Mickey's not so scary Halloween Rip Off?

Started by captain rocket, October 16, 2011, 09:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain rocket

Just back from DLRP and was really disapointed at the pathetic decorations in the park and the general lack of any effort compared to previous years. I won't be visiting for Halloween again until things improve.
I had never been for MNSSHP before, so thought it worth a try this year.
Here is the programme.
20.15,21.15,22.15 Minnies Pirate Halloween Party. A small overcrowdwd gathering opposite the Pirate Ship.
20.15 21.15 22.15 Huey Dewey & louies's Trick or Treat Party, again an over crowded event in the Castle Courtyard
23.15 The Disney Not So Scary Halloween Show on Central Plaza. One show at 23.15 with many parents leaving well before with over tired kids.
20-23h Meet and greet with Disney Characters which was surprisingly good with lots of characters available.
20-23hr Disney universe game preview, A cheap sales preview.
Candy Distribution after each show.
All of Fantasyland was open along with Pirates,Big Thunder and Phantom Manor.
There was no parade of any sort and I felt that the whole evening was basically Late Magic Hours extended by a few attractions. Cost of this evening was 25 euros.
I am just interested in wether other people think this was good value, I certainly did not, but perhaps I expected too much
and it has left me wondering if it is worthwhile trying the Bonfire Spectacular next year, or do you think DLRP may try to stage the event without a bonfire?

davewasbaloo

Hmmmm, that is very poor. We went to the main Halloween party a few years ago and that was good - fireworks, Anastasia  singing in Frontierland, lots of entertainment everywhere, DISCOveryland. The whole park was open except Storybookland, and it was a swinging party until 1am. But that was 10 years ago. I dread to think what it would be like now.

Sorry to hear it was so poor, though it does not surprise me. DLP used to be so awesome, now......
since 2001 (many before that)

DopeyDad

Our family went to the first MNNSHP this year, and compared to the last couple of years we have been to the same party, the entertainment was pretty much the same. Winnie the Pooh show swapped for Minnies and Merlins Academy swapped for huey et al. The entertainment was never a big draw for us and it felt roughly similar. Distinct lack of 'feel' in Frontierland compared with Halloweenland of previous years (I didn't like the plastic pumpkinmen props of before but I would have preferred some effort for Frontierland, I had hoped for a Nighmare Before Christmas overlay but that was expecting too much) The 'parade' previous years was nothing special (essentialy Cars and Stars from WDS with villains on them) but again I would have preferred some effort rather than just leave it blank. Also the end of night show was pretty much incomprehensible if you didn't have good French. We enjoyed ourselves but that's because we love DLP and MNSSHP gives the kids something different to the stay there, particularly when the opening hours were cut to 18.00 that week.
Value for money? I don't know, not as good as last few years and nowhere near as good as it could be.
Apart from the party and the dressed Castle Theatre stage you really wouldn't notice anything Halloween really, my wife was certainly disappointed although we did find the character interactions as excellent as always. But it's probably not enough to get us back for Halloween again at the moment. Maybe spring next time?

davewasbaloo

See, now this is a real shame. Although I am not a fan of the WDW parties, at least they give you a reason for forking out extra cash. These, not so much. That is a real shame.

littlemermaid83

Having not been to one the previous years it was hyped up to me that it was a excellent Halloween party, erm well It was great to meet characters and all but it didn't feel like a party at all. I was disapointed but will return next year as my child loves Halloween.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Angelgirl

DopeyDad, I completely agree with your post.

We were there on the 7th, and having been each year from the very 1st one in 2008, I felt it wasn't too much different as far as the entertainment went, but it just didn't seem to have any "Party" atmosphere to it compared to the other years.

I thought the show at the end was very poor, and seeing as it started later than scheduled, I wish we had of just gone back to our hotel rather than wait for it to finish.

On saying all this, my 2 girls thoroughly enjoyed themselves, and as we all love riding BTM in the dark, this was the only way were going to do this with the Park closing at 6pm  :-"

We had decided after the lack lustre feel this year, we will not be returning next Halloween (the first we will have missed since 2007). Then when we looked at the new brochure the other day, you start to think "ooh, should we?" and as my girls are both Jack & Sally mad it would be a pity not to go. We looked further through the brochure, and it made our decision for us... it would appear there are no MNSSHPs next year!! The only Event they are advertising is the Halloween Soiree on the 31st.

So Christmas season for us next year I think  :)

davewasbaloo

For those in the UK that want Halloween fun, may I recommend some alternatives:

Alton Towers has mazes, attractions in the dark and bring the Haunted House Duel to Life. And the Bon fire weekend, although the Halloween stuff is gone, they are the most amazing fireworks ever (better than DLP, DL, WDW, the Olympics and even when I was in London for Millennium eve). All included in the ticket price.

Legoland Windsor for Halloween had great halloween decorations and the theme changes every year. This year was Scooby Doo, and they had a themed fun house; a mad scientist workshop where we saw dry ice experiments and made goo; there was a scooby meet and greet, halloween building workshops (£2.50 a model to take home afterwards), and best of all the Scooby Doo fireworks (previous years we had Indiana Jones with a dig, and snakes/bug handling workshops). Again these fireworks are better than Disney and offered 3 weekends a year, as a part of the ticket price.

Chessington World of Adventures - three family fun mazes, rides in the dark, halloween themed kids puppet show, and a specially themed animal show, as well as this year having trick or treating and the headless horseman. All included in the day ticket price.

Hampton Court Palace was brought to life with actors and you could make an astronomical clock.

For more adult offerings - Thorpe Park, Port Aventura, Europa Park and Blackpool have excellent horror nights/fright nights.

I am so glad this is how we used our time this year. I kid you not, I would now rather go to DLP in summer where there is more on and it is less crowded than Halloween half term, and enjoy the delights of the UK parks for now. While many were disappointed at DLP this year, our expectations were more than exceeded at each of the events we went to (for comparison, I have spent Halloween at DLP 5 times over the years, DL 10 times and WDW once). the only Disney parks I would consider for Halloween now are HKDL or TDL.

davewasbaloo

Here are some links to pics:

Legoland Windsor Halloween:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... b860a81d7b

Halloween at Hampton Court:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 10efc6c4b7

Halloween at Chessington:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 2feef006ab

Fireworks for Bon Fire Night at Alton Towers:

http://www.facebook.com/dloydhearn?sk=p ... 997&type=1

And some home grown Halloween Fun -

Village Kids Party:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... fdba77baa1

Our house graveyard (can you see my tribute to Phantom Manor in the pumpkin?), trick or treating (we had over 100 kids come to our door) and Pinata fun:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... fcd37daee..

However, I must say, the terrorific event at WDSP sounded great this year.

Patrick89

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Our house graveyard (can you see my tribute to Phantom Manor in the pumpkin?), trick or treating (we had over 100 kids come to our door) and Pinata fun:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... fcd37daee..

I'd really like to see the PM tribute, but I do not have permission to view that album as we aren't friends at FB...Maybe you can unblock this album?  [-o<
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

davewasbaloo

How bizarre, it tells me it is a public link. I'll go and fix it.

Ok, it should be good to go.

Patrick89

Thanks, now it works! Good job, but watch out for the Phantom now...;)
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

davewasbaloo

Lol