Dreading how cold it is going to be

Started by IrishMinnie, March 11, 2013, 02:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrishMinnie

We are heading over next Tuesday and I am so worried aboutt he weather. I am only bringing hand luggage but will be able to fit warm clothes in but still I am just praying for a few degrees higher then it looks. Does the cold ruin it?  :?:

gemmasteele84

We went in February a few years ago and besides one day of sunshine (actually had to buy some t-shirts as hasn't packed any!) it was freezing! Except for the parades though if I'm honest we barely noticed it. You're moving a lot which keeps you warm, if you're in a queue it can be quite warm as you're surrounded by people, lol. If you do want to warm up there's lots of inside shows, a fair few rides which queue indoors and a cup of hot chocolate while watching the parade always helps :) if you don't want to pack too much I'd just pack what you were planning, but wear a warm coat and gloves etc to travel.

ilovedisneylandparis

I think the cold weather actually seems to put a lot of people off going, so even though you might feel a bit chilly, you will probably have less crowds and queues to deal with, which can only be a positive :D

I would just suggest taking a few layers so you have the option to swap around - you don't want to be stuck with just winterwear if it warms up towards the end of your trip. Maybe some of those snapping hand warmers to keep in your pockets? And like Gemma said, there are plenty of indoor things to do, and a lot of the queues are indoors :) I can understand why you are worried, you don't normally expect weather like this in March! But I reckon once you're there you won't even notice, and you might find the parks quieter too.

jeakat24

I would take a couple of extra pairs of socks and some leggings to wear under your regular trousers. You can always wear a thick coat instead of packing one.

We've been in Jan before and it was bitter! I noticed it especially then as I was a smoker so I would spend more time outside than most but as others have said, you're moving around a lot. Plus I think March is much warmer than Jan!

Have a great trip- would love to see a March trip report
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

princessemily

We go next Tuesday too Irishminnie and also just with hand luggage. We will be wearing our normal winter coats with fleeces under (in case it warms up)! We have been in march 4 times before and usually end up needing sunscreen so this will be new for us. Plenty of hot drinks, warm socks and go see an indoor show if you need to thaw out. Do you travel from Dublin?
Sequoia  Lodge - May 2004
NPBC- September 2005
SL - June 2006
SL- June 2007
Ch -December 2007
NY - September 2008
SL - March 2009
SL- March 2010
NY - March 2011
SL - January 2012
Ch - March 2012
NPBC -March 2013
SL - February 2014
Ch - February 2015
Ch - November 2015
NPBC -March 2016
NY - November 2016
SL - April 2017
SLGF - March 2018
NY - Nov 2018
Cheyenne - Nov 2019
NY Nov 2021

IrishMinnie

No, Belfast princessmily.

Looks like it is going to be very wet over there going by accuweather.

Elaine

i'm seeing temps of 8 degrees plus on accuweather, with chance of rain most days - but that doesn't mean heavy or torrential, or every constant, rain. Thats not freezing cold, and not hideously rainy either. Having had tipping-down rain most of my trips in May and June over the past 4 years, I'd say as long as you have waterproof footwear and a coat that keeps you dry, you'll be fine. The rain puts local guests off coming to DLP, so rain is in your favour!

IrishMinnie

You are right Elaine, and it will be fantastic. The temps thing though, the real feel is very low, 8 I could live with! I just hope it all goes well.

Am thinking of checking a bag in and taking some of the pressure off. That means I could also bring some treats from here  ;)

julesk

We did christmas eve/day years ago and couldnt stand the cold, it was terrible and so busy no where to sit to have a drink and warm up. Let alone get on rides. Yet we did March last year and got sun burnt waiting for the parade to start. Dont worry, like everyone else has said, your be fine as wont be to busy so your keep moving all day. Have a great time.

AislingM

Quote from: "IrishMinnie"We are heading over next Tuesday and I am so worried aboutt he weather. I am only bringing hand luggage but will be able to fit warm clothes in but still I am just praying for a few degrees higher then it looks. Does the cold ruin it?  :?:

Long Johns and thermal vests are so easy to pack into your hand luggage and keep you really warm , I always bring them to Disney. Dunnes do them all year round for about 12 euro
Hotel Cheyenne January 1998, 99, 2000,
Newport Bay May 2002
Hotel Cheyenne January 03,04,05,06,07,08, 10,12
Sequoia Lodge January 2009, Feb 2013
Hotel New York November 11, Feb 14
Newport Bay November 14

IrishMinnie

So I am back and there was nothing to worry about. We had zero rain and it was warmer then here, chilly but nothing bad!

The only bad thing was the hotel. We stayed in the Cheyanne and it was horrible, really horrible. The breakfast was a scrum every single morning no matter what time I went at and there was a bird in the rafters of the dining room that kept flying about. We did the buffet dinner one night and a mouse ran through, I thought I would never get out of there. It really took that magical feeling out of the trip[. I would never stay there again.

Elaine

DLP is surrounded by farmland and water, so its not unusual to see real mice about the resort (including some of the restaurants).

Glad the weather was kind to you though.

Zee79

My family stayed there one Christmas- I stayed in the Santa fe, and it was a scrum then for everything. My daughter had a broken collar bone at the time and people just did not care, pushed her around, knocking little ones over to get to the food (I must add it seemed to be one particular nationality that did this, not british and I was shocked by it).

For the mouse appearance, it is hard when you are not used to it. The weather is bad so they will be trying to come indoors for warmth and food. DLP do try hard to keep everything like that under control but even with all the methods available to them it's not possible to catch every one. They would probably get complaints if people could see traps etc around the hotels/parks. I live in large town in the U.K and I am mortified when I see a mouse but I have to stay a lot in the countryside due to husband's work and I nearly passed out when I first started to see mice near to and sometimes in the roof of the property. The locals just laugh and said it's something you need to get use to- I have started to adjust now up there haha.

IrishMinnie

Ah yeah ye are right re the mouse, I think it was just a combination of everything that went against us. The bloody Newyork Hotel had a MASSIVE disco thing til 1 am one of the nights, I almost cried, we were so tired. There was war over it!

Zee79

I would probably react the same way. I think hotels still need to be aware of guests in neighbouring hotels plus any guests that choose not to attend. DLP is a tiring break, you need a holiday when you get back.