Tangled (Disney 2010)

Started by Kristof, September 08, 2004, 01:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

I like the song, but you are right it is not a memorable song like, for example, the ones from Beauty and the Beast.

Disney already did some press screenings and the movie did get some really good reviews. It will be Disney's 50th feature animation and I think it is a bit sad that it will not be in traditional 2D animation. I do like CGI movies, but a hand drawn movie has more charme to me. Unfortunately Princess and the Frog wasn't very successful. It had definately a better story than most DremWorks movies, but it seems that people don't care about that anymore.

Nevertheless I can't wait to see the movie and hopefully it will be a success. Disney's Animation Studio really needs it.

DisneyPictures

Only a few more weeks! A lot of people have been asking to hear more of the music and to learn more about the villain in the film. Well you helped give a preview of the music (thank you by the way!), so here's a quick glance at Mother Gothel's character.

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-new ... er-gothel/

Tuvok

I've listened to the song several times now and it's growing on me. At first I didn't like the 'bouncing melody'. I'ts a very complicated melody, not one that will stick in your head the first time you hear it. I don't know how to discribe it, but the parts where they sing alone has many tone variations (high/low) in every line of the lyrics. Anyone know what I mean?

Anyway, I'm beginning to like it. On a few ocasions you can here the greatness of Menken's talent and those tipical 'grande' musical scores he did before for Disney. I'd love to hear more of the soundtrack (not only the songs, also the intrumental underscore soundtrack).
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

pussinboots

What I'm missing is that typical Menken tune — he tends to create a few simple but effective melodies for each film and weave them into the entire score to maximize earworm potential, it's hard to explain without the ability to hum, haha. There's a bit of "Colors of the Wind" in "If I Never Knew You" and a bit of both in "Just Around The Riverbend," and bits of all three in every other part of the score. You don't notice it, but it's there and it's why you're hearing the score in your head as you read this.
The score to I See the Light is understated to say the least. But we haven't heard any of the other songs yet, so the above might be in there nevertheless, obviously.

But I have to say I'm actually getting a little bit excited about this film. Nothing released so far hints at anything other than a confident storyline with interesting, funny characters and and an excellent score. I've only counted one borderline Dreamworks contemporary joke and it wasn't even a pop culture reference. The story (I will admit I've briefly glanced at a spoiler) seems interesting and naturally-flowing — quite a contrast with the forced and contrived storyline of Princess and the Frog. Sure, they've failed to deliver the promised visual experience. But if the film is good otherwise, I won't complain.

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"What I'm missing is that typical Menken tune — he tends to create a few simple but effective melodies for each film and weave them into the entire score to maximize earworm potential, it's hard to explain without the ability to hum, haha.
Ooh I'm not sure. Listening to the song for the second time now, that first line comes back to me already. "All those days, watching from the windows" - and the notes are picked up later in the song around 1:45 as it moves over to Flynn. I can hum them now. It's very understated like you say, but it has potential.

Do we know how many songs there will be in total? *

What's most bizarre is that Disney have barely mentioned anywhere that Alan Menken is working on the soundtrack. Alan Menken!! I'd almost forgotten myself, but surely this is the biggest selling point - especially with Beauty and the Beast just out on Blu-ray (with lots of new featurettes celebrating himself and Howard Ashman). The marketing is so scared of this seeming anything like an awful dumbed-down Alpha & Omega-type CGI comedy it's painful.

