Big Thunder Mountain incident (25/04/11)

Started by Kristof, April 25, 2011, 06:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Quote from: "mehdi5"Heard over at themepark.nl that they read on twitter that the ride will remain closed for three months. Haven't found a link yet.
Here's probably the source of that but as ford prefect says, I wouldn't read much into it.

-breeno-

Terrible news to hear, but the important thing no one is in a life threating condition.  My thoughts are with the injured people involved and I hope they all make a full recovery.  As for the closure I can't see it being 3 months, but as said this will mean everything is going to have be checked and rechecked, possibly for all attractions in the park too? (but not in as big as scale as BTM)

Just wait and see tomorrow's tabloids blowing this way out of proportion tomorrow in their papers, "Terror in the Happiest place on Earth" etc making headlines :?
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

disneyparkfans

This news really concerned me, as i have family visiting Disneyland Paris at the moment. My prayers go to the man in Hospital and his family. Disney should be ashamed of themselves.
"When You Wish Upon A star, Make No difference who you are!"................."It`s Just like We Dreamed it!"

Come on a magical journey with us, at disneyparkfans.webs.com!

peter

Quote from: "disneyparkfans"This news really concerned me, as i have family visiting Disneyland Paris at the moment. My prayers go to the man in Hospital and his family. Disney should be ashamed of themselves.

i don't think that is fair, for guest safety, dlp has had the least incidents out of all disney parks, and chances are this had nothing to do with something disney has done.

compare the number of incidents at dlp to the number at disneyworld and you will see. only a couple of years ago, disneyworlds BTM derailed, that put a couple of people into COMAS.

besides, now is not the time to point and blame, now is the time for us to hope this man survives.

smurfy74

i expect the man will be ok - over on micechat a certain member ( ex member on here and fan of tokyo ) is already slating the upkeep of attractions in Paris and saying they will never have the effect working again! Im sure the man was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

Patrick

Quote from: "disneyparkfans"This news really concerned me, as i have family visiting Disneyland Paris at the moment. My prayers go to the man in Hospital and his family. Disney should be ashamed of themselves.

That is a little harsh, things like this happen all the time and human error does occur.  Sorry to say, but even in a Disney theme park problems do happen and Disneyland is not always to blame for them.  As for BTM, I find it interesting that all these incidents seem to occur on them all over the world, Disneyland a few years ago and now this.  Obviously this being the minor of the incidents, for no one has died.  However in terms of theme park operations this is a minor problem that has injured one person majorly, though does not seem to be life threatening.  These things happen all the time and scenery will fail and have problems from time to time; it is the art of technology, it will not always function properly.  I hope he is well, but it is great to see Disney pulling along and making sure the family are also cared for.

On a more annoying note, I can see it now in tomorrow morning's Sun newspaper when I visit the supermarket: 'Man near fatal injury in EuroDisney', yes they will use EuroDisney I have no doubt and their sources will be un-credible, as is the art of the British tabloid, not exactly the image Disneyland Paris needs currently, but oh well tis the wonder of the British press.

alternativerock123

Oh, god.  I hope that everyone is going through a quick and healthy recovery.  :)

Hopefully DLRP will get things fixed so the ride is once again safe.
31st Aug - 1st Sept 2010 = Kyriad Torcy (First Time <3)
11th - 14th July 2011 = New York Hotel
2nd - 4th Aug 2011 = Kyriad Torcy
31st Oct 2011 = Day Trip
13th March 2012 (Disneyland Cal)
10th - 13th April 2012= Hotel L'Elysée
30th May - 1st June 2012 = Hotel L'Elysée
31st Oct - 1st Nov 2012 = Residence Prestige
18th - 20th July 2013 - Residence Prestige
9th -11th Nov 2013 = Hotel L'Elysée (First Christmas Trip!)
Coming soon:
29th April - 1st May = Hipark Serris.

DutchBrit

Quote from: "Patrick"
Quote from: "disneyparkfans"On a more annoying note, I can see it now in tomorrow morning's Sun newspaper when I visit the supermarket: 'Man near fatal injury in EuroDisney', yes they will use EuroDisney I have no doubt and their sources will be un-credible, as is the art of the British tabloid, not exactly the image Disneyland Paris needs currently, but oh well tis the wonder of the British press.

