ElecTRONica - Coming to DCA this Fall

Started by alka1, September 02, 2010, 12:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisneyPictures

Have any of you had a chance to see the newest trailer yet? If not check it out, I'm excited to hear what you think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4RiUy23 ... r_embedded

DisneyPictures

Finally! Tron: Legacy is out in theaters! There are a ton of reviews out, but I'm excited to hear yours! What did you all think?

davewasbaloo

I just got back from the 11:30 am showing. It took 2.5 hours to get home (30 mile journey) thanks to the blizzard, but it was still worth it.

There were about 30 people in the theatre, which surprised me, but it was prime Christmas shopping time. My fujitsu friend, Mikey (7.5 years old, a year younger than I was when I saw the original) and I LOVED it. It was so awesome.

the Wizard of Oz pastiche, the design, the philosophy, the 80's and Star Wars references, I LOVED it all. I have not been this stoked about a Disney film since perhaps Tarzan. I loved it and cannot wait to see it again. It even made me shed a little tear.

Two thumbs way up, but I am sure it will be a love it or hate it film with very little in between. And it was great to see how Disney can still do masculine, even if it is rare these days. Also loved the look of the Narnia trailer and Gullivers Travels. PotC looks ok.

But the real wooooaaa for us was the Disney TRON castle in 3D, beautiful.
since 2001 (many before that)

DisneyPictures

Hey! I'm so glad that you loved the movie and the fact that it was in 3D! What did you think of the actors? Did Jeff Bridges (as Kevin and Clu) live up to your expectations?

davewasbaloo

I loved Jeff Bridges (always have) thought he was great including the little nods to "The Dude" in the Big Lebowski. However, I thought Michael Sheen was OTT, and not a huge fan. Bruce Boxleiter was great as were the new Sam and Quorra characters.
since 2001 (many before that)

CafeFantasia

Sorry to drag this discussion up again, but ElecTRONica would be a perfect addition to the Walt Disney Studios park. They could install it in the Backlot area, which would really liven up all that tarmac.

And since the majority of the music used in ElecTRONica is by Daft Punk (who are from Paris) it makes a lot of sense to bring that music back to France.

With the show closing at Disney California Adventure this Spring (Spring 2012), Disney could ship all the props and lighting rigs off to Paris. So, surely it wouldn't cost Disneyland Paris too much. It's a feasible idea.

[youtube:3b97rcym]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgIZrSlPuko&hd=1[/youtube:3b97rcym]

Anthony

But is Walt Disney Studios ready for a nighttime event like that? Could they justify keeping the park open until darkness falls for it? Don't forget it was only ever really planned as a World of Color pre-show/overflow event in California.

It could work in the far corner of Discoveryland, though! :-)

CafeFantasia

Good point Anthony. ElecTRONica was indeed designed to handle the World of Colour crowds. But I think bringing it to Paris is an interesting idea. Check out this excellent 23 minute video from the podcast Bringing Disneyland Home, which really gives you a feel for what it's like to be there:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/oakfan/BDHVOL54.m4v

It could work in the far corner of Discoveryland, sure, but I feel like it's too adult for Discoveryland. Discoveryland should be more dignified and more classical, if you see what I mean. To me, TRON Legacy is very futuristic, very adult and very cinematic, which is why I think it would fit in much better over at the Walt Disney Studios Park.

Also, the Backlot area of the Walt Disney Studios Park is currently such a mess that filling it with additional metal trusses and lighting rigs wouldn't spoil the theming, because let's be honest, there isn't really any theming to spoil.

Photo by Jeff Keller

dagobert

I would also prefer it inside WDSP. Disney should only use Production Courtyard and Backlot.

Since Disney isn't charging extra money for that event, I can imagine that it would attract many guests, especially locals. I'm not sure if families would attend it. Maybe it would help to attract some adults without kids again.

Anthony

Quote from: "Alan"Also, the Backlot area of the Walt Disney Studios Park is currently such a mess that filling it with additional metal trusses and lighting rigs wouldn't spoil the theming, because let's be honest, there isn't really any theming to spoil.
That's a point, I hadn't thought about the daytime intrusion. And I do agree that Backlot is a far more fitting location. Perhaps they could also combine it with an idea I think you had to retheme Rock 'n' Roller Coaster to TRON? The original plans for RNRC and Backlot had a nighttime light show installed on the roofs of the buildings, bringing that horrible square to life, so ElecTRONica would finally make that a reality, on a much bigger scale.

Unfortunately I feel TRON doesn't really fit into DLP's favoured list of franchises, thanks to that one word you mentioned: adult. (Never mind that a lot of kids, particularly young boys, loved the film too)

CafeFantasia

Hi Anthony. I'm glad you agree. The Backlot is probably the best location, out of both of the theme parks at Disneyland Paris, to install something like ElecTRONica.

Yeah, back in March 2011 I posted an idea here on the Magicforum to turn the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster into TRON: The Ride. Perhaps bringing ElecTRONica to the Walt Disney Studios Park first would be a good way to test guests' reaction to the TRON franchise, before building the ride?

TRON: The Ride
viewtopic.php?t=10767&p=185421

The funny thing is, Shanghai Disneyland is actually getting a TRON: Legacy roller coaster, instead of Space Mountain! So perhaps my idea to replace Aerosmith with Daft Punk isn't so ridiculous after all.