The Tubbs family trip 23rd-27th August

Started by tubbsy, August 21, 2010, 07:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelly.dylan

Glad you had a lovely trip, cant wait to read the rest of your report, especially the birthday surprises :D
September 2007-Cheyenne
March 2009-Santa Fe
January 2010-Cheyenne
October 2010-Hotel New York
December 2010-Cheyenne
February 2011-Disneyland Hotel
October 2011-Newport Bay
December 2011-Santa Fe
August 2012-Offsite
October 2012-Explorers Hotel
December 2012-Sequoia Lodge
May 2013-Kyriad
October 2013-Kyriad
December 2013-Dream Castle
October 2014-WDW Saratoga Springs[/color]

tubbsy

DopeyDad-I had-but great plans n all that. It was quite an adventure but fun :)
Kelly-coming soon! Promise :)

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

tubbsy

OK-I've got a few minutes-lets see if we can get day 1 done :D I will upload photos later
We booked in at Newport Bay Admirals floor, the lady was fantastic, explainging everything. We then went over to the concierge and confirmed all our meal bookings for the week as I have read people had had problems. the concierge printed out receipts for each one for me as proof, which was very reassuring. Then it was down into the park and City Hall.
Oh that feeling of walking up and seeing the Disney Hotel and then through onot Main Street! I wish I could bottle it :D
First stop as I said was city Hall to get Robs pass sorted and for him to receive a birthday sticker and phone call from Mickey :D He kept looking at the phone in an odd way cos he couldnt quite believe Mickey was talking to him.
Then down to Caseys Corner for lunch-and all I can say is YUM! Rob had hotdog and chips, Steph and Mark nuggets and chips and me the salad and nuggets. Fab!
Once replenished we headed off to our first ride of the day-Star Tours, then Buzz Lightyear, Orbitron, and Captain Eo-which Rob being a Michael Jackson fan loved.
Then we had to do the scariest ride in the whole park-hold onto your seats ladies and gentlemen........ "Its a Small World After All!!!!" ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

Are you scared yet?????
A few rides in Fantasyland before we were all beginning to flag (casey Juniors comin down the track, with a smokey stack!) as we hadnt slept so well on the boat-apart from Master Rob with his bum in the air! We headed back to NPB.
We picked up our room keys - the lady saying "Oh you have a beautiful room" and me thinking "Yeah, thanks, I'm sure its very nice"
We headed of to the 7th floor, walked out of the lift and followed the arrows to just around the corner-Mark opened the door and .... A roll drum please- WOW :shock:  :thumbs:  :shock:  :thumbs: We had a corner room! Over looking the lake (as we had requested) with a balcony and we could see ToT, Space Mountain and the castle! I could have cried! Wow Wow Wow!
It really took our breaths away. It was beautiful :D What a fantastic surprise. So much for resting we all kept going out and staring at the view!

Then the phone rang
"Mrs Tubbs, theres been a mix up" (My heart dropped. I wasnt leaving that room for love nor money!)
"We were supposed to have decorated the room for your children and its not been done" (My heart leapt back up agan!)
"So we were wondering are you going out again?" I explained we werent going out til 6:00 for dinner at Cafe Mickey
"Thats fine Mrs Tubbs, we'll do it then"  OK so now I am officially in love with the Admirals floor CMs!
I persuade the family to rest for a while before frantically keel hauling them out of the room and marching them down to Cafe Mickeys at 5:45! :D
Again I know some of you have had problems at Cafe Mickeys, but it was fantastic.
The kids saw Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Tigger, Chip n Dale Mr Smee and of course Eeyore :D :D and the food was hot and delicious. Oh happy days :D can it get any better??? ......

Oh yes it can!
Music comes on and Robs cake accompanied by Mickey and Pluto arrives at our table :D :D :D
It was absolutely brilliant :D

Everyone is ridiculously tired but Rob asks if he can go for a swim, so we take a slow walk back to NPB, me still holding onto my camera  ;)
We open the door to our room and there are balloons on the bed, from lampshades, from the balcony window and even hanging in the bathroom! :D And placed on the childrens bed is a box of sweets and a postcard with Mickey and Donalds autographs :D

We head off for a quick swim before persuading Rob to go to bed-by this time its just short of 10:00pm- a very long day. Rob falls asleep whilst Mark, Steph and I sit with a warm drink and watch the fireworks from our balcony :D

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

ed-uk

What a lovely trip report so far. Sounds like the DLP I know and love.
Ed & David

DopeyDad

Wow Tubs, those little extra touches sound lovely. Did they decorate your room because you had told the hotel it was your Son's B'Day? Also, if you don't mind all the questions, how easy was it to set up the Mickey call at Town Hall for your Son. It's my eldest Sons B'Day on our last day when we go in Oct and I'd love to set things like that up for him too.

tubbsy

Thanks guys-the whole week was like this-as you'll see as it goes along.
Dopeydad-It was really easy to set up-we rang NPB a few days before and said it was their birthdays coming up and they said they would try and decorate the room
The phone call is a standard recorded message, you just go along and say its your childs birthday, they give them a sticker and hand over the phone.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

DLP-Photos.com

Happy you had a great trip - and great start to the report (glad I inspired you with the colour scheme :P)

The extra touches with birthday stickers, phone call and decorations sound very nice - does the sticker give your child some advantages in the parks?

