Princess Pavilion in Fantasyland (Now Open)

Started by Anthony, August 21, 2010, 04:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

I suppose one of the reasons it was chosen is because of the doorway on each level, meaning future Princess fans can enter via the upper level and then walk around down to the meet 'n' greet and exit, perhaps.

It might make more sense in this location if it was given some vaguely rural/country theme, like the three fairies house (taken) or Belle's house. Royal Princess Palace doesn't quite suggest that though, does it?

Malin

QuoteDo you think they realized at the Expo last year that fans aren't that happy with the whole princess stuff. I really hope that things will get better after Tom Staggs became head of Parks and Resort. But he is still another accountant and not a creative person.

Not really because Disney tend to ignore the fans wishes half the time and just do what it wants. The verdict is still out on Tom Staggs but he has got three boys who are the perfect age for Disney parks. And he does seem to view the parks with them in mind.

QuoteDisney needs a team like Eisner and Wells were at the beginning of their leadership twenty years ago.

We do have John Lasseter. But my view on him has change lately after seeing TSPL and knowing he was heavily involved with the project. John just seems more concerned with his legacy at Disney. I'm sure his heart is in the right place, but he just appears to be wanting to push his own Characters that he created out inside the parks to much. While Michael Eisner made plenty of mistakes. Especially towards the end of his Disney career. He did have a good creative mind and when you go over interviews from Imagineers on past projects. Eisner is credited with coming up with a lot of brilliant ideas.

Adam

I'm not surprised with this news. I think that this is a start of a new theme - refashioning pre and postshow areas of rides into new uses. One example that I think will be redone is Art of Disney Animation, which I think will be rearranged at some point and could have some rooms used as either a shop, a very small ride or perhaps a restaurant.

I think that the postshow area for IASW is often ignored by repeat visitors, especially if busy, so I don't think it is a great loss. However, I don't think the replacement is a great idea either! However, better to use the space for something useful than use somewhere else for it.

davewasbaloo

If they are going to start doing this rubbish, it would be cool to use the Post Show of Star Tours for some Star Wars meet and greets like they used to do in the early 90's outdoors.
since 2001 (many before that)

PetiteSirene

I agree that the post show of Star Wars needs to be re done and a meet and greet area would be ideal. I never see anyone in there on the games :?

I agree that the IASW exit area is an odd choice for a meet and greet, however an undercover princess meet and greet area was sorely needed as they were always getting cancelled in the wetter months. I know it has been requested several times to have a meet and greet area inside.

Although some of us (me included) dont really care for the princesses they are very popular, one only has to look at the size of the queue at the meet and greets to see that :? It would be nicer if they had the area to meet and greet the rarer Disney 'princesses' or a meet and greet with ariel as a mermaid... now that I would be interested to see  :-"

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"If they are going to start doing this rubbish, it would be cool to use the Post Show of Star Tours for some Star Wars meet and greets like they used to do in the early 90's outdoors.

A Star Wars meet and greet would be great. At DHS in Florida it was nearly impossible to get a picture with the Star Wars characters. It would be a reason to get rid of these stupid video games. There they have a video game that is really not suitable for a Disneyland Park.

davewasbaloo

I remember in 1992 seeing C3PO, Chewbacca and an Ewok in Discoveryland (as well as two different live bands - one future brass, and 1 percussion, as well as the Roc Shoc show in Videopolis - this is why toons in the theatre do not cut it for me).

At least a few years ago when they had the human pinball game that was free, and all the other free machines where you could distort your face, or change your voice, it was a worth while area. Now, not so much. And I love Star Wars.
since 2001 (many before that)

disneyrules

Quote from: "PetiteSirene"I agree that the post show of Star Wars needs to be re done and a meet and greet area would be ideal. I never see anyone in there on the games :?

I agree that the IASW exit area is an odd choice for a meet and greet, however an undercover princess meet and greet area was sorely needed as they were always getting cancelled in the wetter months. I know it has been requested several times to have a meet and greet area inside.

