"It's a Small World" maintenance worker dies

Started by gothprincess, October 08, 2010, 11:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gothprincess

A cleaner has drowned after falling in to the water and getting trapped under a boat.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11489229

davewasbaloo

Yep, sadly one of the many deaths in a Disney resort. They will do a review and change the procedures. My heart does go out to his family.
since 2001 (many before that)

gothprincess

That's terrible you'd think that one of the Happiest places on earth would be well safe.

davewasbaloo

It is still in the real world. There have been cast member deaths in all the resorts that I am aware of (except Hong Kong), as well as guest deaths too. Robberies, rapes, and other crimes take place. Pixie dust does not mean that the reality of life disappears.
since 2001 (many before that)

Soap

RIP.
Sadly it's true that it's all just the real world where joy and sadness goes hand in hand.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

GaryL

I read this on the news yesterday.

Shame that someone died (though technically they died in hospital and not on/near the ride) and hopefully this was just some freak accident.

Anthony

Very sad news, first to hear of an injury early in the day and then that his life couldn't be saved. Terrible.

Reports now state that the ride was "accidentally turned on" whilst being worked on. I still can't and don't actually want to imagine what happened here.

QuoteDisneyland Paris worker dies in apparent accident
(AP) – 2 days ago

PARIS — Police say a cleaning man at Disneyland Paris amusement park has died after a ride he was working was accidentally turned on.

The 53-year-old employee of a park subcontractor was severely injured while working on the "It's A Small World" attraction and taken by helicopter to a hospital where he died.

Police say a preliminary investigation indicates the worker got trapped beneath a boat on the ride when it was inadvertently turned on before dawn Wednesday.

A Disneyland Paris spokesman said the ride has been closed until further notice as the police investigation continues.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... =D9IMB1OO1

I think "it's a small world" is still closed today..?

SM:M3

Horrific news, although I'd imagine it was the crush injuries that killed him, each boat weighs roughly a ton. Although read this;

Can't say I'm shocked sadly. The same subcontractor was around when I worked there years ago and it was known they were a careless bunch of underpaid workers. To those who visited, you know the fast pass return sign for Space Mountain? We had to tie ropes and trash cans around the sign to avoid an accident where one of the subcontractor driving the street sweeper truck on the 3rd shift would rip out the sign AGAIN. We were hoping that if they hit a trash can, they'd stop instead of ripping out the signFrom member SpaceMTFan on Micechat

Aveen2008

Wow that's very sad, poor man. I am kind of shocked that there is enough room between the boat and the floor/rails for someone to even get caught under a boat because it doesnt look that deep at all (except maybe the outside part).
In fact my sister is afraid of water and would not go on the ride when she went to DLP a few years ago with her husband . My mum and I used to joke how it was so silly to be afraid of it because theres hardly any water really - obviously we were wrong :(
Luv Aveen xoxo

ford prefect

It doesn't have to be a lot, it is perfectly possible to drown in a couple of inches of water.  We must wait for the result of the investigation, however my sympathies to the family, friends and colleagues of this gentleman.
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

sebassah

All the best for his friends and fam. But in any way it remains a human mistake. Either he shouldnt been there at that time or the person who switched on the ride failed to follow startup procedures...

littlemermaid83

Gosh this explains why we couldnt get on the ride last Wed and Thurs.  So sad to hear this.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

th13teen

Yes Very sad indeed, Its a shame to see workers die all over the place in the theme park world now!