Philharmagic in Paris?

Started by mdw, June 10, 2011, 09:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdw

hi, ive just returned from my 1st trip to DLP and I was pleasantly surprised how similar it was to WDW. They have similar rides and lay out. In my opinion I think they should build a 'philharmagic' attraction similar to the one in WDW. Anyone know if this is in future plans at all? The attraction in WDW is a fantastic 3D smellovision show for all ages!

michelle

davewasbaloo

I really hope not. I would rather see Muppetvision or It's Tough to be a Bug. But there were plans for the studios at one stage, but I believe that has been put on the back shelf. I really think the animation of Phil is poor and am tired of toons everywhere.. But it is in 3 parks now - MK, Hong Kong Disneyland, and now Tokyo Disneyland, so you never know.
since 2001 (many before that)

mdw

'tough to be a bug' would be really good too! something along those lines.

davewasbaloo

If you like 3D Michelle, you may be pleased to know LG have been making it more affordable, and Sony just announced a budget range of 3D TV's. Playing PS3 Games and watching SKY 3D as well as 3D Bluerays, coupled with the fact that cinemas in most towns now have 3D films, made me wonder whether Disney will no longer make 3D theate presentations (unless it is a part of the attraction like Star Tours the Adventure Continues in WDW and DL.

What I loved about ITTBAB and Muppet Vision are the audio animatronics that enhance the attraction, in fact when I was a boy, they would have been all AAs in the theatre and no 3D. That would really be my preference.

littlemermaid83

I love philarmagic, but hands down MuppetsVision would be my number 1 choice.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

dagobert

In my opinion Disney shouldn't do any 3D attraction. It's nothing special anymore. Nearly every cinema offers 3D now. My local cinema even offers 3D and seats that move with the action. It's like being in a simulator, but you get to see current blockbusters instead of original made movies. I didn't experience yet, but my brother liked it a lot when watching POTC.

But I have to admit that I liked Philharmagic and MuppetVision 3D at WDW. If such an attraction would come, I would also prefere the Muppets for WDS and not Philharmagic for DLP.

CafeFantasia

Yeah, I agree with you Dagobert. The unique appeal of a 3D film attraction is sort of lost now, given that 3D cinema is really common. It's nothing special anymore. It used to be like, wow, there's a film at Disneyland that's actually in 3D! But now it's like, there's a film at Disneyland, so what?

So the question is, will Disney make any new 3D film attractions? Was PhilharMagic the last of its kind?

When I first saw PhilharMagic in 2005, I loved it. But the attraction opened in 2003. It's almost 8 years old already! So I think, if Disney are going to build PhilharMagic again (such as in Paris) they really need to improve the technology. That said, they did switch to a digital projection system at the Magic Kingdom in early 2009. But they could still do with making ALL the screens 3D, not just the one in the middle. And they could also do with improving the CGI, bringing it up to Tangled standards. PhilharMagic's CGI was pretty innovative back in 2003, as it was the first time people had seen the traditional hand-drawn Disney characters in CGI form. But, if you compare it to Tangled, its kind of weak.

I really like MuppetVision 3D. It's pretty timeless. But it wouldn't work well in Paris. There's too much dialogue, and a lot of the laughs would get lost in translation. PhilharMagic makes total sense in Paris because it's primarily a musical. Sure, there's lots of singing, but you don't have to understand the lyrics to be moved by the songs.

dagobert

I didn't think about the translation of Muppets, so if it would come they need to offer an English and a French version.

I also like Philharmagic, but I don't want to see it in the Disneyland Park. I like Animagique and I don't want to see it replaced, especially not by another dated attraction. Like you have said, it's 8 years old and current 3D productions are a lot better.

davewasbaloo

When you can buy a 3D TV and a Blueray Player for less than the cost of a weekend at DLP, then there is the business case for not producing 3D movies on their own. The reason Muppetvision and ITTBAB work is because they are multi media AA attractions. Phil is just poor IMHO - poor animation and a lazy string of clips from the films. At least Animagique uses Blacklight puppets which is not an every day media. I can watch Disney toons in 3D at home.

CafeFantasia

Just to recap, Disney have created seven 3-D film attractions for their parks over the past 29 years:

• Magic Journeys (1982)
• Captain EO (1986)
• Jim Henson's Muppet*Vision 3D (1991)
• Honey, I Shrunk the Audience! (1994)
• It's Tough To Be A Bug! (1998)
• The Magic Lamp Theater (2001)
• Mickey's PhilharMagic (2003)

davewasbaloo

Yep, and I would argue, that unless it is a part of the experience like Star Tours the adventure continues, Phil should be the last and should never come to Paris.

dagobert

Honestly I don't think a 3D movie will come to Paris. That would mean they have to build a new building, because Phil wouldn't fit into Discoveryland and Animagique is still too popular to replace it. At WDS the focus is clearly on a dark ride.

littlemermaid83

The best 3D I have seen was in Muppetvision. Things actually popped out at you in the screen instead of just having the screen enchanced.

Most 3D movies I have seen don't do this, Toy Story 3 was better in 2D than 3D, the same for POCT4, Tangled's lantern scene would be the only reason to see the film in 3D and so on.

So to say Disney shouldn't do 3D attractions I find hilarious. Get rid of Captain EO and move in Muppetvision. I know its not themed to Discoveryland but hardly anything is these days. (Here come the flames)
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

peter

It know needs to be in 4d, and in my view they should make a new show