Disney in the Disney Hotels

Started by Bryn, August 04, 2012, 10:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryn

Hi there. Just to start I love disney and everything about it. I have been to DLRP several time and have always stayed in a Disney hotel. I do this, as I want my Disney day to carry on even when I have left the park. Is it just me or does this not happen as much as I feel it should? For excample. When I turn on the t.v in a Disney hotel(which costs more than an recomended hotel) I excpect to find all the disney chanels in a language that my children and myself can understand. IT'S DISNEYLAND!!!! So why does Disney hide from me. Also in the Hotels, corridors and surrounding areas should there not be piped Disney tunes to again keep the Disny Magic alive. Its not that I don't like the Disney hotels, because I do. Its just I feel they need those few little extra touches that Disney, on a hole do so well or I might aswell stay in a recommended hotel which costs less.
Please Disney make me want to stay in your hotels.

Kristof

But the music in the Disney hotels is chosen by the Imagineers based on the theme of the hotel. If you're staying at Hotel New York, it makes sense to have jazz music played in the lobby and the elevators. Only in the Disneyland Hotel you'll have a classic Disney soundtrack because of its theme.

And regarding Disney Channel, I believe it's available in 5 different languages: French, English, Spanish, Italian and German. Same goes for the "resort video" that plays in 6 languages.

ed-uk

Disney is starting to creep into the hotels though, Bambi in the Sequoia Lodge, Cars theme in the Santa Fe.
Ed & David

Bryn

I know, you are right. Though couldn't the new york music be from Oliver and company which is set in new york, for excample. I have stayed in Santa fe and Sequoia Lodge and I don't remember hearing any music at all, if there is sorry but could you turn it up.
Also I could be wrong but I didn't think that disney junior was available in english. I remember this because my two young children were gutted that they could see there favorate shows, but not understand them.
Yes, on a positive note I think the Cars and Bambi touches are fantastic. Maybe thats why I strive for more.

Maarten

Quote from: "Kristof"But the music in the Disney hotels is chosen by the Imagineers based on the theme of the hotel. If you're staying at Hotel New York, it makes sense to have jazz music played in the lobby and the elevators.

Perhaps they can record some classic Disney soundtracks in a jazz theme (depending on the hotels theme obviously) and incorporate it in the exsisting music loop? That way you will maintain the exsisting loop and atmosphere but add a slight Disney touch to it.

QuoteAnd regarding Disney Channel, I believe it's available in 5 different languages: French, English, Spanish, Italian and German.

And what about the Dutch/Flemish Disney Channel? That's weird... :|

ed-uk

Quote from: "Bryn"I know, you are right. Though couldn't the new york music be from Oliver and company which is set in new york, for excample. I have stayed in Santa fe and Sequoia Lodge and I don't remember hearing any music at all, if there is sorry but could you turn it up.
Also I could be wrong but I didn't think that disney junior was available in english. I remember this because my two young children were gutted that they could see there favorate shows, but not understand them.
Yes, on a positive note I think the Cars and Bambi touches are fantastic. Maybe thats why I strive for more.

I can't remember any music at the Santa Fe and Sequoia Lodge.  You would be surprised how controversial Disney touches in the Disney hotels have been with some members of the forum in the past.
Ed & David

Maarten

Quote from: "ed-uk"
Quote from: "Bryn"I know, you are right. Though couldn't the new york music be from Oliver and company which is set in new york, for excample. I have stayed in Santa fe and Sequoia Lodge and I don't remember hearing any music at all, if there is sorry but could you turn it up.

I can't remember any music at the Santa Fe and Sequoia Lodge.

I assume Sequoia Lodge will have a similar music loop to the Wilderness Lodge loop? It contains beautiful soundtracks (including Dances with Wolves etc.)

QuoteYou would be surprised how controversial Disney touches in the Disney hotels have been with some members of the forum in the past.

It depends on the execution I guess. I applaud the Bambi touches at Seqouia Lodge which are tastefully done, but I am still not sure about Santa Fe's Cars overlay... the bedspreads and the billboard at the entrance in particular put me off. But I understand the need for some Disney touches in the Hotels, because let's be honest, the rooms and corridors of some of the hotels (Newport Bay Club comes to mind) are quite generic.

Patrick89

For me, Disneyland is not just the Disney movies. It's also (maybe especially?) the work of Imagineers who created great and well themed fictious environments. I think there should always be a balance between Disney movie related stuff and non Disney movie offers. I don't like the recent development with just focussing everything on toons, so I'm quite happy if there are places where it isn't obvious that everything is "Disney". Don't get me wrong, I love Disney and all that is related to it, but Disneyland should be more than just a Park to pay tribute to movies. I think if Disneyland was like that, there would not be the same fascination for fans from all over the World. And just look at great web pages like ravenswoodmanor.com, Eurosouvenirland etc., I think they would not exist if everything would just be based on Disney movies. Thus, I don't need Disney sounds everywhere, as Disneyland is a combination of Disney movies and not particulary Disney related sections.
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

Bryn

I see your point about not over doing it with Disney everywhere, as I am yet to be convinced about Mickey and the gang apearing at the wild west show, but it would be nice to have some kind of ambient music at the Disney hotels to give you the sensation of still being entertained. If I remember correctly there was a lack of this at Santa Fe and Sequia Lodge.
 As for Disney junior not being availabe in English on Disneyland televisions, I am still bemused.

