Bolt (Disney 2008)

Started by Kristof, February 15, 2007, 02:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penfold12

Went to see Bolt in 3D today. Have to say, it is really great. Fantastic characters, great voice talent, a huge improvement on recent Disney animation. Rhino the hamster, just classic.

The Cars short, Tokyo Mater, not so special though. It's ok, set in a neon lit Tokyo, so looses a lot of it's charm. Also the music is very "of the moment" and won't help make the short a long term classic.

Back to Bolt, and two things to say. I had a chuckle to myself, when bolt makes it back to Hollywood. He goes through a tunnel, the very same tunnel that is at the end of Hollywood Blv in the WDS Park. I know it's a real tunnel, but great to see it in a Disney movie, nice synergy.

I'm not so sure about the 3D however. As cgi movies evolve, they naturally lift off the screen in detail. Wearing awkward 3D glasses, while the novelty is ok for the first five minutes, after a while I realized that the picture was duller due to the grey shade of the glasses, and they also make the detail dissapear. This is kind of a shame considering the ammount of detail I saw in the trailers when I watched them in HD on the jet. The fur looked great in HD. In 3D, this detail is lost. And the glasses are just annoying. To be honest, five of us went and all five said we would scarifice the 3D element for detail, colour and not wearing annoying glasses!

But go see the film, it's great

The Butlin Boy

I went to see Bolt in 3D today.....it's beyond Awesome - it's...Bey-Awsome!!! :mrgreen:

Gotta love Rhino :wink:

I thought that the 3D was fantastic, as was the story line, and even the Mater short at the beginning. You guys really have to go and see this film :)

Aveen2008

I can't wait to see this film, kinda sucks though as I have a broken ankle and can't really get around easily so even the cinema is kind of a big hastle at the moment, worried I wont get to see it before it ends it's run in UK cinema's but Fingers crossed!

I think Bolt is so cute and after seeing the Pictures from the French premier in the Disney Villiage I am just hoping they may use the 'real life' characters for a meet and greet in the WDS!! [-o<
Luv Aveen xoxo

Clarebelle

Saw it today and loved it! it definatly reeks of Lasseter, which is a good thing! a fantastic thing!

Did anyone spot A14? as the flight gate? is this a pixar reference?? ;) and also "Thats how you blew it with Nemo" ;) it made us giggle  :P are they the Jo Bros??

I don't know what cinema Penfold12 saw this film in but in our cinema the colours were vivid and vibrant, the details were as clear, if not clearer than on a normal cinema screen, the grass for example was brilliant. It was just as good, and as clear as on the 3d adverts. It was simply fantastic.

Also this is the second disney 3D movie I have seen at Odeon and I don't mind the 3D glasses, they are much better than the yellow ones you get at HISTA, and after 5 mins I totally forgot I was wearing them, the normal ones hurt my eyes.
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

penfold12

I saw it a Cineworld cinema in Birmingham. I think I was being a little harsh in my first post, it just.... Hard to explain, just sitting there with the glasses on, I was concious I was wearing them all the time. Kept making me feel there was something between me eyes and the screen. I know that sounds daft, it's hard to explain. Listen, it is great, the 3D element. I kinda wish, as mad as you would look, that the lenses were bigger, so you couldn't see out of the corner of your eye, out of the way of the lenses and that soul make you not realise that you were wearing tinted glasses. Does that ramble make any sense??

Agent Lex

I would have seen this today... had there not instead been a private screening of it in the only 3D cinema in the area I happened to be in. On the positive side, I got to see the Blue Peter dogs.

Yeah, that's not really much of a positive side, is it?

peep

Saw the film today in 3D. It's excellent, a 5 star film!

I have to disagree about the Mater short, I thought it was terrible.

The 3D element, well, this is like the 5th film I have seen at the cinema in 3D and I wasn't that impressed. The old version of the glasses were much better, massive Burton-esque glasses. I also thought there was more of a grey tint with these new ones. Also with the fact they now keep the glasses themselves means they are now getting miserably smudgy and dirty, this really destroys the 3D effect. I may even write a letter to the cinema. The old ones you took out of an unopened plastic bag thing meant they couldn't be destroyed before you used them. Argh!
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

penfold12

No, I agree about the Mater short. Poor story line, worse music and the fact it is set in a neon drenched Tokyo takes away any of the charm of the original film.

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "peep"Saw the film today in 3D. It's excellent, a 5 star film!

The 3D element, well, this is like the 5th film I have seen at the cinema in 3D and I wasn't that impressed. The old version of the glasses were much better, massive Burton-esque glasses. I also thought there was more of a grey tint with these new ones. Also with the fact they now keep the glasses themselves means they are now getting miserably smudgy and dirty, this really destroys the 3D effect. I may even write a letter to the cinema. The old ones you took out of an unopened plastic bag thing meant they couldn't be destroyed before you used them. Argh!

Hmmm... at our cinema, they gave us the ones from the plastic packs that you can keep, perhaps it varys from cinema to cinema then :-k

Patrick

Quote from: "peep"Saw the film today in 3D. It's excellent, a 5 star film!

Ah I at Cineworld Middlesbrough, got the cool Nightmare Before Christmas 3d glasses, in an un-opened bag, no smudges, just clear 3d glasses :wink: .  I thought the 3d was good, but not really amazing, though I have not ever been that astounded by 3d, mostly found nightmare the best in 3d.  
Bolt is a really great film, clever, nice, simple storyline, nice to see disney not overdoing storylines and the film was just great.  Though as much as I found the cars short funny, it was not really that good.  Well worth my rather cheap, free entry, ah how I love cineworld unlimited tickets :) .