Your way of seeing the fireworks on day 1 sounds like it can compete with my experience on Big Thunder Mountain :)

Looking forward to more days and of course the photos :)
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

figaro

wow it looks like you had a great start to your trip :) cant wait to read more :) x
disney fund 25/08/10 - 4nights/5days at santa fe 16th November 2010 PAID
disney spends - £0 (lol)

DopeyDad

:thumbs: Thanks Tubbsy

-breeno-

Excellent trip report so far Tubbsy, looking forward to the rest of it!

I knew you'd love the Admirals Floor, we stayed there a few years back and loved it too.  We had a balcony too with a great view of the other end of the hotel looking out the long grass area (although your view sounds magnificent) :thumbs:
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

jackieann

Sounds amazing!! love the idea of watching the fireworks from my hotel room! maybe next year (altho dont think hunny wants to go) but we will see.!!

XX

tubbsy

Thanks guys. I've hit a brick wall tonight-really tired after so many early starts and late finishes, but I've managed to upload photos to my FB account-gives you a slight preview of all the characters we got to see! Just a few .......  :D  I promise I'll load them on here too soon.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6 ... 562&page=3
and the view from our room
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pi ... =fbx_album
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?id=67 ... id=6399139

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

Aveen2008

Ur trip sounds so magical so far, even the detour by the eiffel tower hehe! I never knew on your birthday you got a sticker and phonecall from mickey? Is this a new thing? your room sounds so amazing!! I am so majorly jealous hehe! can't wait to read more! :thumbs:
Luv Aveen xoxo

gothprincess

Oh what a lovely first day happy Birthday Rob and Steph!

I can't wait to read the rest.

tubbsy

Thank you guys. I feel like I am writing up the corniest most wonderful trip ever :)
Just uploading photos, so hopefully I'll attach them in a bit.

Day 2 started with breakfast in our room. Steph and I were up and showered and ready for another day, Mark was just getting moving whilst Mr Robert with his bum in the air was still snoring! So Steph promptly waved a croissant under his nose which resulted him going from snoring to munching in 30 seconds!

(The 10 euro delivery was definately worth it, the queues were horrendous each morning)
Once we were all ready to go we headed off into the park
First stop off to City Hall to get a very embarrassed Steph a birthday sticker although she refused to talk to Mickey on the phone! :lol:
Then off for a look around the castle and onto some rides.

I forgot to say about the weather! You'll see thick black cloud and rain in a few photos, then beautiful sunshine. It was so hot and the cloud built up, dropped a load of rain on everyone for 30 minutes and then we were back to blazing sunshine!

Also-Just a bit on Rob and aspergers and the use of the disability pass
Aspergers can mean different things for kids, but mostly it means they get multi sensory overload and dont understand social situations. Rob is academically at the level someone 2-3 years older than his age but has the social skills of a 3-4 year old. Makes for an interesting life! Rob is a tall chunky lad and did get funny looks as he spent quite a bit of time during the holiday walking around with ear defenders on to slightlly muffle the sound-

he particularly found Main Streets music a bit too much, but he is a complete ride nut and loves the characters and his interactions with them was brilliant-one Mum commented on the first night how brilliant he was.
Rob did have a disability pass but during EMH we decided to do a little life skill training!-one day Rob will need to queue with everyone else so where we can we do take him in the queue lines-and EMH is a good opportunity for him to learn. The queues werent much longer than 15 minutes and we were able to give him a little more space so he didnt feel overwhelmed by too many people in his face. During EMH Rob queued every morning for Peter Pan, Dumbo, Buzz and on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday we finished by queueing for the opening of Star Tours.

OK so after EMH we headed off to POTC, PM and  BTM and this was the only time we managed to ride BTM. We tried three more times but it was down each time-bad timing on our behalf me thinks.

After a spot of lunch we enjoyed a few more rides then it was time for us to meet up with my friend Miriam I had met through another forum - I know a few of us on here know Miriam ;)  ).

It was fab to meet her and great to watch the showtime spectacular together and have a sing and a dance whilst we watched :) , Steph got a teeny bit excited at seeing Angel, Boo, Lilo and Stitch and Tiana and Naveen :D and Rob got a cuddle from Jessie :D then it was off to have a drink at the Deli and a chat before we had to say goodbye to Miriam as we had reservations for L'Auberge De Cendrillon

Steph was feeling a little self conscious as being 16 she towered above all the little girls queueing to see the princesses. She tried to play it cool but when she saw Cinderella she developed the most cheeeeeeesiest grin!  :D And Robert went really shy!

The food was fab and the Princess interaction was great-the kids saw Cinderella, Suzie and Perla, Aurora and Snow White and her Prince ( I think was he most impressed with the Prince! :lol: ) Then it was Stephs turn for her cake-unfortunately I wasnt warned that it was coming out so didnt get to video it, but got a lovely photo of her with it.

Then it was a time for a few more rides before I tried to persuade the family to leave the park for an earlyish night-is 10:00pm an early night? Hmmmmm! :?:  :lol:

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia