Disney's Newport Bay Club refurbishment

Started by Kristof, July 31, 2012, 06:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maarten

Quote from: "Reiana"Wow, it's amazing!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  Looks like a completely new hotel from the inside.
It's like old Titanic vs DCL. Appologies to the Titanic.

Considering the fact that Newport Bay Club is supposed to be a seaside resort in Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard at the turn of the century, it would be appropriate to give the corridors a more sophisticated Victorian look instead of a Disney Cruise Line look if you ask me. The new decor is not my cup of tea to be honest. Did anyone check out Europapark's new Hotel Bell Rock? It captures the New England atmopshere very nicely (much better than Newport Bay Club).  ;)

Newport Bay Club is a 'moderate resort' (although the similar Yacht and Beach Club at Walt Disney World are labeled as 'deluxe resorts'), so the decoration shouldn't be too classy, but some inspiration could have been taken from the real Titanic like the lighting fixtures, colour pallete etc.

ed-uk

Quote from: "Maarten"
Quote from: "Reiana"Wow, it's amazing!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  Looks like a completely new hotel from the inside.
It's like old Titanic vs DCL. Appologies to the Titanic.

Considering the fact that Newport Bay Club is supposed to be a seaside resort in Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard at the turn of the century, it would be appropriate to give the corridors a more sophisticated Victorian look instead of a Disney Cruise Line look if you ask me. The new decor is not my cup of tea to be honest. Did anyone check out Europapark's new Hotel Bell Rock? It captures the New England atmopshere very nicely (much better than Newport Bay Club).  ;)

Newport Bay Club is a 'moderate resort' (although the similar Yacht and Beach Club at Walt Disney World are labeled as 'deluxe resorts'), so the decoration shouldn't be too classy, but some inspiration could have been taken from the real Titanic like the lighting fixtures, colour pallete etc.

It's Europa Park though isn't it, and how does a hotel with a New England (USA) atmosphere fit into the Europe theme? They don't have to copy Disney's hotels do they?
Anyhow I'm loving the new deep rich colours in the Newport Bay Club.
Ed & David

Maarten

Here's a first look at the newly decorated rooms, thanks to mick73 at Disney Central Plaza.

And the bathroom...

ed-uk

i really like it, the rich colours, the Disney characters on the wall. I like it better than the old style room with the white furniture, this is much warmer. Obviously we won't find any Disney characters at the Bell Rock in Europa Park even if it does have a New England atmosphere and a lighthouse.  Although we will have the opportunity to meet a grey mouse called Euromaus. They're just full of original ideas.
Ed & David

MouseMagic

That is a massive step-up from the previous decor. I really like the choice of colours and the hidden mickey on the headboard.  :ears:
Previous DLP Trips
Hotel Santa Fe - 2002
Hotel Cheyenne - 2004
Sequoia Lodge - 2006
Newport bay - 2011

Sequoia Lodge - June 2013  
Checkout my Disneyland Paris blog! - //https://DLPMainStreet.blogspot.com

isani

Did they take the existing headboard and bolt on Mickey ears? That's... looking pretty good, actually.

I also like that a lot of browns and oranges have been added to the color scheme. The previous scheme was so heavy on white and blue that it felt really cold to me.

pussinboots

White Titanic-style wood paneling with Victorian sconces would have been appropriate had it been a deluxe hotel, but moderate Disney hotels should be slightly more fun than intimidatingly fancy. I think they've accomplished that very well.

A huge upgrade from the pile of dated cheap that was there before (and unfortunately still comprises 99% of the premises.)

And I agree with the above poster about the brown. Gives it a slight cruise line travel feel without plunging completely into the 1930s.

ewormas

HI, does anyone know if the refurbished rooms are being occupied by guests yet? I so wanna stay in one!!

Josh

I like the Hidden Mickeys on the carpet. It's a shame they've made the ones on the beds not-so-hidden. I don't like it when they splatter Mickey heads like that, everywhere. Plus, I don't get why they've used portholes when we're not on a ship.

