Restaurants: To book or not to book?

Started by jacdoy101, August 27, 2013, 04:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacdoy101

Hi,

We are departing for Disney next Wednesday for 5 nights at the hotel New York and wondered whether I should book restaurants. We have an idea where we want to eat each day but I don't want to be 'tied down' to having to get to the restaurant at an exact time. With schools back from holidays I am hoping the parks will be quieter (is this correct thinking?) so would prefer to arrive at a restaurant when I feel like it and just wait for 20-30 mins for a table if I have to. Has anyone had any problems with just turning up and getting a table when they want?

Jack

Forgot to mention, we aren't going to any of the character dining restaurants so I am not worried about them so much.

jeakat24

I think it depends (helpful, I know!), especially on what time you're planning to eat and where.

If you want to eat lunch in the parks around 1pm then you could be waiting a long time. Similarly if you want to eat in village for dinner (especially after park close) you'll have the same problem. The parks have only ever been open until 6/7pm when I've been before so I don't know whether the park being open later makes a difference to whether the village is busy, or whether it's a bit quieter because some people will eat in the parks.

Eating in the village for lunch can be a good option and waiting times pretty much non-existent, but not all places are open for lunch.

My suggestion would be that if you want to eat at very popular restaurants (blue lagoon, Walts, Steakhouse etc) then book when you're there. We usually either book the morning before or that morning and it's been fine. The rest you can just play by ear (and perhaps try and time lunch just before 12 or after 2). That way you won't feel too tied down but you'll still get to eat at most, if not all, or the places you want.
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

jacdoy101

Many thanks for the response. We aren't going to any of the really popular restaurants except Walt's so will book that. One last question, when do the restaurants in the park and village normally close. Is it at park closing time or before/after?

jeakat24

You're welcome  :D

The restaurants in the village stay open long after park close (as long as the park isn't closing at 11!) I'm not sure exactly what time they close but the shops in the village stay open until 12, so possibly around 11pm- but I'm really, really not sure.

I think it varies in the park to be honest. Some restaurants apwill be open until park close, some will shut about two hours beforehand. I have no idea how they choose which ones to close early and how you can check, but I'm sure someone will know (hopefully).
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

never2old

Walts isnt always open, particularly during the quieter times. If I were you I would ask when you get there if it's going to be closed during your stay...

Not sure when the restaurants in the DV close, we've never had any problems eating out after the park closed (but again it's better to book!! some places get really busy).