how to tell the kids

Started by KRHARWOOD, July 29, 2013, 02:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRHARWOOD

Hi guys,
We are going to dlp in 5 weeks we are yet to tell the kids but want to do something special to tell them so could you please share with me how you told your kids?
Thanks in advance

waddle_thepenguin

Ooh, maybe some sort of treasure hunt, with clues to lead around your home - with the last clue leading to a treasure map saying "We're going to Disney!"?
"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day."

Aug 2012 - Explorer's Hotel
Oct 2017 - New York Hotel

tubbsy

I would love to surprise my kids, but we surprised DS (10 asd) once with a trip to Legoland-wasnt the best experience, so wont do it again!
But I love to watch them on youtube. This has to be my favourite! Lol!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HRQv6R-1kI

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

grovesie

We have suprised our kids twice so fsr with DLR trips. The first time we put copies of our bookings into their Christmas cards and the other we woke them up at 06:30 and told them that the taxi would be picking us up in 30 minutes to take us........ Now trying to think up another way for the next time

gemma2806

I'm back to DLP in November for the Christmas period and won't tell our son till the day before we go. My partner and I have planned a Disney Party Day with food and films and watching clips of the rides on YouTube and then while our son isn't looking one of us will ring our door bell, pretend to answer the door and there will be a surprise package left for our son (I've already made the package and hidden it!). The package contains photos, bits collected from the Playhouse Disney show (leaves, streamers etc) and a special letter inviting Jack and his mum and dad to stay at the Sequoia Lodge the next day for 7 days!

My son is only 3 and keeps saying that once we have saved the money we will have to go back if he is good, bless him! So hopefully this means it will be an amazing surprise for him, plus I don't have to cook dinner the night before we go!

daddyof2

We're planning not to tell them until we get there (or someone else gives the game away). If we tell them in advance, our daughter will be asking if today's the day - EVERY day

seraphelle

Hiya,

I had te same dilemma just last week after we'd booked out first trip. I really applaud people who can hold onto the secret until the day before they leave but I was BURSTING to tell my two girls.

What we did in the end, is we got some print-offs from the web (its a Mickey silhouette and a Mickey shaped pattered space and then in disney writing is says 'day left until Disneyland) and out them in frames so we could write on the glass with a wipeable marker every day how many days were left and wrote the days on, then wrapped them up in Disney tissue paper from the Disney store. We also got them a small Minnie Mouse each. I also wrote invitations and put them in golden envelopes, and then all this was boxed up in a Mickey & Minnie box from the Disney store.

When the girls opened the box they had the Minnie Mouse soft toys first, then saw their invitations (inside it basically said 'I have been waiting ever so patiently for you to come visit me, don't you think its time you did? I sure do! All my love, Minnie xxx'.

Then they opened the paper with the frames in that said 76 days til Disneyland and the screaming and crying began.........!!!

Enjoy!

Sera x
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

Zee79

Hi,
Been to DLP quite a few times now, the last trip being in back in May. We booked last nov and i created a poster for my two with 'If you go down to the woods today..... Sequoia Lodge is your surprise' and pinned it up in the living room. Well the screams when they walked in after school, more so from my eldest (age 10)! i've done the same this year with another holiday but still the kids are on count down until we return to DLP next (hopefully for a Halloween or Christmas).

julesk

I agree its so hard to keep it a secret. We have booked a suprise Halloween 7th birthday trip for 2014 for our daughter. She has been 3 times before but has always wanted to stay in the pink palace. So its not a huge shock expected but I plan to tell her on her actual birthday which is a few days before we go. I so badly want to tell her as we share everything but then I will regret it on her birthday.  :?

Going to have a test run at xmas this year, booked Disney on ice tickets for dare to dream a few days after. She has no idea and loves Tangled after meeting Rapunzel twice before.  :D

KRHARWOOD

Thanks guys all of your ideas are amazing I may have to put a fee details from each together will let you all know what we end up doing :0)

KRHARWOOD

So guys I've decided to do a treasure hunt for the kids to find out about their Disney trip. I plan on leaving a small Disney novelty with each clue leading them to the kitchen where I've printed out a mickey mouse how many days to Disney picture and put it in a magnetic photo frame that's gonna be stuck to the fridge what do you guys think??

SParky

Love it
Santa Fe - November 2013