Philippe Gas named General Manager of Shanghai Disney Resort

Started by mnewcourt, August 01, 2014, 08:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnewcourt

(Marne-la-Vallée, August 1st, 2014) Euro Disney S.C.A. today announced the nomination of Tom Wolber to the position of Président of Euro Disney S.A.S., the management company of both Euro Disney S.C.A., the holding company, and Euro Disney Associés S.C.A., the operator of Disneyland® Paris, in replacement of Philippe Gas named General Manager of Shanghai Disney Resort.

"One of our greatest assets is the global strength of our teams," said Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "Both Philippe and Tom are seasoned Disney veterans with a tremendous combination of leadership skills, business acumen, and international experience that will help ensure that we carry on our legacy of creating unforgettable experiencesfor our guests. Theybringanincredible depth of operational experience to their respective roles and are well positioned to contribute to the future success of Shanghai Disney Resort and Disneyland Resort Paris".

"On behalf of all Supervisory Board members, I would like to thank Philippe for the excellent collaboration we had together and for his personal involvement in Euro Disney during the last 6 years", said Virginie Calmels, chairman of Euro Disney Supervisory Board. "We are very proud that The Walt Disney Company has chosen Philippe, a French top executive, to lead a huge and strategic project such as Shanghai Disney Resort. We also welcome Tom and wish him a lot of success in his new function".

Tom's appointment will be effective in September 2014. He will transition into this new role during the summer, working with Philippe to ensure continued commitment to the company's long term strategic priorities.
Tom is German and speaks 4 languages: French, Dutch, English and German. He returns to Disneyland Paris, which he helped to open in 1992 and brings more than 20 years of wide-ranging operations experience including leadership positions at Disney Cruise Line, Disney Vacation Club and both Walt Disney World Resort and DisneylandParis. He most recentlyservedas the head of Walt Disney World Resortand Transportation Operations, overseeing all of the 28 resort hotels and the property's extensive transportation network. He has also overseen a number of complex expansion projects, including the successful launch of the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy and was instrumental in the Disney Springs master plan and the continued growth of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts' sports business.

Link to the PDF: http://corporate.disneylandparis.com/CORP/EN/Neutral/Images/uk-2014-08-01-Philippe-Gas-Tom-Wolber.pdf

Slimy yet satisfying

So..what do we know about Tom?  Is he pro shows and seasonal activities or is he a hard line close everything and count the pennies type of guy?  I live in hope of the Christmas ice show at the Chapparal theatre returning!
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

Malin

Tom has a Disney Cruise Line background. So hoping some of this quality will come to Disneyland Paris. This has to be fantastic news anyway. Philippe was the worst CEO in the history of Euro Disney SCA and his departure is a great news. Should have come sooner in my opinion.

Samninetysix

Soap

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

never2old

Quote from: Malin on August 01, 2014, 10:39:18 AM
Tom has a Disney Cruise Line background. So hoping some of this quality will come to Disneyland Paris. This has to be fantastic news anyway. Philippe was the worst CEO in the history of Euro Disney SCA and his departure is a great news. Should have come sooner in my opinion.

I know you're not alone in thinking that, but do you mind if I ask you why?

I thought over the last few years things had improved significantly. Sure we lost a lot of shows, but we've had lots of renovations which were badly needed and new rides, and Dreams!. In a time of economic crisis in Europe, they still managed to keep people coming to the resort, and they've managed to invest plenty into the resort. They're also taking fans more and more seriously I feel; fan websites are being invited to previews and special presentations, for example. And the merchandise has finally started to improve, I can now go into the shops and actually need time to choose what I'm going to get, for years it was not even worth it.

The only negative thing I have to say about DLP (and it's not a small thing) it's about their pricing policy; I don't like that idea of pushing the standard prices higher and higher, and compensating with special offers every other week (and different in the different countries). I would much rather see lower prices all year round, and limit the special offers and discounts. I remember when prices were a lot more affordable all year round, plus they had last minute offers every now and then, it meant we could visit a lot more regularly.

