Is there a "command center" at DLRP?

Started by perrollaz, January 02, 2013, 03:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perrollaz

Hi All
I want to have a little glimpse behind the curtain and wonder how the whole resort is monitored and who is in charge for that.
I allways imagine that they have a 360 degree camera installed atop of the chateau to monitor what's going on in the park :-)
Does anyone know how this is handled?
Is there a supervisor per ride, per land, then for the whole park? Same for the parades- there is a lot of coordination needed.
As most of the cast members are wired with headsets- some kind of 'command center' must exist.
Thank you for any clues  :thumbs:

AislingM

oooh , interesting questions!
Hotel Cheyenne January 1998, 99, 2000,
Newport Bay May 2002
Hotel Cheyenne January 03,04,05,06,07,08, 10,12
Sequoia Lodge January 2009, Feb 2013
Hotel New York November 11, Feb 14
Newport Bay November 14

gldc

I've worked there so can give you some insight. Every cast member is fully trained for their position to handle any emergencies, etc, then each ride/shop has a formateur who knows how to do any additional problems and does traiing, above them is an expe who does the testing for new cast members, above them you have a manger who will manage an entire land's attractions or cleaning or restaurants, above them a senior manager who is responsible for all the aforementioned all together than a director who is responsible for an entire section of the park - for example they would manage all the rides in the park.

Theres also a big central office monitoring all the cctv and PCOPS - which is Park Central Operations (lots of CMs in an office somewhere) who cast members report everything to incl ride times, ride breakdown, anyone taken ill...anything that could affect operations.

There's also the whole security force going on behind the scenes, tones of maintenance people waiting to come out at any moment, parades have a whole management team just to put those on.

I'm thinking on writing a book on this actually haha.
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

Josh

Lol. Maybe you should. It sounds like a really complicated system. :P Do you know whereabouts backstage the Park Central Operations is?
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

perrollaz

Oh thank you, fascinating insight!
I was surprised how kind cast members were at my last visit three weeks ago, they asked if I like my stay and if it is my first visit. Seems a lot of training behind- I guess some kind of cast member bible must exist too.
And yes, write that book ;-)

ford prefect

Quote from: "Josh"Lol. Maybe you should. It sounds like a really complicated system. :P Do you know whereabouts backstage the Park Central Operations is?

Operations control room for Disneyland Park is in the Small World building and above Studio 1 in WDS
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

gldc

Quote from: "ford prefect"
Quote from: "Josh"Lol. Maybe you should. It sounds like a really complicated system. :P Do you know whereabouts backstage the Park Central Operations is?

Operations control room for Disneyland Park is in the Small World building and above Studio 1 in WDS

See, now that I did not know. Only ever spoke to them on the phone, I assumed they'd just be somewhere remote like at Val d'Europe but make sense to have them in the park.

As far as training - it's 1 day called 'traditions' where you learn about the ethos of the company, then 1 day called 'orientation' where you get shown the ins and outs of the parks and where everything is properly. Tehn you have up to 5 days of ride training or shop training, etc. People I know that worked in restaurants were given a 4-hour lecture on how to wash your hands haha.  :lol:
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

perrollaz

Means that every castmember can work at every ride/shop?

gldc

Quote from: "perrollaz"Means that every castmember can work at every ride/shop?

With shops once trained you can work anywhere. With rides every ride is completely different and you have to be tested for each ride you work on.  So a rollercoaster like Big Thunder mountain would be 5 days training on its own.

Each ride has different emergency procedures, etc so each has its own manual.

Most people start on one ride and then they'll teach you more rides the longer you stay so that you are not always in the same location.

Ravenseye

Very interesting thread.
I love books about 'behind the scenes' stuff, how many kilos of steak are ordered, how many painkillers get 'dished' out at the meds centre per week etc...  :)
Disneyworld 1990
Disneyland Paris 1996, 2002, 2004, 2013, 2014...

perrollaz

I've once watched a documentary about Disney world in Orlando. They have tunnels under the whole area for cast members and supply to move around in Disney world.
Does something like that exist in Paris too?

Jonjo

There are no Utilidors at DLP, they would have been very expensive to build.  Since WDW and have not been used at any other Disney Park.  

There is also a control booth for Disney Dreams!
//http://www.dlrptoday.com/2012/02/22/disney-dreams-show-control-building-plays-pretend-as-parks-landscaping-department/
The Disneyland Paris Shareholders Blog.
www.salonmickey.co.uk

WesternMouse

Why are you asking such specific questions regarding the operations of DLRP? Anything the public needs to know is 1. already published online somewhere or 2. already published online somewhere. Disney has made their back of the house operations more public over the last 15 years. The type of specific questioning you are undertaking smells bad to me. This is a forum and nobody knows you from Adam, so you could be a terrorist and I don't want anybody's family put at risk because innocent posters here spill too many beans to help you.

Take your social engineering somewhere else.

ford prefect

The construction of the DLP vs WDW is significantly different.  WDW Magic Kingdom Utilidor is built on ground level, with the park itself being built on top as the first floor.  Whereas Parc Disney is built on the ground floor.

The topography and socio-economics of the area is very different.  Marne La Vallee is subject to much greater planning regulations.  WDW is essentially free from all of that kind of thing because the whole area is run and owned by Reedy Creek which is owned by, err, The Walt Disney Company.

Chessy Mairie is responsible for the majority of planning for DLRP and they are very reticent to grant excessive buildings.
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

sven

WesternMouse: You joined only to post this paranoid and aggressive stuff? Is it that important to you to blame and demonize a regular poster of the forum that most probably is a Disney geek like most of us?

I find it very interesting to hear about the background and details of operations in the parks.