Jeakat's Pre-trip report for 29th Sept-4th Oct

Started by jeakat24, August 27, 2013, 02:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeakat24

Hello everyone,

Well, we're off in just over a month and I'm getting really excited now  :D/ I suppose I'm starting this topic to ease some of the excitement (well, more to not bore everyone I know to death because I can't stop talking about it) but I fully intend for this to turn into a complete trip report.

The people going:

Me (Jen), 26

Kane, (DP) my partner, 26

Our daughter, Alice (DD) who will be nearly 20 months.

My mum, Kathey (DM)

For both this and the following trip report I'll use the DP, DD and DM abbreviations to make it 1)easier for me to write and 2) easier for you to follow (hopefully) :D

It will be a really different trip for me and DP as we've only ever gone as a couple before (other than my first trip to Disneyland which was with my school), and so we've never experienced the park through someone else's eyes. We're definitely looking forward to that aspect.

It will be our DD's first trip to Disneyland and we think she's going to love it. We got the Disney channels a little while ago and She has fallen in love with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse  :thumbs: and her favourites seem to be Mickey, Mimi (Minnie) and Daisy. We went somewhere local a little while ago with characters walking around (a cheap version of Peppa Pig and Iggle Piggle) and DD absolutely loved them so we don't think she'll have a problem with meeting the characters and hopefully she'll love it!

It will also be my mum's first trip to any Disney park and she's really excited! We initially invited her partly because we thought it would be lovely to have her there and because we really wanted her to experience the Disney magic and also so that we could take it in turns to do the bigger rides (we know about parent swap but we would have had to ride by ourselves), but right after we booked the trip we found out that I'm pregnant again  :shock:  :D  So there'll be another, unofficial, visitor this trip in the form of 'bump'. I'll be six months pregnant when we visit so all of the bigger rides are out of the question for me. It will be a very weird experience going to Disneyland and not going on BTM, but oh well!

I'm very much hoping that I'll be able to go on POTC. The website states that it's not especially for pregnant guests but to me it's just a darker version of IASW (ride wise) with a couple of drops that I don't, personally, see as a risk, but I suppose it's the discretion of the CM's. Obviously m not going near any of the other rides though!  :shock: Speaking of IASW, I checked the scheduled closures the other day and saw that it's closed for the entire time we're there  :(  I'm gutted. I was so looking forward to taking Alice on it, and I know she would have loved it. I must admit, I did shed a tear or two, but I blame the pregnancy for that!

It has turned into a pretty poorly timed trip. We've booked the Cheyenne from the 30th Sept to the 4th Oct including park tickets and I booked a night (29th Sept) in the Kyriad hotel because our plan was to drive up the day before and make the most of the first day. I chose those dates for a couple of reasons. Firstly, having not been since Jan 2010, we've never seen Dreams! I've even managed to avoid all videos of it and I've only seen a few pictures. When we booked the trip they hadn't confirmed the extension of Dreams til 2014 so I wanted to make sure that we were there on the last day of the extended 20th celebrations so we could see it at least once. Because we're going in the week I thought that if they did reduce the showing of Dreams they'd probably choose to show it on the weekends and we'd miss out. So going on the 30th September was really important. I also wanted to be there for the start of the Halloween celebrations. Me and DP have been for Halloween before (2008) and had a fabulous time. But of course I've since found out that the Halloween celebrations don't start until the 5th and we leave on the 4th :( Definitley not happy about that, especially as all the decorations will be up, just no shows etc. Gutted. When I found out I wished we'd booked for the beginning of November so we got bonfire night (which was our second choice of when to go) but then I realised I'd be seven months pregnant when we travelled so probably not a good idea!

Also, we booked self drive because the Eurostar was so expensive. It was over £700 when the trip only cost us just under £700, but hn we found out I was pregnant we thought we'd keep an eye out for alternatives and we managed to find the Eurostar prices for £300, so a big saving. We've got a couple of hours drive to get to Ashford but that's not too bad. The only problem is not having work tickets for the day we arrive, but we're thinking of going into Paris that day.

Anyway, this really has turned into an essay. Sorry, and thank you if you've read the whole thing! I wish it was more exciting. I'll finish up quickly by listing some of the things we really want to do on this trip.

Meet lots of characters. Although we've had our photos taken with a fair few over the years we've never really actively hunted them out but going with Alice (DD) has made us really want to this time.

Similarly, we really want a character meal (probably at Cafe Mickey), again for DD as she'll love it.

Want to watch the Descent of the Stairs. Again for the characters but also because I've never been in the DLH!

Disney Junior live on stage (as it will be known when we go). It's obviously not something we've ever wanted to do before.