Still I've seen many people wishing Philippe out, so I'm just wondering, what am I missing?

norhel

To be honest, I haven't heard of Tom Wolber, but I hope he can continue to improve DLP.

Quote from: never2old on August 01, 2014, 01:42:41 PM

The only negative thing I have to say about DLP (and it's not a small thing) it's about their pricing policy; I don't like that idea of pushing the standard prices higher and higher, and compensating with special offers every other week (and different in the different countries). I would much rather see lower prices all year round, and limit the special offers and discounts. I remember when prices were a lot more affordable all year round, plus they had last minute offers every now and then, it meant we could visit a lot more regularly.

I agree with you on that. The prices for going to DLP is high now, and often when I check prices, I sometimes wonder if I can afford to go, even though I want to go. Sometimes I feel that I can get more fore the money at WDW, rather than at DLP....
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

Rocketeer

Quote from: Samninetysix on August 01, 2014, 11:02:22 AM
President to manager?
Same role, just different title. No doubt probably due to how SDL is set up.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mvboetzelaer

Just for the record: Tom is Dutch! He was born in IJsselstein and studied in Breda.
Unfortunately for the Disney people writing press releases The Netherlands is part of Germany...

At DisneyCruiseLine Tom worked in the team of Karl Holz (president of DCL) who did a lot af good work in his time in Paris. We recently took a DCL cruise and I did some research in which Tom was very present. I think he gets the Disney touch so I have good hopes with this appointment.

For the Dutch fans: http://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/22924069/__NL_er_wordt_baas_Disneyland__.html

*TIMMIE*

The Netherlands part of Germany? Thought that time was way back. Like about 70 years. ;) ;) ;) ;)

dazzle_v2003

If you could send one message to Tom what would it be?

Mine would be please increase the show count in the park including more entertainment in the park such as on Main Street USA and to bring WDS to it's full potential. WDS has so much potential to be an amazing park.
I would also like him to look at the pricing for coming to the resort so it is more affordable to make return trips more often.

Malin

QuoteI thought over the last few years things had improved significantly. Sure we lost a lot of shows, but we've had lots of renovations which were badly needed and new rides, and Dreams!.

The renovations for the most part were only cosmetic. I was given this official response addressing the broken Animatronics which I complained about in 2012.
QuoteAudio-Animatronics® used in Phantom Manor and Pirates of the Caribbean. Certain aspects of these attractions may be stopped at certain times of the year whilst the attraction may still operate.
This not only acknowledges that Disneyland Paris under Philippe Gas see a problem but it also cares very little about fixing that problem. If a Park like Tokyo Disneyland Paris can opperate all year round with no broken AA's then no excuse is acceptable for Disneyland Paris.Also lets not forget the two incidents that happen on Big Thunder Mountain or the death of a Cast Member on It's A Small World which happen on his watch. No other CEO has seen this amount of bloodshed despite the years of financial problems. Dreams and Ratatouille are the only things of importance he has done since his time and would had happen with or without him. Toy Story Playland was a complete waste of money which had very little impact on the numbers or results.

QuoteThey're also taking fans more and more seriously I feel; fan websites are being invited to previews and special presentations, for example.

That's really just them recognizing the influence fan sites have on the online community and trying to keep them happy. No fan site that values one on one sessions with the CEO or invites to attraction openings are going to write anything negative towards Disneyland Paris.

QuoteAnd the merchandise has finally started to improve, I can now go into the shops and actually need time to choose what I'm going to get, for years it was not even worth it.

I agree but how much of this is thanks to Joe Schott and not Philippe Gas?

Most of us remember Karl Holz appearing frequently in the Parks. And the absolute reported rage he felt one night when not only did Fantilusion break down but a glitch with the Bastile Day fireworks also resulted in many failing to go off as planned.

Philippe has had enough time to have really made an impact on the Paris Resort. Unfortunately many things have gotten worst under his reign and the time was right to give someone else a chance. I have high hopes for Tom and Daniel and can't wait to see what real positive changes will be made.