Although some of us (me included) dont really care for the princesses they are very popular, one only has to look at the size of the queue at the meet and greets to see that :? It would be nicer if they had the area to meet and greet the rarer Disney 'princesses' or a meet and greet with ariel as a mermaid... now that I would be interested to see  :-"

I agree it would be great if you could meet mermaid ariel and princess like mulan and pocahontas who never seem to be with the other princesses.
I only hope that we don\'t lose sight of one thing,that it was all started by a mouse[size=150] Walt Disney
[/size]

:pluto:  :mickey1:

RiverRogue

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"I remember in 1992 seeing C3PO, Chewbacca and an Ewok in Discoveryland (as well as two different live bands - one future brass, and 1 percussion, as well as the Roc Shoc show in Videopolis - this is why toons in the theatre do not cut it for me).

Hmm, incidentally, they are looking for tall cast members to... um, "help" Chewbacca this winter. I wonder what that's all about...

Sorry, getting off topic again...

Lodged between the Old Mill, Wonderland and an abstract representation of the world, one has to wonder what would fit there that's not immediately part of one of those three themes.

Actually, is it really WDI doing this? Or DLPI? It seems like a small project to pass on to Glendale... DLPI doesn't have the same resources, but they generally keep closer to the original Imagineers' visions for the park.

johnd331

I remember this post-show area and I've been at least trough it once on every visit. This area was clearly inspired by the original sponsor, France Telecom. I've never really seen the point to it, but small kids seemed to enjoy it, because it had some things for them to explore. In my opinion, it failed to explain itself and as such did not make any sense to most people.

Last time I've visited this area, it was in a desperate need of a rehab. To be honest, I don't mind them removing it, it wasn't really acceptable anymore in the current state and a simple rehab would not make it more attractive.

Of course, you could do something more inspiring to this area than just another Princess Meet-n-Greet. In that form, it will probably not be part of the IASW attraction anymore. I actually would prefer a decent post-show area, something that makes the transition between the attraction and "the rest of the park" more fluent. The Star Tours post-show, before it degenerated to its current state as desolate, misplaced, rundown arcade hall with games nobody wants to play, was a good example of a post-show that filled the gap between the attraction and the land outside.

pussinboots

Quote from: "johnd331"In my opinion, it failed to explain itself and as such did not make any sense to most people.

And we wonder why Disney keeps stooping to a lower common denominator.

It's not the Tate Modern for pete's sake. It was a display of children from different countries communicating. Must everything be labeled "ride," "shop" or "restaurant" for people not to get hysterically confused and run for safety?

pussinboots

Quote from: "RiverRogue"Lodged between the Old Mill, Wonderland and an abstract representation of the world, one has to wonder what would fit there that's not immediately part of one of those three themes.

Actually, is it really WDI doing this? Or DLPI? It seems like a small project to pass on to Glendale... DLPI doesn't have the same resources, but they generally keep closer to the original Imagineers' visions for the park.

It's pretty much physically a part of the Small World complex, though, isn't it?

They did manage a nice marriage of themes with the Fantasia Gelati area, where they kept the pastel colors and gaiety of It's a Small World but without the abstract element. Perhaps if they build the princesses something with the aesthetic of a cupcake, it might fit...

PetiteSirene

If its going to be a princess meet and greet area then they should theme it around IASW. Using the Princesses from other cultures such as Pocahontas and Mulan. At least that way it wouldn't seem as odd coming off a ride about different cultures to be confronted with Belle, Aurora and Cinderella...

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

Tuvok

I think this is a great idea. Maybe some of you forget, but the entire resort only has ONE - partially - indoor meet & greet location (Woody's Roundup Village). All the other meet & greets are outside, which are often cancelled due to the Paris weather conditions. This is very needed (all other Disney Resorts have simular locations) and having several meet & greets with different princesses at the same time will result in less waitingtime. Bare in mind that we have 2 NEW princesses added to the Princess-franchise lately (Tiana and Rapunzel by the end of the year). Concentrating them in one indoor themed location is what I always thought DLP would need. Now, finally, they've got the message.

There is no such thing as too many 'organized' meet & greets (not the loose characters wandering through the park, but the ones with queue's). DLP had so many meet & greets in the early years, but most of them are no more. This new Princess location is very welcome, in my opinion. And no, I'm not the target audience for Princesses...
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

svenneke1

I Hope the Magical Moments Festival won't be all about Disney Princesses... Meet and Greet seems fine.