What Is "Toon Town" all about?

Started by gingajen, April 07, 2014, 09:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gingajen

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can answer a question that bugs me everytime I visit the Studios? What is the Toon Town bit of the park all about? You know the area that looks like it should go somewhere but doesn't. It looks like it was intended to be the entrance to another part of the park, maybe it is planned for another entrance to the Ratatouille area? Or is it used exactly as it was planned to? As a photo area?
Personally, I think it looks a bit strange.

never2old

It's just a photo area with a meet 'n' greet, there are usually two characters there, last time we were there it was Mickey on one side and Pluto on the other.

Raoul

I always guessed that it was a hint to a to be build Paris version of Toon Town.

DLP-Photos.com

I guess it was just a thing created to "spice up" the photo area of the Toon Studio addition. A nod to the real Toon Town of some of the Magic Kingdom parks of course. But mainly just to add to the - rather thin - story line of this area being the Toon Studio. The Toon Town backdrop then shows the city from which the toons live as they come to work in the Toon Studio ;)

Admittedly not the proudest moment for WDI storytelling, I would say.
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

Raoul

Quote from: forza_united on April 12, 2014, 09:32:36 PM
Amen to that! ;)

Rocketeer

Quote from: forza_united on April 12, 2014, 09:32:36 PM
And given all the other questionable 'moments' they've done in WDS, that's really saying something!  ;)

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Riebi

Oh I think the idea isn´t that bad. But they haven't done much to keep the story alive.

In a Disney Quality way it would be the entrance to toon town (like the lands of Disneyland or Tokyo Disneyland). But it seems that they just needed something to hide the big buildings behind the Toon Studio area. So we have just a backdrop - and not the best one. It´s not very vividly and look much tooooo flat. So every guest can directly see that this isn't a town behind this wall. And by the way the details aren´t very "Disney". For example the lettering "Toon Studios" is at the wrong side of the entrance gates and it isn´t mirror-inverted -as it was on the concept arts...
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...