Duffy the Disney Bear

Started by Malin, January 14, 2011, 11:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

I don't have a problem with the merchandise as I can just choose not to buy it. I don't like him as a character as I think he looks like any old bear you see in a shopping centre giving out flyers for a shop promotion. He's not a character made with much thought but one to catalyse the marketing of all the merchandise. This again I wouldn't have too much of a problem with if he wasn't so prominent. He's gate-crashed Mickey's meet and greet on Main ST and has his own float in the parade - which is the cheapest looking float they've possibly ever had. He's also part of the Tree Lighting Ceremony. I also have a problem with him being Mickey's bear yet he dwarfs Mickey. I know characters are never to scale, but this just looks more ridiculous than normal. I wouldn't have so much of a problem if he wasn't all of a sudden such a huge part of Disneyland Park, but he's everywhere and he's just a plain old teddy bear who doesn't really belong.

Buy hey, each to their own. For people that like him he's obviously a great new addition. For those of us who don't we'll have t learn to ignore him. At least Mickey will have his own meet and greet for the 20th Anniversary celebrations.
Dedicated to DLP - Celebrating Disneyland Paris

Hotel Santa Fe 07/05, 11/11 and 05/12
Hotel Cheyenne 07/02, 11/02, 07/04, 12/05, 07/06, 10/06, 10/07 and 09/10
Sequoia Lodge 12/03 - Honeymoon Suite
Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

ed-uk

Disney are hoping that people will part with their cash and buy one. I have to ask myself as an adult am I more likely to buy a Buzz Lightyear, Winnie the Pooh (even if they have been in films ) or a Duffy. I don't even mind him being in the Christmas section of the parade. He just replaces the toy soldier on the same float. Teddy bears, Christmas and children seem to go together. And for adults too.
Ed & David

Elaine

Quote from: "ed-uk"Disney are hoping that people will part with their cash and buy one.
I have to ask myself as an adult am I more likely to buy a Buzz Lightyear, Winnie the Pooh (even if they have been in films ) or a Duffy. I don't even mind him being in the Christmas section of the parade. He just replaces the toy soldier on the same float. Teddy bears, Christmas and children seem to go together. And for adults too.

that would an easy choice for me - Buzz  :D  :D !

ed-uk

Ok, I must admit I do have a few Disney beanies, well quite alot actually, but I was knee high to a grasshopper when I started collecting them. I have stopped, but if Disney release a Duffy beanie maybe I'll get one.
Ed & David

Reiana

Duffy or Buzz Lightyear? Easy. Both. My daugther wanted a Duffy in a Buzz Lightyear costume  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Now she has Duff as Buzz and a "Build a Bear" bunny as Jessie.

Disneyholic

I met Duffy in Disneyland Hong Kong last week we fell in LOVE with him he was sooooo very cute and made a real fuss of my 5 & 7 year olds. We ended up leaving Hong Kong with a Duffy each in hand and a few outfits for him. Yes expensive but we love him. We saw a few Shellie May's from Japanese tourists around Hong Kong and we cant wait to get our hands on her too.
We look forward to meeting Duffy in Disneyland Paris next weekend. =D>

Disneyholic

Quote from: "Reiana"Duffy or Buzz Lightyear? Easy. Both. My daugther wanted a Duffy in a Buzz Lightyear costume  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Now she has Duff as Buzz and a "Build a Bear" bunny as Jessie.

Yes we got my son's Duffy a Buzz and a Woody outfit.... Duffy is just soooooo cute xox

duffy

I personally love Duffy (obviously!), and whilst I understand people don't like the fact that he's everywhere in DLP right now (but I doubt that will last, he's just being pushed because he's brand new and of course DLP want to get the knowledge of him out there to everyone, it will soon die down) I don't understand people's upset over the fact that he isn't in any movies or anything, as that's the aspect of him that I really like. To me, him being a park only character suits his voyaging nature and makes him even more special in lots of ways, and I love the exclusive feel it gives to the character that he's only available in the parks and only people that have visited know who he is.

I've not yet had the chance to visit Duffy in Paris, but I've seen him in both Tokyo and California. His reception wasn't great in California from what I could tell, I had many people asking why I was carrying a teddy bear around and he was often alone on his meet and greet spot (but I hardly cared, as it meant I got to spend more time with him!). So I'm glad that he seems to be fairly popular in DLP from the sounds of it :)

I'm glad I bought my Duffy in the US though, I paid about $30, which is about £20/€23 which feels like a fair price, €30 is too much. Outfits in the US are also $15 which works out significantly cheaper too. Personally I believe he should be priced more around the €20-€25 margin, with the outfits being around €10. He is a very high quality plushie compared to any others I ever bought at a Disney park though, so there is that.

sebassah

Quote from: "PirateSteve"I don't have a problem with the merchandise as I can just choose not to buy it. I don't like him as a character as I think he looks like any old bear you see in a shopping centre giving out flyers for a shop promotion. He's not a character made with much thought but one to catalyse the marketing of all the merchandise. This again I wouldn't have too much of a problem with if he wasn't so prominent. He's gate-crashed Mickey's meet and greet on Main ST and has his own float in the parade - which is the cheapest looking float they've possibly ever had.

I so agree with you on this. I think its a clever merch/ moneymaking idea but al the above turns it into a big disappointment. Hoe ever if he turns out to be a huge success and helps DLRP to build new (NON DUFFY) rides: who am I to comeplain?

hawian rollercoaster

Anyone got any pics yet of duffy with his salior suit at the town house and is this like xmas where mickey comes out with duffy.

Herc Fan

Quote from: "hawian rollercoaster"Anyone got any pics yet of duffy with his salior suit at the town house and is this like xmas where mickey comes out with duffy.

I took this picture of Duffy with Mickey last wednesday. :)

hawian rollercoaster

Thanks my daughter is really chuffed with that.

Herc Fan

Quote from: "hawian rollercoaster"Thanks my daughter is really chuffed with that.

Glad I could help! :thumbs:

littlemermaid83

So Duffy is officially here to stay and isn't just someone you can meet at Christmas?

I'm guessing that when Mickey moves to his new Meet and greet area this will become Duffys official area.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Scissorsboi

Can somebody please explain to me how Duffy is taller than Mickey, if in all of the pictures of his story Mickey is seen holding him as an actual teddy size? I have no real problem with him in context, but little things like this just show him back up as the merchandising tool that he really is.
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.