Few Questions - 25 days and counting

Started by capitalbarbie, May 13, 2013, 08:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capitalbarbie

Hi Everyone

Just a few questions, its been a while since I have visited before.

Our trip will be my, DH, DD (13) and DS (8) and we are staying in the Cheyenne for 5 nights/6days.

We are taking a small fridge (for medication and also to keep wine in the room chilled etc.., Disney have ok'd this), I plan on taking some snacks and things for the kids, will the car be easy to walk to daily or is it better to bring everything in the room in one go?

Also, wine, is it cheaper there then the UK, if I buy from the hypermarket or supermarket before we arrive ?
and if so, where is best to buy from ?

Will I really need reservations for restaurants, not planning on character meals just normal ?

My kids are older 13 and 8 but I still want to do goody bags for the journey, we are driving from Dover via the Dunkirk ferry, any ideas as to what I can put in them (no sweets though as little one is diabetic  :shock: )

Finally, I want to go to Paris for a day (its our wedding anniversary),  I thought it would be cheaper by train any ideas on costs, timings etc...?

Am on a tight budget so any other cost saving or helpful tips most welcome  :D/

Thanks in advance

Andree xx
WDW Florida 1997
WDW Florida 1998
DLP Hotel Cheyenne 1999
WDW Florida 2006
WDW Florida 2009
DLP Hotel Cheyenne 2013

polar vixen

Buffets are definitelythe best value for money, if you can, skip lunch and eat late afternoon, it means restaurant will be quieter, and you can get by on 2 meals a day, justy fill up well, (taking snacks for those who need frequent sugar boosts of course).  Booking is definitely advisable, but you can do this at hotel when you arrive, have a look on here, and pick out a few places before you go, you can always rearrange once you've had a look around.
My biggest treat- money saving tip is to buy a disneyland lanyard and badges on ebay before we go - you'll pay 6 Euros each for a badge, (at least once there), which can take up alot of money, but it is fun, and gets the kids interacting and quiet while you're in shops, as they'll be busy eyeing up the cast members badges.  i got a great deal where someone was selling a joblot of 25 badges for £12.50, so i bought that and split them between the kids giving them loads to swop for ones they liked once there.  
Since you're driving, def. take loads of snacks, and dilute juice with bottles to take with you each day.  It'll save a fortune!
Have a great time1!

gemmasteele84

We are taking a small fridge (for medication and also to keep wine in the room chilled etc.., Disney have ok'd this), I plan on taking some snacks and things for the kids, will the car be easy to walk to daily or is it better to bring everything in the room in one go?

I stayed at the cheyanne and it depends where your room is tbh, they're spread out a bit so not sure how close yours would be to the car park.

Also, wine, is it cheaper there then the UK, if I buy from the hypermarket or supermarket before we arrive ?
and if so, where is best to buy from ?

Depends what you like I guess. Our local tescos does wine 4 bottles for £10, wont get cheaper than that in france lol. However if you like the more expencive stuff there is a little shop just outside the santa fe hotel which sells wine quite cheap. Not sure about big supermarkets myself as never gone offsite much.

Will I really need reservations for restaurants, not planning on character meals just normal ?

Depends where/when you want to eat. We booked walts on the first morning of our stay and couldnt get in for the rest of the 8 days we were there. We booked it during the parade and the kids could watch from the window. Pricey but worth every penny. Most other places as long as you're prepared to wait, or try somewhere else if it is full you could get away with.

My kids are older 13 and 8 but I still want to do goody bags for the journey, we are driving from Dover via the Dunkirk ferry, any ideas as to what I can put in them (no sweets though as little one is diabetic )

I made goody ags for mine (though maybe a bit young for the 13 year old lol) and got most of it from poundland. Colouring books, Mickey sports bottles (godsend during the hol) and other bits. I also got the badges and lanyards from ebay and honestly wished Id got more.

Finally, I want to go to Paris for a day (its our wedding anniversary), I thought it would be cheaper by train any ideas on costs, timings etc...?

It is cheaper by train as my friends did it and it cost £25 for the 3 of them, not sure of times though but think the trains were quite regular.

Money saving tips:
Take water bottles and fill from the drinking fountains about the park.
Make rolls and things at breakfast and take for lunch (everyone does)
If you want to buy gifts etc shop about. All shops have the same prices on things but each has a different offer. Spend over 30 euros get such and such half price. We almost bought my daughter a doll at 60euros then saw it on offer for 30 in another shop if we spent over 25.
Not a money saving tip but have breakfast in the park at least once during your stay. Theres a better selection than the cheyanne and makes good use of the extra magic hours.

tubbsy

http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_21879/tourists/

I've been doing my own research into travelling into Paris when we go in August. I found this website and thought it was really useful.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club