Space Mountain

Started by Owain, March 08, 2007, 11:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owain

Thank you, i had a feeling it was that the roller coaster would enter the dome to fast. But my mate said it was so you felt as if you were going through the Earth's atmosphere. And we didnt no who was right  :shock:

Martha86

My last time on Space Mountain: Mission 2 scared the pants off me. We were coming up the hill where the video of the explosion is and (we were in the very last 2 seats) just as the front seats went over the edge into the drop - it broke down.
     We were stuck there in the dark for about 5 mins with the video on a loop and the damn song playing. Every time it comes on my iTunes I shudder to think how scared I was for those 5 minutes!

Owain

For some reason Space Mountain: Mission 2 has a problem for breaking down alot, me and my friends queued up a couple of times and it broke down.

Patrick

Quote from: "Owain"For some reason Space Mountain: Mission 2 has a problem for breaking down alot, me and my friends queued up a couple of times and it broke down.

It's a vekoma coaster, reason explained :wink:  :lol: .

Lordofthemightybeasts

Quote from: "Owain"I love the Music to Space Mountain: Mission 2, its amazing how it fits the ride. I dont no what id think of Space Mountain: Mission 2 without the music.

The thing is, it doesn't really fit the ride like the original soundtrack did. It's just a piece of music that has a start, an end and two intervals. De La Terre A La Lune's soundtrack was used exactly like a film score to underscore all of the sights and sensations you experience. Take the launch- the original's buildup on brass and strings represents the trains acceleration into outer space, emphasising the speed you are travelling at. Mission 2's music simply fades in from nothing.
Then Lift B- the original soundtrack swelled into a grand, romantic version of the main theme on strings when you reached the smiling moon. The beauty of the music tells the rider that this is in fact the most wonderful thing they've ever seen and they can't help but smile (trust me :D ). At this point Mission 2's soundtrack fades out to thematic silence, leaving the lacklustre special effects to do all the work for themselves.
Later, as you leave the tongue loop and enter into the final helix the original score bursts into an exciting, rousing rendition of the main theme, underscoring one of the most fun sections of the track perfectly. Here Mission 2's soundtrack begins building up to the Electro De Velocitor brake run. However, as it is doing that it is ignoring the thrill of that last helix in anticipation of the next climactic event.
Finally, as the trains make their way back to the station you are given a returning hero fanfare on the trumpets and drums, giving the rider a real sense of acheivement that they made it back from such an exciting journey. For Mission 2, the returning music is some synth filler, including 50s sci-fi theremones, all played in a minor key. Where the original went out in a blast of strings and drums, Mission 2 once again fades out on a synth note.

loaloa

All the art-work of the never built Discovery mountain project for disneyland paris can be seen on Disney and more at:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2007/ ... oject.html

mtt

does space mountain in dlrp have inversions, my brother wants to ride but hates being upside down, so won't ride rock n roller coaster
dlp nov 98, feb 99, sept 07, sept 2008
wdw 95,97,2000,2002,2005

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "mtt"does space mountain in dlrp have inversions, my brother wants to ride but hates being upside down, so won't ride rock n roller coaster

Indeed there are three, and I consider SM to be a little wilder than RNRC - RNRC is at least a smooth ride.
since 2001 (many before that)

mtt

thanks for the quick answer, hes been on space mountain in wdw, and heard there was a lot of difference
wdw 95,97,2000,2002,2005

speedpacket

Quote from: "mtt"thanks for the quick answer, hes been on space mountain in wdw, and heard there was a lot of difference
Yeah, the paris version is cool :)
Next visit:
13-14-15 February 2009 - Valentine in DLH Castle Club

Thank you Disney for introducing me to my girlfriend!  Disney truly is magical!!!

pjulie75

In the Space Mountain Paris you seem to get thrown about a bit too much which makes it less enjoyable.  I was on myself last year (my husband had to watch the kids) with this Spanish guy and he was screaming like a girl and we both felt our heads we rocking around a bit too much.  We couldn't speak each others language but both had a good laugh about our brains rattling around our head!!  I like Rock N Roller much better, loud music and a much smoother ride - it is fab.  I have been on the Orlando Space Mountain and I find it pretty good too. :minnie:

mtt

When I  was in wdw in 2005 we were on the tta, and as it went thru space mountain the ride wasn't working, the lights when on and you could see the full tracks, it looked quite compact
wdw 95,97,2000,2002,2005

x-charlotte-x

I'd love to be on SM when it broke down and for all the lights to be turned on, it'd be great to see all the track!  :D
I'v been on the SM in Paris and the one in Florida and athough they're both great i prefare the Paris one, it's just so much more exciting and faster.  :P

1997 - Santa Fe
2006 - Cheyenne
2009 - New York

lostinwonderland

See now with all this talk of SM breaking down I'm scared it's going to break down while im upside down at the top of an inversion... Hahaa...

Dlrpfan

Quote from: "x-charlotte-x"I'd love to be on SM when it broke down and for all the lights to be turned on, it'd be great to see all the track!  :D
I'v been on the SM in Paris and the one in Florida and athough they're both great i prefare the Paris one, it's just so much more exciting and faster.  :P
i have actually just found a video of SM with the lights on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoEd8rGhKEM
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012