Ratatouille invades Manhattan Restaurant (Has now retreated)

Started by Festival Disney, January 11, 2011, 08:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRogue

Quote from: "pussinboots"If they so needed to up the character quota, they could have picked Mickey Mouse or any other character who could at the very least pass for American, never mind New York. Mickey's 5th Avenue something something. Donald's Deli. Clarabelle Cow's Coffee 'N' Cookie Corner (she's made a real comeback that girl), Minnie's a-Muffins; slap a handful of Big Apple puns on it and you're done.

Those would be great ideas... for Parkside Diner. But I feel that Manhattan Restaurant needs something slightly more sophisticated, which Remy manages to represent in my eyes. Apart from the superficial setting, Ratatouille never struck me as a very French movie. And as the hotel themes never were that literal, I feel that, as long as it manages to marry the feel of an Art Deco metropolitan setting with Rats Doing Fine Cuisine, it really isn't all that jarring.

That said, anything beyond those frames I have yet to see and to judge...

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "ford prefect"Hi, Davewasbaloo

I agree (as always) that Disney should not just be about 'Toons.  

Manhatten used to  be mine and Sarah's favourite restaurant.  We used to eat there every trip, the food and service was exemplary.  

When it became a "mediterranean buffet" and then an italian restaurant I stopped going.

If this change triggered a return to the high quality (franco-american) menu standards of 2004 and before, there is a continuation of the art theming, and it increases footfall in the restaurant then that is all to the good.

DLP currently has only 1 top quality table service restaurant and it desperately needs another location where the food is the attraction!

Failing that I can't see that Disney would have any alternative but to shut the restaurant for all except breakfasts.

It is a big if on the food quality. Agreed, once upon a time the DLH - California Grill, HNY - Manhatten Grill, SL - Hunter's Grill, NBC - Yacht Club as well as the Steakhouse all offered a high end dining experience. But with the buffets and voucher scheme, we sadly have 1 - the California Grill (maybe 2 if you count the Steakhouse, which has been dumbed down).

It would be lovely if they returned the finery that was at the Manhatten Grill (a once upon a time best value restaurant). How I miss that (and the Jazz Club from the first few years).

It is sad to think there were 14 good quality restaurants on our rotation even just 10 years ago (let alone back in 1992, when it was 16). Now there are 5 restaurants our family consider. It is a shame. The good news is Val D Europe has a good number of restaurants now.
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

The food is indeed a huge disappointment at DLRP. Our favorite restaurants have been Walt's and Auberge de Cendrillon, because the food was really good, the service was excellent and the theming was great, but unfortunately the quality of the food droped at Walt's and Auberge is now a character restaurant.

France is known for good food, but DLRP seems not to care about that. I have never experienced any of the hotel restaurants, but it seems according to davewasbaloo, the quality dropped there as well.

At the moment our favorite restaurant is Agrabah Cafe, despite being a buffet. I don't like buffets, because there goes so much food into the garbage. Agrabah Cafe offers really good oriental food and salads and it is never overcrowded like other buffet restaurants, maybe because people don't want to try new food they perhaps don't know.

I always compare DLRP's food with WDW. We enjoyed eating there, because the CMs prepared special vegetarian meals for us. Don't ask in Paris, because the restaurant manager gets mad at you. According to our Amierican friends the qulity dropped there as well, since Disney introduced the Dining Plan, nevertheless the whole experience (Food, service, CM) is so much better than in Paris. Even the fast food isn't good in Paris, but I do like the vegetarian sandwiches, burgers and pizzas offered at DLRP.

We can just hope that DLRP will return what davewasbaloo described in his post above.

Sorry for being off topic. :offtopic:

Anthony

So what used to be on these walls? Did they replace anything?

Quote from: "Alan"• Fantasia 2000, Rhapsody in Blue" sequence
Yes! Although possibly not the marketable theme they would want.

Quote from: "ford prefect"There are lots of Paris themed restaurants in New York city, so since New York City (New Amstersdam)  can embrace european culture I don't see a problem.
True I suppose, but this is Hotel New York, not the city itself. This is a dumb example, but: I'm sure Hawaii has lots of McDonald's restaurants, but it doesn't mean Walt Disney World should have one at the Polynesian resort. You expect something a bit more quintessentially New York here, not a restaurant themed to Paris. What's the point of that?! I thought the point of these themed hotels was that the whole experience gives you a real sense and taste of a foreign location, not one of the hundreds of real French bistros just a short RER ride away. How much did they brainstorm before simply clicking "File > Print" on these?

I like pussinboots' idea of simply using Mickey Mouse, the ultimate American icon. How about producing some fitting original artworks showing Mickey and co. at various New York landmarks, similar to that Paris merchandise they sell in the parks but with a bit of period flair to it. These might be rather lovely posters, but it is incredibly lazy -- particularly after they were already used to spruce up Restaurant des Stars in the Studios.

Intrigued to see the rest of this mini makeover...

dagobert

Quote from: "Anthony"True I suppose, but this is Hotel New York, not the city itself. This is a dumb example, but: I'm sure Hawaii has lots of McDonald's restaurants, but it doesn't mean Walt Disney World should have one at the Polynesian resort. You expect something a bit more quintessentially New York here, not a restaurant themed to Paris. What's the point of that?! I thought the point of these themed hotels was that the whole experience gives you a real sense and taste of a foreign location, not one of the hundreds of real French bistros just a short RER ride away. How much did they brainstorm before simply clicking "File > Print" on these?

Intrigued to see the rest of this mini makeover...

