Big Thunder Mountain incident (25/04/11)

Started by Kristof, April 25, 2011, 06:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlemermaid83

Can I just add there is some link going around on Facebook saying if you like and click the link its a video of the accident.  I just want to remind people that they shouldn't click on these sorts of things as its more likely a virus or a survey scam.

This has not put me off riding BTM in October with my Daughter. I hope the man in hospital makes a full recovery.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

peter

The daily mail one was rubbish. Since when was the park 20 last year!!!!

SM:M3

Quote from: "peter"...i was at thorpe park last july and one of the coaster trains had derailed from the track when it was looping, yet after 20 minutes they started running as if nothing had happened!!!

Don't post BS like that, its not funny  :|

Anyway, this is obviously terrible and I hope the man recovers, with conflicting reports it hard to know how serious this actually is.

peter

Quote from: "SM:M3"
Quote from: "peter"...i was at thorpe park last july and one of the coaster trains had derailed from the track when it was looping, yet after 20 minutes they started running as if nothing had happened!!!

Anyway, this is obviously terrible and I hope the man recovers, with conflicting reports it hard to know how serious this actually is.

I'm not kidding!! When we asked afterwards, they told us one of the braking pads had malfunctioned and pushed one of the wheels out of place

I don't lie about things like that, and I don't appreciate being told that I'm lying

Martyn

I hope everyone recovers quickly.

And I also hope they dont remove this feature from the ride, it is great, and always seems to get the little ones scared!

(are they really going to be repainting the mountain again? Wasn't it only done a couple of years ago?)

Anthony

Quote from: "Martyn"(are they really going to be repainting the mountain again? Wasn't it only done a couple of years ago?)
It was last painted from 26th August to 13th October 2006 (here's an article from then), but they missed out the "Rainbow Arch". This time it's meant to cover everything.

SM:M3

Quote from: "peter"
Quote from: "SM:M3"

I'm not kidding!! When we asked afterwards, they told us one of the braking pads had malfunctioned and pushed one of the wheels out of place

I don't lie about things like that, and I don't appreciate being told that I'm lying

A rollercoaster "derails" if the axle fails (see Expedition Geforce), causing the wheels to leave the track completely, if you've seen a coaster wheel assembly, you'll see they can't just 'derail' or be pushed out of place. Also, no trim brakes would be placed on an inversion, magnetic or friction. Anyway were going way off topic now and this is far less important than what has happened.

gldc

This was also briefly mentioned in Tuesday's metro (london)

Im guessin the attraction was still closed today as it is still so soon?
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

-breeno-

Quote from: "gldc"This was also briefly mentioned in Tuesday's metro (london)

Im guessin the attraction was still closed today as it is still so soon?
Big Thunder Mountain won't be reopened until after its scheduled refurbishment, read more about it here.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

peter

i thought they might do this, but will they be allowed to paint it while the investigation goes on? especially because its the police who are investigating.

when you think of it, the park has had no incidents like this EVER, so unfortunately it was just a matter of time.

lynny

you know what sh** happens,no matter how much health and safety procedures are in place who knows what lies ahead.everytime we ride anything at disney or any other park who knows what will happen.we all expect to be safe,same as driving a car,taken a train or aeroplane but who knows.it's just one of those things.if someone is to blame for the accident it will be sorted and i'm sure disney  put in 100% to making sure nothing like this happens again.
hope all involved are recovering well.xx
HOTEL CHEYANNE JUNE 2000
HOTEL NEW YORK HALLOWEEN 2006
HOTEL NEW YORK HALLOWEEN 2007
HOTEL NEW YORK EMPIRE STATE CLUB CHRISTMAS 2008
HOTEL NEW YORK EMPIRE STATE CLUB HALLOWEEN 2009
HOTEL NEW YORK EMPIRE STATE CLUB HALLOWEEN 2010
HOTEL NEW YORK LAKE VIEW HALLOWEEN 2011
HOTEL NEW YORK UPGRADED TO LAKE VIEW MAY 2013

dagobert

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "dagobert"Here's a picture of BTM:

http://www.disneygazette.fr/rehabilitat ... s-505.html

Good Job. That industrial-strength plastic tape should stop any runaway locomotives from entering  8)

Josh

But isn't that the tunnel that takes the train back to the mainland? Why is that blocked off?
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

peter

Maybe it's to make sure when they paint the mountain, no workers stray in to it, perhaps it's health and safety