What would you do?

Started by eduws, March 21, 2013, 02:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eduws

So I'm hoping to take the kids to DLRP next year, it will be our 3rd trip. First time we were a family of 4 with baby no.3 growing nicely in my belly , baby no.1 was just turning 3 and baby no.2 was 20 months and in a cot. We travelled in January during school time and stayed at the Sante Fe. It was brilliant.

Second time we went we were a family of five, we travelled in May baby no.3 turned 1 and baby no.2 turned 3 while we were there, baby no.1 was a little over 4. We stayed at the Sante Fe and got no sleep as 5 in one room was a disaster.

When we go back it will be with the intention of celebrating baby no.3's 3rd birthday. We are thinking we will need 2 bedrooms, so my first question is do any of the hotels do interconnecting rooms, and if so, which ones? My second question is regarding when to go. Previously we have avoided school holidays but we won't be able to this time as babies 1 and 2 will both be at school. Our choices then are February half term, Easter or may half term. His birthday is may so that would be closest but I'm wondering if that is likely to be the busiest and most expensive time too?

So in conclusion, when would you go, and where would you stay?

Thank you x

Ps. Whilst Davy Crockett has the potential to solve all our problems, we would take the Eurostar and would not be driving so the lack of shuttle bus makes it an unsuitable option for us.

gemma2806

You'll find that all the Disney hotels have interconnecting rooms you just need to request this when booking. If you have the chance I would try and stay at the Hotel Cheyenne as it is the same price as the Santa Fe but in my personal opinion it is better. In terms of when you're going, Easter will be the busiest time out of the 3 times to go. So I'd avoid that choice for the cost as well. February half term would be quieter but the weather is more temperamental and as its the off peak season you may find a lot of attractions closed but due to these reasons there are usually some brilliant child offers on such as all kids under 7 stay and play free. For the nicest weather and medium crowds I would say May half term would be good for you. The sad fact remains though that school holidays will always mean a ridiculous hike in prices.

lauralouisemidwinter

I know it is a bit more than a standard room (I am not sure how much), but the Santa Fe do family rooms that sleep up to 6 or and the person said before me you can get adjoining rooms.
Laura Louise

My yesterday is your today, My today is your tomorrow.

DLP - 2011 - May/June - Santa Fe
DLP - 2012 - February - Santa Fe - VERY COLD
DLP - 2013 - March - Santa Fe
DLP - 2014 - September Santa Fe - CAN'T WAIT

eduws

Thank you.
We have avoided Cheyenne previously because of the bunk beds as the kids were so small, but they are actually getting a triple bunk here at Easter so that is lessof a concern now. Also, the first time we went, there were three different school groups staying there, kids climbing in and out of the windows to get into other rooms. It really put us off staying there, but I'm guessing that is less likely to be an issue in the holidays. Is the breakfast there any better than the Sante Fe? We were fine there in January but when we went in May the queues were stupid so we ended up eating in the park most days...

eduws

Laura Louise, I'm guessing a family room would be cheaper than two standard but I'm not convinced it would solve the problem. May have to look into that though. Is the Sante Fe the only one with family rooms do you know?

lauralouisemidwinter

I know that the Santa Fe and Cheyenne both do family rooms, but the Cheyenne does have bunk beds so that may be a problem with small children. I am glad I have helped  :)
Laura Louise

My yesterday is your today, My today is your tomorrow.

DLP - 2011 - May/June - Santa Fe
DLP - 2012 - February - Santa Fe - VERY COLD
DLP - 2013 - March - Santa Fe
DLP - 2014 - September Santa Fe - CAN'T WAIT

captain rocket

You could try the Explorers, their rooms have the flexibility to house up to ten people. Two rooms with double beds are linked by another narrower room to take two so you could have a quad room and the twin that connects. This would probably be cheaper than a Disney hotel as well.

captain rocket

if you look on their website www.explorers.com and click on rooms it will explain their "crew rooms" concept.

jackieann

newport bay do family rooms for 5. check out the price for that.

eduws

That sounds awesome but I'm not sure about staying off site. Will definitely look into it though, thank you.

gemma2806

The breakfasts in Santa Fe, Cheyenne, Sequoia Lodge and Newport Bay are all the same continental with option to pay extra euros for hot options. The New York and Disneyland Hotel offer continental and hot options together as standard. All hotels do family rooms but I don't know if they would be cheaper than interconnecting rooms.

I can understand completely why you would be put off by the groups of school children, it seems they tend to organise large groups to the Cheyenne in Jan, Feb and March probably because of it being the discount season. I've been there in August for the summer holidays and never experienced any problems like this but it's whatever you're comfortable with as its your holiday.

captain rocket

You should have no concerns with staying offsite, I have done this many times as well as staying in all the Disney hotels, The plain unvarnished truth is that the Disney hotels are way overpriced and the only two advantage points they have,in my opinion, is the convenience of being able to walk to the parks and the fact that they are DISNEY! The Explorers would be about another ten minutes travelling time on the free bus service and would offer you the space that you need with your family and would almost certainly save you money.
Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Elaine

yep, i agree with captain rocket. i only stay onsite if its cheaper than offsite with annual passes - the associated hotels (Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus and Kyriad) are nicer than their onsite equivalents.

polar vixen

1) Shame you can't do Davy crockett - it's fab having a little living area and 2 bedrooms so you all get some peace!, but are still together.  I've tried the interconnecting room idea myself (we have 4 kids) and while it's always worth comparing prices, it's worked out alot of money compared to all being in the one room.  
2) We've actually found that to accomodate our family (even when it was just 3 kids) it was actually cheaper to stay at the santa fe than it was the explorers.  The hotel maay be nicer but there is something to say for being able to have pics with disney characters when you go for breakfast, even silly things like having a disney shop, it just seems more magical.  I think if you could afford somewhere like the newport bay or one of the more expensive hotels you'll prob have less probs with noise from other guests, and possibly more space in your room.  It is difficult though, when you're in a room with three kids trying to get them to sleep, it basically mean if you want them to go to sleep, the lights go to out and you go to bed too.  Reading someone else's report, (sorry, can't remember who's) they had a room at Sequoia Lodge, with a balcony where they would often put their son down to sleep, and then have a sit out on the balcony.  A nice option if you have to share a room - you still get a little peace and grown up time on a evening (weather permitting of course!

emsamess

I know that you said no to Davy Crockett, but it really is a fab place to stay. We have stayed there 6 times now. Four of the 6 times we took our own car from the UK, which is not as bad as it sounds.

Time no 5, we took the Eurostar and collected a hire car from the train station. Time no 6, we flew into CDG, got the TGV into Disney and then picked up a hire car.

It is a very short journey, very well sign posted and driving on the left, in a left hand drive is actually more natural then you would thing.

The only negative with the above, is that you have to collect your hire car, drive to the DCR to collect your tickets and then come back to the park, all meaning you lose a couple of hours. However you more than make this time up during your star as you have your own transport and don't have to rely on shuttle buses.

On the last day, simple leave your luggage in the left luggage place at the train station.