Anthony, you made a very good point here. Paris is just 30 minutes away from DLRP and if you want to have a real Parisian restaurant, you should go to a real one in France. Disney designed everything at DLRP with the American culture in mind and so are the restaurants. In my opinion it doesn't make any sense to have a Parisian restaurant in a hotel based on New York City.

You brought up McD and I think there shouldn't even be one at the resort.

pussinboots

Quote from: "RiverRogue"Those would be great ideas... for Parkside Diner. But I feel that Manhattan Restaurant needs something slightly more sophisticated, which Remy manages to represent in my eyes. Apart from the superficial setting, Ratatouille never struck me as a very French movie. And as the hotel themes never were that literal, I feel that, as long as it manages to marry the feel of an Art Deco metropolitan setting with Rats Doing Fine Cuisine, it really isn't all that jarring.

That said, anything beyond those frames I have yet to see and to judge...

True, my suggestions were a little down-market... But that sort of classic character/pun combo surely allows for shoehorn more easily pried. I mean, art deco posters are one thing, but where to go from here? Will the restaurant retain its name? How would they justify that? Not at all and leave the whole thing alone? I hope so.

Anyway. I think you know what I'm going to say next. I think that, had this character crisis existed in the early '90s, they would have given just a little bit more leverage to authenticity or similar ambitions of a noble sort. They might have wanted to subtly introduce Europeans to something quintessentially Metropolitan, like the city's many Italian restaurants, the deli, or Delmonico's. (Delmickey's; there, you can have that one for free, Disney.) That Euro Disney is dead and therefore we weep.

Martyn

To be honest, the news of 'transfers' on the windows leads me to think this may be a temporary thing?

RiverRogue

Quote from: "pussinboots"Anyway. I think you know what I'm going to say next. I think that, had this character crisis existed in the early '90s, they would have given just a little bit more leverage to authenticity or similar ambitions of a noble sort.

In the first two or three years, maybe. After that we got Pocahontas Indian Village replacing the canoes (and as you probably know Pocahontas lived in the American East, almost 300 years before the time period of Frontierland).

I don't say I approve of this change. I just don't think it's particularly outrageous. Yeah, it's kind of sad that that counts as a positive reaction nowadays.... But frankly, having seen some of the projects that were narrowly avoided across the resort, this one is downright classy.

ed-uk

If you want the real New York hotel experience go to New York. If you want the Disney version of a New York hotel just outside Paris, don't be too surprised to find some pictures of a very popular Disney/ Pixar film in a restaurant in one of their resort hotels. Disney has always been about films and characters I thought. The roots of the Walt Disney company are in animation and film. Theme parks, animation it's the same company.
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

Ed - why do you always stick up for the mouse? Disney has not always been about the films and synergy, that really started less than  20 years ago. When Disneyland opened, tomorrowland, Main Street, and Adventureland had very few referrences to the films. same with Epcot in 1982. And even ED in 1992.

This is a disturbing trend. I am not really a Disney film fan, I am a Disney theme resort fan. There is a big difference.
since 2001 (many before that)

ed-uk

What is a Disney theme park? Don't Disney decide that. Dave, you say you're not really a Disney film fan. I think for many people the films and characters are part of the experience. People are going to Disneyland, it's Disney's version of the world outside Paris. They don't employ people to stand around dressed as characters for nothing. The parades and shows all have characters in them, the Tarzan show for example. They must be popular. There must be a demand for them. But not with you I know. I notice some people don't like the Disney pictures in the NY hotel restaurant because the theme is wrong and they're fom a Disney/ Pixar film,  so don't belong. But nothing is said about the meet n' greet area for Disney characters in the hotel foyer near the entrance to the restaurant. And Ratatouille does work in my opinion because Remy is a chef and he does work in a restaurant.
Ed & David

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Quote from: "ed-uk"... And Ratatouille does work in my opinion because Remy is a chief and he does work in a restaurant.
Sadly, it seems that was exactly the depth of thinking applied here :roll:

ed-uk

What do you mean depth of thinkiing applied here? If they can't change a few pictures over 20 years, and try something a little different. Best not touch anything then and keep it the same, I don't mind. I thought it showed some imagination, instead of more old pictures of New York. A picture of flowers maybe? The hotel is "Disney's Hotel New YorK" and Ratatouille is a Disney film.
Ed & David

DLP-Photos.com

You are correct that it is Disney's Hotel New York - it is Disney, but is certainly also New York. I agree with people that the New York pictures was great and I see no reason to remove them, just because they have been there for 20 years - if that is a reason to remove something many things should be removed. However, should they be replaced by Disney pictures/artwork why not use something with a New York style as mentioned by many others, instead of just using a random Disney/Pixar film... I've just got the "new" Imagineering book and as I see it this update as with many others break a lot of "Mickey's Ten Commandments" (Some guidelines(rules) to make high class themed entertainment):

- Organize the flow of people and ideas: Make sure there is logic and sequence in your stories, and in the way Guests experience them.

- Tell one story at a time: Stick to the story line; good stories are clear, logical and consistant

- Avoid contradictions - maintain identity: Details in design or content that contradict one another confuse an audience about your story or the time it takes place in.

These are just the three commandments that are ignored the most with this needless update. I am not saying you cannot change anything or that this update is a catastrophe. It is just another example of DLP-updates that breaks with the very ideas that made us all love Disneyland and consider it the highest quality within themed entertainment.
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

ed-uk

It isn't New York. When you go to the hotel again just take a look at the meet n' greet area for Disney characters in the hotel lobby near the entrance of the restaurant. And when you stay at that hotel look out of the window and see the great view of Disney village and lake Disney. it's a wonderful hotel, I love it. And it's in Disneyland Resort Paris, not New York. Have you ever been in the restaurant?
Ed & David