But they're my only complaints, and the rooms are still ten times better than the old ones. XD I love the new little bedside lamps and the new mirror table in the corner. It's much more warmer and welcoming.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

15MagicalYears

I love that vanity in the corner, it's always so awkward when two people are trying to get ready in the room with the only real space available is the bathroom sink / mirror. This has definitely made the Newport Bay more appealing to me.

ed-uk

Quote from: "Josh"I like the Hidden Mickeys on the carpet. It's a shame they've made the ones on the beds not-so-hidden. I don't like it when they splatter Mickey heads like that, everywhere. Plus, I don't get why they've used portholes when we're not on a ship.

But they're my only complaints, and the rooms are still ten times better than the old ones. XD I love the new little bedside lamps and the new mirror table in the corner. It's much more warmer and welcoming.

I take your point about the portholes and it not being a ship, and if they had replaced the existing windows with portholes I would agree with you,  but it is a hotel with a yacht-club theme so they don't  look out of place in the wallpaper design.  it is a Disney hotel at a Disney resort after all and I think the portholes and characters are a fun touch.
Ed & David

Riebi

Hm I don´t like it that much. Liked more the bite elaborated style of newport bay and so for the rooms. Love the corridors. But this portholes are a bit too much. I loved the not so heavy bambi touches at SL. This room is a bit tooo much characters for me. I want to be in new england. Not in a comic stripe.

So what I like:

The new carpet
The new pillows
The new blankets
The style of the chairs
The idea of suitcase boards (but this variation is to much toon for me)
The bathroom

I think the rooms lost everything of the old imagineering idea. It´s a bit like the cars theme at  SF.  :?
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

ed-uk

Quote from: "Riebi"Hm I don´t like it that much. Liked more the bite elaborated style of newport bay and so for the rooms. Love the corridors. But this portholes are a bit too much. I loved the not so heavy bambi touches at SL. This room is a bit tooo much characters for me. I want to be in new england. Not in a comic stripe.

So what I like:

The new carpet
The new pillows
The new blankets
The style of the chairs
The idea of suitcase boards (but this variation is to much toon for me)
The bathroom

I think the rooms lost everything of the old imagineering idea. It´s a bit like the cars theme at  SF.  :?
It's a matter of taste I know but if you really want to be in New England go to New England, a Disney Resort  isn't the best place to find the real thing.  It's Disney's Newport Bay Club and I put the empasis on the word Disney. I don't understand this logic some people have, if you want the real thing why go to a theme park resort?  Surely people who book a holiday to DLP are buying a Disney holiday, not a really a holiday in New England. They want the full on Disney experience. Walt Disney after whom the resort is named was a cartoonist.
Ed & David

MouseMagic

QuoteIt's a matter of taste I know but if you really want to be in New England go to New England, a Disney Resort isn't the best place to find the real thing. It's Disney's Newport Bay Club and I put the empasis on the word Disney. I don't understand this logic some people have, if you want the real thing why go to a theme park resort? Surely people who book a holiday to DLP are buying a Disney holiday, not a really a holiday in New England. They want the full on Disney experience. Walt Disney after whom the resort is named was a cartoonist.
Yeah I agree, you go to Disneyland to be surrounded by Disney, not real world themeing. More Disney themeing is needed in the hotels if you ask me...  :thumbs:
Previous DLP Trips
Hotel Santa Fe - 2002
Hotel Cheyenne - 2004
Sequoia Lodge - 2006
Newport bay - 2011

Sequoia Lodge - June 2013  
Checkout my Disneyland Paris blog! - //https://DLPMainStreet.blogspot.com

ed-uk

I go to Disney to escape the real world, it's ment to be a magical place. I can understand the Newport Bay Club has got a yaght-club theme, the sort of place we might find in Cape Cod, but this hotel is at a Disney resort so there has to be some compromise between fantasy and reality. I put the emphasis on the name Disney and then it all makes sense.
Ed & David