Trip Report HNY 12-15 September 2011 :)* Part 2 added *

Started by Minne&Mickey92, October 12, 2011, 05:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minne&Mickey92

Finally i have a spare day to begin my report !!
DAY 1 PART 1!

Well 9 months after booking we finally set of on our DlP holiday , eager to get there we arrived at Birmingham airport at 6am but couldnt check in till 8:30 so we had a lovely breakfast at Frankie and Benny's. Finally we checked in and boarded our flight! I think it was around 11 when we got in to CDG airport and were impressed that our flybe flight actually took place on an airfrance plane so we got free hot drinks and snacks and very comfy seats :D Our bags actually beat us to the converbelt and we had to chase after them before they dissapeared again! we got the 11:30 VEA shuttle to the park and pulled up at hny at around 12:30 , not too bad all in all !

We checked in and the concierge kindly took all our bags away for us and told us he'd bring them up too our room when we collected the key later on ( we certainly felt spoilt at this hotel) Just as we were about to head to the park mickey and Goofy appeared in the foyer so we got a sneaky photo or 2 before they were mobbed by countless small children ! Now it really felt like we had arrived in disney !

We took a slow walk through the Village into WDS as Craig insisted we just HAD to ride TOT first ! there was a bit of a que when we got to it so we got a fast pass and filled the rest of the time wandering round and taking pictures :)

Hidden Mickey !!

Then we handed in our fast passes and 10 mins later we'd ridden TOT as always awesome ride ! we walked straight to RR but when we were just about to get into our carriage they evacuated the ride with no explanation :s very strange indeed so we decided to take a walk back to the hotel to check into our room! on the way back Craig finally surprised me with a MInnie Balloon ! i'd wanted one every time we'd visited ! However it was rather windy the first day so trying to get a decent photo of me with it was rather challenging !

So anyway we got back to the hotel and headed up to our room which couldn't have been more of a pleasant surprise!! There were rose petals and balloons all over both beds and a little letter with Happy Anniversary on it for us ! and a complimentary bottle of water with a letter attached thanking us for our booking, our view was perfect and our room was right down the centre of the hotel on the 7th floor ! This made all the difference as we'd had no end of problems before we arrived first with receiving no confirmation , then finding they'd booked the wrong room when we'd payed for lakeside and trying to make us pay the difference when it was the travel agents/disney's mistake but our perseverance had paid off and we couldn't have commended DLP more highly our room was beyond perfect for us ! and within seconds of us getting to the room our bags arrived at the door! Brilliant!

It was getting to late afternoon by this point so we headed into Disneyland Park ! Felt like home as soon as we walked in and saw the castle, the paint job really has made the world of difference and it was truly breathtaking!

We wandered round for a while and went on space mountain and the indiana Jones ride i think , by this point we were both knackered and it all sort of blurred into one , so we left at about 6 and went back to the hotel to make a reservation for the manhattan restaurant and have a little nap before dinner :)

and look what we found our beds like ! a little chocolate and the quilt turned down ^^ a lovely touch :)

To be continued in part 2....

Annet

How nice that they paid attention to your anniversary like that!

I don't know if it's just me, but when I click your photo-links it says the page doesn't exist.

Minne&Mickey92

ahh , ok i thought there was a chance i'd done them wrong , ill fix them so they actually visible as images on the report when i get home from work :)

and yeah it was a lovely surprise we brought one of the balloons back with us deflated and put some of the rose petals in a book to dry and keep :)

kiki_304

Great report so far.

Looking forward to reading the rest and checking out your pictures.

bethella

Im glad you mentioned the flights as i noticed today on our flybe plane tickets it says 'operated by air france'  i thought i was going loopy! i shall be made up if we get an air france as i hate flying and wasnt looking forward to the little propeller flybe plane :)
2003 Santa Fe
2005 Walt disney florida
2011 October Santa Fe

Minne&Mickey92

yeah we had airfrance on the way there , always lovely to fly with and we had a fairly large flybe plane on the way back but it was half empty to be honest ! so comfortable flights there and back :)

norhel

Nice report :-)
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

SophieD

The view from your hotel room is amazing!! So lovely that they did all that for your anniversary!! Can't wait to read more  :D  :D
Sophie \":nemo:\"
xxxxx
follow me on Twitter!!

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.- Walt Disney

bethella

Thanks for that, you have reassured me about flying next week :)

Wish we were going to HNY now it looks fab!
2003 Santa Fe
2005 Walt disney florida
2011 October Santa Fe

MissDisneyisMagical

wow im so jealous of your room! wish it was my anniversary when we are going!
<center><embed src="http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/show.swf?message=Kirsty&font=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/fonts/plainn_lib.swf&glitter=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/glitters/glitter78.swf&clickURL=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/&type=0&clickLABEL=Glitter Text Maker&flashLABEL=Satisfaction.com&bevel=0&shadow=1&glow=1&blur=0&fade=0&blink=0&gb=2&ga=0.6&gi=0&gc=16210663&bb=2&bc=0&sb=7&sa=0.7&si=0&sc=0&blb=7&ls=0&fontsize=60&num=78" quality="best" wmode="

bethella

We stayed in santa fe for our honeymoon in 2003 and didnt get a thing off them!
2003 Santa Fe
2005 Walt disney florida
2011 October Santa Fe