Anthony

Hi Disney! Where've ya been?! Welcome back!

It's like someone remembered to design characters for this film, and to actually animate them! It's actually memorable and likeable and easy to get sucked into, with some very funny moments as had been said from Rhino, and also the Hollywood pigeons (I rated them more than New York's :wink: ).

I've got to admit, after the cute introduction and awesome opening title, the first 20mins or so until he [POSSIBLE SPOILERS!] left New York dragged a bit... it didn't feel very special. It felt like a rather dull Lady & the Tramp meets both Toy Story and Toy Story 2. It was too much of a drop-off after the action opening, but maybe that was the point... to get us in his mindset? Hmm.. But anyway, around about the time they left the city and arrived at the RV camp, it became really great.

One thing that surprised me was the quality of the animation on the humans, particularly the director and the assistant guy. Pixar have been going far more stylised lately, but these appeared much more natural and... believable. They moved properly, but still with personality. The portrayals of the TV execs is brilliantly horrible... especially that ending. And the songs during and after the film were actually good!

So all-round, I loved it too! Finally, one of the clever things was how you keep seeing the "Bolt" TV show billboards during the film... Then on my way home just now, I saw a real poster for the film, looking just like those, and in my absurd Disney fan's mind, it felt a little bit like it was all real... 8)

Tokyo Mater wasn't as bad as I expected after reading here earlier, but it's probably best kept as a loud afternoon TV cartoon to shift more merchandise rather than up on the big screen. Though all those shiny cars and swooping camera shots looked pretty damn cool in 3D, so I can see why they chose it.

Quote from: "Patrick"Though as much as I found the cars short funny, it was not really that good.  Well worth my rather cheap, free entry, ah how I love cineworld unlimited tickets :) .
I wish Odeon did those, the two Cineworlds near me aren't very good. Though I did get to keep the glasses in the Disney Digital 3D bag too, it cost £5 for a student ticket (up from £4.40 last month) with a premium of £2 for that extra dimension! Now I see why 3D is going to be so popular with the studios this year...

gerbillcat

Saw Bolt in 3D today. Loved it  :D. A really good story with a great lead character and the animation is brilliant. Also really liked the score by John Powell.

Captain Pan

OK I saw it in 2D....

But it was like Rhino says was so completly awesome... it was better than awesome it was Bey-Awesome!

Characters were enchanting, the voice acting and overall story and way in which it was carried out was perfect. Soundtrack appropriate, although if one of Disney/Pixar's more well known composers had done it,there would have been a bigger spark, and more award nominations!

This is the first clear sign of a Disney revival, and a solid nail in Circle 7 Cheep-quel coffin!

Did anyone notice something thats been "Missing" over recent years return to Bolt's opening?

Tokyo Mater: Ok... That was a nice warm up for big feature... Nothing overly spectacular like Presto was before WALL-E or Lifted before Ratatouille, here's hoping Partly Cloudy before Up will be better. Otherwise: Story was fun, quirky, entertaining and great! Graphics were as usual Great! The new designs of Mater and Lightning were unique and I await the release of the models!  Those who were expecting something more from the Short, and how it should have been more like the usual Disney Classic Shorts, obviously haven't watched the ones that have been features on Disney Cinemagic, and forget how Disney is now two award winning Animation Studios and the More Successful Studio for the Past 10 years, and noted for their spectacular shorts isn't Walt Disney Animation Studios its Pixar!

Agent Lex

I finally got to see this last night, and managed to catch it in 3D. Mini-reviews ahoy!

Trailers:
Coraline: I WANT TO SEE THIS MOVIE. I admit, I wanted to see it before seeing this trailer in 3D, but the 3D makes me want to see it more.
Up: Same old trailer we're used to, but apparently in 3D. I'll get onto the "apparently" later.
Monsters vs Aliens: As Dreamworks Animation's first original thought since Shrek 1, you gotta give them credit. Looked like a decent movie.
Some Jonas Brothers thing: Yeah, I wasn't paying attention to that.

Tokyo Mater: I agree with what everyone was saying, even though Tokyo should be bright with all the lights, it really seems toned down. If I had to put my finger on a point when that really peaks, it's when "new Mater" comes out. The other big thing I noticed about both Tokyo Mater and Up is that the 3D is almost unnoticable. Compared to, say, the other father's hands reaching out in the Coraline trailer, or that one 3D effect right at the end of Bolt, they both just seemed very flat. I'll probably go to see Up in 2D, just because the 3D looked unimpressive. It seems that while being kings of the computer animated movie, Pixar haven't gotten the hang of using 3D to its potential, unlike Walt Disney Animation.

Bolt itself:
Better than I was expecting, given Disney's recent output. I saw a poster for it today that had a critic's quote on it, something like "Disney are back on form"* and I totally agree. I'm no movie critic, I tend to rate films as either I like them or I don't, and Bolt gets my "I like it" verdict. Some of the sequences (anything in-show, the RV park, the animal shelter) were great, and the 3D was impressive too. It makes me wonder if it's a different experience seeing it in 2D; there weren't many obvious "3D tricks" effects, but it was still such a vivid 3D picture that I think it would lack something in 2D.

*btw, am I the only one who thinks this is a silly thing to put on your own poster? It's Disney admitting that their recent output's been less than great.

Owain

Im so excited to see Bolt now, but which is the best cinema to go to?. I have a Vue, Odeon and Cineworld within 30 minutes from me. Our vue doesnt have 3D though so that cinemas out, but which is best to watch it in Odeon (Im sure they recently installed the 3D projecters into this cinema just for when Bolt comes out!) or cineworld ?