Again, thanks for reading!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

DisneyManiac

You've never been in the Disneyland Hotel? Me and my mother and father go in every time we go and have a drink in the Main Street Lounge. Good Memories!

Aurora1

Congratulation on your pregnancy!!

I, too, am gutted, that IASM is closed during that time! We`ll be there from the 7 to the 11.
 Aurora1

jeakat24

Quote from: "DisneyManiac"You've never been in the Disneyland Hotel? Me and my mother and father go in every time we go and have a drink in the Main Street Lounge. Good Memories!

That sounds like a really nice tradition. We avoided going in for a few years as we always said "next year we'll stay there" and wanted to experience it first hand when we stayed but that is never going to happen  :D

Quote from: "Aurora1"Congratulation on your pregnancy!!

I, too, am gutted, that IASM is closed during that time! We`ll be there from the 7 to the 11.
 Aurora1

Thank you  :D

IASW is just such an iconic Disney attraction so it's going to feel really weird not going on it while we're there, especially as I can't do BTM or Soace Mountain either! Oh well, hopefully it'll be looking tip top when it's done (I hope so!)
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

tubbsy

I was six months pregnant on our second trip in 2002 and we managed to have an amazing time. I hope you have an amazing time :)

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

jeakat24

Quote from: "tubbsy"I was six months pregnant on our second trip in 2002 and we managed to have an amazing time. I hope you have an amazing time :)

Thank you  :D  Yes, I'm sure I'll fill my time with taking lots of pictures (and buying things from Gibson Girl Ice Cream  :D  :thumbs: )
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

Aurora1

Quotejeakat24 »

Thank you :D Yes, I'm sure I'll fill my time with taking lots of pictures (and buying things from Gibson Girl Ice Cream :D :thumbs: )

Good thing for us! We`ll have pics to look at! ;)
I love the waffles at Gibson girl!

jeakat24

Quote from: "Aurora1"
Quotejeakat24 »

Thank you :D Yes, I'm sure I'll fill my time with taking lots of pictures (and buying things from Gibson Girl Ice Cream :D :thumbs: )

Good thing for us! We`ll have pics to look at! ;)
I love the waffles at Gibson girl!

I love everything at Gibson Girl  :D  :D
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

jeakat24

I thought I'd ask here first and then over in trip planning if this doesn't work;

Basically the first morning we're there I haven't booked breakfast in the Kyriad. We'll most likely just grab something from the cable car bake shop once we hit the park but I've been thinking about paying the €14 for breakfast in the DLH does anyone know if this would be a character breakfast or is that only for castle club members?
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

Aurora1

I think, breakfast with characters is in CC. The "normal" breakfast, though, is really good. And there are not that many people there either! There is a character outside the restaurant just like in the other hotels.
Someone correct me if I^m wrong...

jeakat24

Quote from: Aurora1 on September 02, 2013, 07:38:44 PM
I think, breakfast with characters is in CC. The "normal" breakfast, though, is really good. And there are not that many people there either! There is a character outside the restaurant just like in the other hotels.
Someone correct me if I^m wrong...

Thank you, that's what I thought. It's difficult to choose now as, as you say, the breakfast is really good, but we'd save so much money just grabbing something quick! I suppose we'll see how we feel on the day. Thanks for your help  :)
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

amanda08

Hi Jeakat

You could take a small snack to the Kyriad with you to keep you going first thing, then head on over to the DLH at 1030am for a late breakfast - early lunch. The food is delicious and plentiful. Also, as well as the offical character meet outside inventions, there are always more characters milling around playing with the kids. We have always managed to get 3 or 4 character meets and photos here in the mornings, plus the offical one by the fire place. ;D

Have a fab trip!
Amanda

jeakat24

Quote from: amanda08 on September 05, 2013, 09:59:02 PM
Hi Jeakat

You could take a small snack to the Kyriad with you to keep you going first thing, then head on over to the DLH at 1030am for a late breakfast - early lunch. The food is delicious and plentiful. Also, as well as the offical character meet outside inventions, there are always more characters milling around playing with the kids. We have always managed to get 3 or 4 character meets and photos here in the mornings, plus the offical one by the fire place. ;D

Have a fab trip!
Amanda

Thanks for the advice  :) . We're definitely taking a snack for DD as there's no way she'll last until we check out then check in to the Cheyenne. We'll have to see about the rest of us!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

BoristheSpider

jeakat24

Quote from: BoristheSpider on September 19, 2013, 06:32:13 PM
How exciting for your DD, not long now :-)

Definitely not long now!  :D  I'm by far the most excited out of all of us! Getting a little bit worried about how DD will sleep while we're there. Usually we pop her down and leave the room and she'll settle in no time but of course we're all in the same room- so it should be fun! Hopefully she'll be so tired by the evening she'll fall asleep quickly!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge