Rumour About Removing The Organ Of Disney & CO Boutique

Started by dagobert, December 30, 2010, 01:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

Dlp.info posted a rumour about replacing the organ of the Disney & CO boutique:

"According to the latest rumors the organ inside the Disney & Co. boutique is slated for complete removal in early 2011. The organ functions as the center piece of the small boutique's main room around which several cashiers have been placed. However, the organ has a mighty footprint that takes over a significant amount of space in the rather popular and accordingly crowded shop specialicing in plush and toys. While the rumors are not confirmed so far the huge size of the organ might have been what sealed its future..."

http://www.dlp.info/News/2010/12/no-organ-at-disney-co/

I think it would be sad if Disney would really remove the organ, but until now it is just a rumour and I hope that it will stay where it is.

While Disney is adding some nice little extra touches to the resort, for example Rapunzel's tower in Fantasyland, they are also removing them somewhere else.

By the way the article mentions that the organ of the Carousel de Lancelot was working in its early days but the mechanism was replaced by a recorded soundtrack. I didn't know that. It's really amazing how much former Imagineers cared about the details of DLRP.

RiverRogue

Let's say I wouldn't be surprised for this to happen. It would solve two problems for DLP: open up the very tight floor which can easily be overcrowded (a problem addressed at the Emporium a few years back) and potentially add retail shelf space.

That said, I'd be really sorry to see the organ go. Hopefully they'll find another good use for it (rather than stock it backstage or -- worse -- dismantle it).

Anthony

The shop is always a nightmare to navigate, I'm surprised anyone ever manages or even decides to buy anything in there. So sad as it might be to lose a unique prop, the shop might be better off for it. I really like the changes they made elsewhere at Boardwalk Candy Palace, for example (not so much The Emporium).

I wonder if it could be put to use at all in a certain new store opening in 2012, which doesn't have any such floorspace problems?

pussinboots

I can only agree. It's a wonderful store, stuffed with a level of detail that makes the Main Streets of other Disneylands look like Oxfam shops, but it's far too cramped. It takes about four people to create a gridlock in there. And surely I can't be the only person to forever come out completely disoriented on what I thought was the other end, muttering, "how did I get back on Main Street...?"

But I hope they'll resist the urge to paint it a lighter color in the wrong and misguided assumption that a white ceiling makes a place less claustrophobic, and I certainly hope they won't weasel out of real wallpaper and bring out another set of stencils. They didn't exactly improve on the Emporium that way.

I didn't know about the Carousel organ either, by the way. But hey, you can't tell anyway.

dagobert

I have never thought about the space, but you are right it can get very crowded in the store. So maybe it is good that they remove it. I can't remember when I was in this shop the last time. I always buy my merchandise in the studios or in the Disney Village where it is not so crowded like in the Main Street shops.

Hopefully the organ will be brought somewhere else and not dismanteled.

Disneyland Paris Treasures

I was at the Disney & Co. store last week and asked one of the Cast Members if this rumour is true and he or she (he or she told they are not allowed to tell something like this) confirmed, the organ will be removed soon to make more space. The CM did not know what will happen with the organ but he (or she?) knew that the gained space will partially be used to put there one of those large "Fill a box with Mr. Potatoe Head parts and buy it" stands!! What a trade...  :roll:

dagobert

Thanks for the information, Nicolai!!!

Oh yes, what a trade.

RiverRogue

Not quite what I heard... As far as I know there may well be a Mr Potato Head stand but it would not replace the organ... They're planning a quite extensive redo of the shop's floorplan and the removal of the organ would only be part of that.

The CM did not say they'd replace the organ with the Potato Head stand. The CM just said that the organ will indeed be removed, then explained me where the cashiers will be in the future and aside from some other info told me that also a Mr. Potato Head stand will be added. So the stand is not the replacement for the organ. But anyway, it is not that big of a difference, is it? The beautiful organ will be removed and an ugly Mr Potato Head stand will be added...

Martyn

Ugh, how vile.

The whole resort is loosing its original feel.

They'll soon be replacing Walts with a KFC.

davewasbaloo

It is very frustrating, they already sell the same rubbish everywhere else. Disney forgot they were in the themed entertainment business. And yet in Orlando they wonder why the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is getting all the attention.
since 2001 (many before that)

jeakat24

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"It is very frustrating, they already sell the same rubbish everywhere else. Disney forgot they were in the themed entertainment business. And yet in Orlando they wonder why the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is getting all the attention.

I couldn't have put it better myself!

I find that I end up looking around most of the shops purely because each of them have a distinctly different feel/ atmosphere to them. The more they try to generalise each store, the more likely it is that I'll end up going into just one shop on my trips.
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

dagobert

Quote from: "jeakat24"
Quote from: "davewasbaloo"It is very frustrating, they already sell the same rubbish everywhere else. Disney forgot they were in the themed entertainment business. And yet in Orlando they wonder why the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is getting all the attention.

I couldn't have put it better myself!

I find that I end up looking around most of the shops purely because each of them have a distinctly different feel/ atmosphere to them. The more they try to generalise each store, the more likely it is that I'll end up going into just one shop on my trips.

That's why we wait until the last day and then we buy our stuff at the Disney Store in DV. There they sell the same stuff like in every other shop around DLRP. During our first visits we brought every day a bag full of merchandise to our room.
Nevertheless we still like to stroll around the shops, but mainly due to the theming of the shops.

There is an advantage as well that they sell the same stuff in each shop. I don't spend so much money any more :D .

I don't get people who buy every cheap stuff they don't need just because it is from Disneyland. Okay sometimes I do that, too, but usually we just buy things we really like and want.

pussinboots

Exactly, it's good for your wallet. I too go in just for the decor nowadays. I really don't need an overlarge mug with a logo on it quite so much.

Can't wait to see the World of Disney store and not buy anything or have the least desire to!

Photo by InsideDLParis

Hate to say I told you so...  :(