* Edit: 5 (possibly 6?), with several reprises. Soundtrack listing:
[spoiler:d92jwd7l]1. When Will My Life Begin? Performed by Mandy Moore as "Rapunzel"
2. When Will My Life Begin? (Reprise 1) Performed by Mandy Moore as "Rapunzel"
3. Mother Knows Best Performed by Donna Murphy as "Mother Gothel"
4. When Will My Life Begin? (Reprise 2) Performed by Mandy Moore as "Rapunzel"
5. I've Got a Dream Performed by Brad Garrett as "Hook-Hand Thug," Jeffrey Tambor as "Big Nose Thug," Mandy Moore as "Rapunzel," Zachary Levi as "Flynn Rider" and Ensemble
6. Mother Knows Best (Reprise) Performed by Donna Murphy as "Mother Gothel"
7. I See the Light Performed by Mandy Moore as "Rapunzel" and Zachary Levi as "Flynn Rider"
8. Healing Incantation Performed by Mandy Moore as "Rapunzel"
9. Flynn Wanted Score
10. Prologue Songs and Score Performed by Donna Murphy as "Mother Gothel" and Delaney Stein as "Young Rapunzel"
11. Horse with No Rider Score
12. Escape Route Score
13. Campfire Score
14. Kingdom Dance Score
15. Waiting for the Lights Score
16. Return to Mother Score
17. Realization and Escape Score
18. The Tear Heals Score and Song Performed by Mandy Moore as "Rapunzel"
19. Kingdom Celebration Score
20. Something That I Want Performed by Grace Potter[/spoiler:d92jwd7l]

Tuvok

I've posted this video also in the christmas topic, but it's suitable here too. The first few minutes of the video features a small Tangled-show on Central Plaza Stage from this weekend where both Rapunzel and Flynn are singing 'I See The Light'. It ends with the illumination of the castle. Fantastic! If only they could add this 'show' to Disney Showtime Spectacular...

Click here to see the video of the press event of Disney's Enchanted Christmas 2010.
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

Columbiad

I like Mandy Moore's voice. Very differant to the other Princesses - she has a slight vibrato that just gives it a lovely fresh feel.

DisneyPictures

Hey Tuvok, thanks for posting that link! The video was pretty awesome. By the way, there were a couple of more photos recently released, if any of you are interested in checking them out you can see them here: http://media.movies.ign.com/media/180/1 ... mgs_1.html

Anthony

Soundtrack previews: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004B4LC3K (Amazon giving it away for $3.99?!)

And the first couple of reviews: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117943999?refcatid=31 http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review ... gled-42752

Somewhat predictable criticisms but quite promising.

pussinboots

Those reviews are the grouchiest I've encountered so far, although Variety has a policy to dedicate at least half of each review to nitpicking. Rotten Tomatoes gives a rosier picture.

I'd say it's looking very good. Let's hope the world agrees and gives Disney back some confidence in fairy tale-based films.

peep

I fear for this film regarding it's American release. Potter got released the weekend just gone, it did mental amounts of money at the box office. It'll keep getting mass audiences for weeks to come. Next weekend's big release...Tangled. Oh, Disney wave goodbye to having a successful animation this Winter.

It's almost like Disney plan their animation release dates around the biggest film releases of the year meaning the films get so over-shadowed it's silly. Why?
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

DisneyPictures

Disney fans, keep your head up! The film has also received some really positive reviews, like the one below. The premiere date is finally here! Go and give it your own review. I would love to hear it!

http://www.examiner.com/movie-in-los-an ... ies-review

Anthony

Wow, yes, now the reviews are really rolling in and they do sound great. A collection of quotes here: http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2010/ ... views.html

At least two saying "best since The Lion King"/"best in the last 15 years" for Disney. So now it becomes all the more painful that some of us (no doubt due to a certain tired wizard) have to wait until the end of January.

dagobert

I can't wait to see the movie. The UK release is in January? Why do you have to wait until January while it was already released in the US? In Europe, at least in Austria and Germany, the movie starts in two weeks.

It's good to read so many great reviews. Hopefully the movie will be a financial success as well.

Anthony

Quote from: "dagobert"The UK release is in January? Why do you have to wait until January while it was already released in the US? In Europe, at least in Austria and Germany, the movie starts in two weeks.
Over here Disney only ever seem to release animations a week or so before school holidays, in this case it'll be February half term. The same happened with Princess and the Frog last year (or this year). It makes sense, Tangled would unfortunately get very lost here between the hype for Harry Potter and Tron. I guess even the possibility of Christmas merchandise sales doesn't convince them.