Minne&Mickey92

DAY 1 PART 2

so, once we'd had a nap and got ourselves freshened up we headed down for our most anticipated restaurant visit , we'd been drooling over the manhattan restaurant images and menu since we booked HNY and couldn't wait to eat there...
However we were a little disappointed and probably would visit again. Don't get me wrong the restaurant is beautiful and there was a live pianist playing on the grand piano and there was a nice atmosphere to the place , but our food just wasn't as nice as expected.However we did feel that it was good value for money , we had half board vouchers and there was a specific menu for the plus grade vouchers and another set menu for 32 euro's meaning i only had to pay 1 euro extra for that and my boyfriend stuck to the plus menu with no extra charge:)

Good points
. value for money
.abiance
.lovely starters
. a mountain of bread on the table
.lovely service
.presentation of the food
. The scallops were very tasty indeed

Down side
.The main courses - in particular my sirloin steak which i paid extra for was pretty much unedible, when i asked for it rare the waitor seemed particularly shocked! , it look good at first glance but on closer inspection was tasteless and had grizzle running right through it , and was the most chewy steak i have ever eaten! Then My partners chicken was huge and well cooked but didnt have alot of flavour
.drink prices have soured since last year i had the same cocktail which was 7 euro's in 2010 and was 12 this time !
.we had to wait a very long time for food which we couldnt understand as the place was pretty much empty

Our advice is that if you've got half board vouchers go else where , as the choice isnt fantastic and the same food at the same price is much better at places such as cafe mickey, but despite the food we enjoyed our night there regardless and my blue lightening cocktail was delicious , so perhaps manhattan is best with the choice of the entire menu and not on a budget :)

Heres what the food looked like anyway

The scallops

The Caesar salad

The steak

The chicken

The waiter kindly took a picture of us in the restaurant :)

Afterwards we headed to the Disney Village for our favourite part of the night ! late night shopping :)
we love what they have done with the fashion boutique lots of tempting clothing and such like there!

Once it was almost midnight and the shops were shutting up we headed back to our room to treat ourselves to a drink each and some snacks from the mini bar (which had a great selection by the way! and the prices were similar to that of the shop if not the same). Then after a relaxed look over lake disney at night we headed off to sleep to prepare for our 6:30 start the next day :)

end of day 1 :)

Minne&Mickey92

DAY 2 PART 1

So bleary eyed i was up at 6:00 showered and ready by 7:15 our intended time to go to breakfast however after 3 attempts could manage to wake the other half so we didn't reach breakfast till around 7:45. Breakfast at disney hotels is always one of my favourite parts but HNY breakfast was in a league of its own!! we had breakfast in parkside diner this particular morning but the food was the same in all locations ! i love that hot food is included at breakfast with no extra charge and theres always plenty of it, cooked beautifully , they had all the normal continental bfast foods and more with the addition of hot chipolata sausages , scrambled egg , potatoes and gorgeous crispy bacon yuuuuuuummm, we were certainly set up for the day ahead and with camera in hand we headed off to the park for the EMH.

We arrived at about 8:45 and our timing was great as we managed to jump straight on to one of the horse drawn street cars , something we'd been eager to do on this visit.

After the short but very beautiful and peaceful trip down mainstreet to the castle in the streetcar we disembarked and headed off to go on BLLB :D we'd not done this ride before cos of the queues but this early in the morning we strolled straight on and had a ball of a time, we even came away with our ride photo! (to be uploaded shortly) i mainly wanted the pic to rub it in to Craig that id beaten him ! (this is a rare and frustrating occurrence for him ) :P Then we decided to head for space mountain which was awesome as usual and we rode it twice as there was no wait at all :)

Then as we'd been in the park a while we decided to have some popcorn too keep us going till lunch , the stand had just open and we had the first popcorn of the day from it, we both agreed that this popcorn was the nicest we'd ever eaten it was warm and soooooo sweet yum yum :p Love the cute mickey boxes too ! it matched craigs tshirt !

Right then it was off to adventure land to explore and hunt for the new genie's lamp:)

Hidden Mickey by the lamp!

Once we'd had enough off wandering we headed to fantasyland to do some of the classic attractions that we'd missed on our last visit. First instore was Snow white and pinnochio plus a few other classic photo moments, but uh oh camera battery light flashing ! forgot to charge it the night before so we decided to keep photo's minimal then when it finally died head back to the hotel to charge it and go for lunch in the village whilst we were waiting for it.

Hidden mickey in the painting

pinnochio hidden glass mickey

So it was time to head back to the hotel charge my camera an have some lunch and look who was waiting for us in the lobby ! :)

To be continued in part 2...

Angel_Ariel

Fab trip reort! We stayed in the HNY in january and it was lovely!
~*~ Newport Bay ~*~ March 2008
~*~Sequoia Lodge ~*~ January 2009
~*~Santa Fe ~*~ January 2010
~*~Hotel New York ~*~ January 2011
~*~Explorer's Hotel ~*~ October 2011
~*~Newport Bay ~*~ August 2012
~*~Kyriad Hotel ~*~ August 2013
~*~Cheyenne Hotel ~*~ December 2014

junglebaggie

Great report, I love the Hotel New York and have stayed there many times, in my mind the best Disney hotel!!  Look forward to reading more of your report.