Perhaps the fact that the only British paper who seems to have picked this up is the Telegraph will comfort you. I'm assuming that the people involved were not British, in which case the tabloids won't be all that bothered. :?

Accidents happen in all public places. Sad, but true. Hope the people involved in this one get well soon and the problem can be fixed quickly.

lil-shawn

I hope everyone will recover very soon.

it was just a matter of time that something like this will happen, its all about maintaining.
Disney World didnt refurb attractions for years and bad incident happend, but most happend
because of the bad health, the people have. I hope this will bring the management to think and
spend more money on maintenance. my safty is more important than new attractions or being sad
attractions will be closed on my visit..

ford prefect

Quote from: "lil-shawn"I hope everyone will recover very soon.

it was just a matter of time that something like this will happen, its all about maintaining.
Disney World didnt refurb attractions for years and bad incident happend, but most happend
because of the bad health, the people have. I hope this will bring the management to think and
spend more money on maintenance. my safty is more important than new attractions or being sad

Well said
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

johnd331

Quoteit was just a matter of time that something like this will happen, its all about maintaining.

I guess it is still far to early to blame it on anybody. You know, sometimes sh*t just happens, no matter how well you try to avoid it. A prop failed and hit the train, that should never have happened, so it is clearly the responsibility of the park operator, but if it was neglect or just a case of bad luck remains to be seen.

You're probably refering to the BTM incident in 2003, that was in Anaheim and not in Walt Disney World by the way. In that specific case, Disney admitted they performed improper maintenance. That's not the same as not refurbing an attraction for years.

gingajen

This is quite a shock, especially since we were there this weekend- not Monday though. It is much too soon to tell what actually happened, but accidents happen. I very much doubt this is due to negligence on DLP's part since their reputation is very important to them and shoddy safety reports would be very damaging to them.
While we were there RnRc broke down for about 30-40mins, the staff were very thorough in their safety checks even though alot of guests were moaning after about 10 minutes of empty cars being sent round the track. I was impressed with them.
I hope the man recovers well and that DLP quickly get to the cause of the acident and sort it out quickly.

pussinboots

These things happen. You can't have a park full of fast-moving rides and other physicalities without someone getting hurt every now and then, no matter how tight your health & safety procedures are. People who expect to live in a risk-free world have fallen prey to the bizarre modern-age notion that corporations control the universe. They don't. Gravity still wins from United Airlines every so often, winter still manages to beat the railway companies a few days per year and Disney still hasn't got a hold on all the many elements that try to loosen the nuts and bolts holding up the props hanging over its guests.

peter

things like this do happen, and considering it has been open year round since 1992, the relatively low number of incidents should be congratulated.

if you think about it, at least dlp does think about safety. i was at thorpe park last july and one of the coaster trains had derailed from the track when it was looping, yet after 20 minutes they started running as if nothing had happened!!!

Anthony

A few of those media reports:

[youtube:5m71kpd5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2AYqsSgLLQ[/youtube:5m71kpd5]
Daily [strike:5m71kpd5]M[/strike:5m71kpd5]- Fail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/artic ... -ride.html First states the scenery fell onto the track then hit the train, then states it fell onto the carriage. Relates the Californian Big Thunder Mountain accident to Disney California Adventure.

Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ident.html

De Telegraaf: http://www.telegraaf.nl/buitenland/9625 ... _in__.html This must have been updated -- PhotosMagiques posted on Twitter earlier: "Dutch newspaper @telegraaf wrote this morning that Big Thunder Mountain collapsed and guests were struck by glass..."

Le Parisien: http://www.leparisien.fr/seine-et-marne ... 423560.php Talks about the fake boulder hitting the track after the passage of a first train?

Le Figaro: http://www.lefigaro.fr/societes/2011/04 ... bourse.php Useless article!

Also mentioned on the official Disney_ParisEN twitter account this morning: http://twitter.com/#!/Disney_ParisEN