ed-uk

DLP is all Disney, but the themeing of the hotels and parks isn't all based upon the movies and cartoon characters.  It's a tough one for me because it's a Disney Resort,  and I can't separate Walt Disney the cartoonist and film producer from Walt Disney the theme park builder. So if they introduce Disney characters and themeing from the movies into the hotels I can understand it.  I've never thought about the music in the hotels, I guess the soundtrack from Bambi would fit at the Sequoia Lodge now, and in the Santa Fe the soundtrack from Cars would be ok.  The Hotel Santa Fe was, is ment to transport us to a Pueblo indian village on route 66 and welcome travellers on their way to the Rio Grande, I'm not sure it works in the middle of a harsh French winter.  The Cars overlay could be an improvement.
Ed & David

MouseMagic

I agree that the Disney hotels need abit more of a "Disney" feel too them. Sometimes I feel like I might aswell be staying anywhere, I want to feel like Im in a (pardon the pun) "Disney land."  :?
I thought the Newport bay was very drab but in the recent refurb it looks really nice, using characters around the walls and on the beds its what every hotel needs, in my opinion.
I think using Bambi for the Sequoia lodge is quite strange since its quite an old film, however it does suit the current themeing of the Sequoia lodge. As for the music, I would love to be able to walk around the hotel listening to Disney music. I get that you need music to suit the theme, but maybe play different music at different areas of the hotel? Just my opinion...  :D
Previous DLP Trips
Hotel Santa Fe - 2002
Hotel Cheyenne - 2004
Sequoia Lodge - 2006
Newport bay - 2011

Sequoia Lodge - June 2013  
Checkout my Disneyland Paris blog! - //https://DLPMainStreet.blogspot.com

Soap

Quote from: "Patrick89"For me, Disneyland is not just the Disney movies. It's also (maybe especially?) the work of Imagineers who created great and well themed fictious environments. I think there should always be a balance between Disney movie related stuff and non Disney movie offers. I don't like the recent development with just focussing everything on toons, so I'm quite happy if there are places where it isn't obvious that everything is "Disney". Don't get me wrong, I love Disney and all that is related to it, but Disneyland should be more than just a Park to pay tribute to movies. I think if Disneyland was like that, there would not be the same fascination for fans from all over the World. And just look at great web pages like ravenswoodmanor.com, Eurosouvenirland etc., I think they would not exist if everything would just be based on Disney movies. Thus, I don't need Disney sounds everywhere, as Disneyland is a combination of Disney movies and not particulary Disney related sections.

I agree on your view for 120%.
The classic Disney movies are epic and a great part of the Disney legacy, but not the only ones.
Walt was not just a cartoonist, but someone with a much greater vision and fantasy.
Take for example the whole Mainstreet look and feel? No toons needed there, but it is just Disney magic all over.
Or the Jules Verne style of Discoveryland? Imho so much more Disney then the Buzz attraction....
(Don't take me wrong, i love Buzz and the attraction, but not at the currect location and surrounding...)

So for me the hotels are just a great place of escaping my daily life. It does give me classical look and feel for the era or area where you are staying. The only thing needed imho is some upgrading in rooms and proper maintenance, but please not too much "toonafication" on the current hotels. The whole Paris style of Hotels are magical.

But i do understand the idea for maybe most "mainstream" Disney fans (and that's ok, don't get me wrong :)) that the relation to Disney is just the cartoons....but it just ain't, there is so much more to Walt :D

Maybe in the future a more dedicated "Art of Animation Hotel" is an option? Or something like the All-Star resorts in Orlando?
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

ford prefect

Well said!
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

ed-uk

I've read your post and I don't know if I can call myself a "mainstream" Disney fan or not, I agree with you that there was more to Walt Disney than just cartoons, although the roots of the WDC are in film and animation. You mentioned Main Street, I love the atmosphere there and OK there is no need for toons. But when I walk in the park the first think I see is the castle, which as we all know is themed upon Sleeping Beauty, a Disney cartoon classic film, it's the centre piece of the park. So when people return to the beautiful hotel New York are they really pretending that they are in New York because it's more adult theme and less toony?
Ed & David

Soap

Quote from: "ed-uk"I've read your post and I don't know if I can call myself a "mainstream" Disney fan or not, I agree with you that there was more to Walt Disney than just cartoons, although the roots of the WDC are in film and animation. You mentioned Main Street, I love the atmosphere there and OK there is no need for toons. But when I walk in the park the first think I see is the castle, which as we all know is themed upon Sleeping Beauty, a Disney cartoon classic film, it's the centre piece of the park. So when people return to the beautiful hotel New York are they really pretending that they are in New York because it's more adult theme and less toony?

I agree with that and also the fact that "we" want to be enchanted into the world of Disney.
What i wanted to express is that there are more fantasy worlds within Disney then only the"Toons".
But good point, the Castle is indeed e classical example of Disney tale coming to life.

But what about Frontierland? That's mostly a magical Disney place on it's own?

ps. i dont't want to put labels on people, but "mainstream" was the first thing that popped in my mind for trying to
explain my point without really categorize people  ;)
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney