas to NY 05, DLP March 06, WDW Nov 06,DLP Paris Christmas to NY 06, WDW April 07 DL California Nov 07, WDW Dec 07, DLP Mar 08, DLP Jul 08, DL Hong Kong Mar 09, WDW Oct 09,  DLP Xmas 09[/size]

Lordofthemightybeasts

Quote from: "mehdi5"Space Mountain is this rough because of the wheels they used at the time, now the day they use another technique for the wheels, al least i think it was that if it is Space Mountain just needs some new wheels and it will be more smooth than it is now. :D But not every Vekoma is rough, there are a lot of smooth Vekoma coasters like Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. :wink:
No matter how smooth you make the wheels, the track is still a Vekoma. The reason Vekoma is one of the biggest roller-coaster manufacturers in the world is simply because they're cheap as chips. They're basically the rollercoaster equivalent of McDonalds - you pay for what you get. And the reason for the roughness is Vekoma's notorious track joins, where one section is welded to the other.
And RNRC isn't as rough because it's newer, better designed (less sharp turns and vicious inversions) and significantly slower. But it does seem to be showing its age: when I went on a few months ago I found it very uncomfortable at points.