Princess Pavilion in Fantasyland (Now Open)

Started by Anthony, August 21, 2010, 04:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockNRoller

For me IASW is a bit like Marmite, love it or hate it, Loved the ride, hated the tune but always rode it and enjoyed walking round the post ride area. With that gone im almost glad its closed the next time we go.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

Anthony

Thanks for the info RiverRogue. That's right, I'd forgotten the connection to Runaway Brain.

Quote from: "RiverRogue"
Quote from: "pussinboots"I wonder if things would have gone differently if 'Small World had been the popular ride they foresaw in 1992.
Oh, it actually is quite popular. If its queue line is never very long it's mostly because it has the highest capacity of any ride in the park and no FastPass to inflate the standby wait time. Its guest satisfaction rate is also among the highest.
Funnily enough whilst the photo I posted earlier was taken during one of those many walk-on times, just as I was on my way home on Thursday I saw the queue completely filled, the whole waiting area full right down to the globe. Even then, wait time was only saying 30mins.

Quote from: "Kristof"The working title is Royal Princess Palace.  It's designed by WDI, NOT Entertainment.  And the area will be open even when there are no Princesses inside, since there will be interactive elements all over the place.
WDI is good. But it's a big shame to have to lose this postshow for it. Fantasyland has plenty of space and this hardly seems the most "Princessy" area, between Small World and Alice in Wonderland. I guess they just can't/won't pay and go through planning permission (if needed) for a whole new building.

It felt weird being dumped straight out of Small World back into the park via what should be the disabled entrance, no little finale or conclusion to bring you out of it gradually. Even if it had it coming, and few people bothered to look at the area, the ride has lost a special little extra.

Columbiad

Forgive me, I can't remember this area, but does this mean that guests exiting the ride will find themselves plonked in a Princess fest?

Why can they create some sort of new Princess show for the Fantasyland Festival Stage? Did WDW have some sorty of Princess show? Even do up the front so it looks a bit more Princessey - just as long as its far away from Classic rides and unique Paris experiances!

Reiana

Personally, I don't mind if it is gone. It was nice to walk through, but that's all. Never payed much attention.
My little daughter will probably miss ist. She loved it, to look through the little windows an watch the differend children.

Aveen2008

I have to agree with those who have said they won't mind if it's gone, I didn't even know there was anything to see apart from old "its a small world" furniture and usually walked passed it, just annoyed that it was taking so long to exit the ride.
I do think the Princesses are being far too overused by Disney in every respect! You can hardly walk into a shop these days without seeing them on something! I think it has ruined the individualness (if that's even a word) of the princesses themselves because now they are all bunched together and I really dislike that!

Its going to be very odd having a meet and greet that has nothing to do with iasw right beside it! :roll:

I would have even prefered an It's a small world merchandise store or something, with items unique to the ride, like dolls from the different countries and stuff, that would have been really nice and in keeping with the ride.
Luv Aveen xoxo

Malin

QuoteIn Florida they realized that they have to think about all the new princess meet and greets and now the whole expansion plan gets reworked. It looks like they are really afraid of Harry Potter and it is about time that Disney realizes that they don't create the best attractions in the themepark business anymore. All Disney can do is to use franchises and to squeeze the money out of it until nobody wants to see it anymore. Maybe that's a reason why "The Princess and the Frog" wasn't a success. Maybe people are getting tired of Disney princesses.

I was at the D23 Expo when Jay annouced the original Fantasyland plans. It was met with huge applause from the audience until the word Princess was mentioned. Than the packed Arena went awfully silent. While I did like some of the plans talked about. Most of it appeared to be aimed at one age group and market. So I was very happy to read that Disney was reworking the plans. Its a shame also Princess and the Frog wasn't more of a suscess. I think the movie is fantastic.

QuoteWDI is good. But it's a big shame to have to lose this postshow for it. Fantasyland has plenty of space and this hardly seems the most "Princessy" area, between Small World and Alice in Wonderland. I guess they just can't/won't pay and go through planning permission (if needed) for a whole new building.

I wouldn't say WDI is good. These are the same people who gave us TSPL. An addition that proves you can in Europe build any old crap and the fans will accept it. I cringe to think what will become of the former postshow for Its a Small World. But I do agree about the space that exist already in Fantasyland and that a new Meet and Greet could of been placed somewhere else. More concern for the future. :(

dagobert

I also like "The Princess and the Frog" and I think it is a wonderful movie that proves that it doesn'T need to be CGI to be a good movie.

As a said in a previous post, Disney of today is just about franchises and their biggest is Princesses.

In my opinion the princesses don't fit to it's a small world. So why are they creating the meet and greet there? I can't believe that I'm saying this, but I even would prefere a shop dedicated to princess stuff than another meet and greet. The best would be a new post show related to the attraction.

Hopefully WDI does a great job on reworking the expansion plan, but I doubt it. Until now they are only adding one new ride, and a second Dumbo and they call it an expansion.
Do you think they realized at the Expo last year that fans aren't that happy with the whole princess stuff. I really hope that things will get better after Tom Staggs became head of Parks and Resort. But he is still another accountant and not a creative person.
Disney needs a team like Eisner and Wells were at the beginning of their leadership twenty years ago.

I'm sure it will not take a long time until people complain about the meet and greet, because it will get very crowded in there when girls want to get a picture with a princess. Exiting the ride will be tough.

pussinboots

I think some of you might want to consider the concept that just because you, for whatever reason, never took the time to have a look around the place, that doesn't mean that it was bad or that its demise is not a loss.

Anyway, I think it won't necessarily be disastrous if designed by Imagineering, as long as they stick to Mary Blairish designs (or the updated 1990s Paris version) rather than plunge the whole thing in generic princess treacle. And I wonder if it will retain its post show function at all. It doesn't seem impossible; the building is spacious enough to accommodate both the mandatory pink castle backdrop with the line of taffeta-clad twelve-year-olds and a corridor for exiting 'Small World riders.

Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "RiverRogue"Oh, it actually is quite popular. If its queue line is never very long it's mostly because it has the highest capacity of any ride in the park and no FastPass to inflate the standby wait time. Its guest satisfaction rate is also among the highest.
Funnily enough whilst the photo I posted earlier was taken during one of those many walk-on times, just as I was on my way home on Thursday I saw the queue completely filled, the whole waiting area full right down to the globe. Even then, wait time was only saying 30mins.

It has a higher capacity than even Pirates, then? Wouldn't have thought that was possible without one of those inflatable airplane slides. A few months ago on a particularly busy Saturday — Crush was spilling out as if on its way to the Backlot — 'Small World was just about the only activity in the resort you could manage within twenty minutes. But that explains it then, obviously...

davewasbaloo

Well Crush can accommodate aout 800 per hour, IASW 3000, hence the difference in queues. Walt Disney learnt a lot of lessons on capacity for the 1964 world's fair, with boats and onmimovers being people eaters. It seems Disney in the large has forgotten how to make people eaters (thank goodness Buzz is an Omnimover, could you imagine it with slower loading?).

FWIW, my kids always adore the post show (as do I, as it is really the message of IASW). Hey, at least we are not getting the stupid toons like DL and HKDL did! Phew
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"FWIW, my kids always adore the post show (as do I, as it is really the message of IASW). Hey, at least we are not getting the stupid toons like DL and HKDL did! Phew

I thought the same. I don't mind seeing Jack Sparrow and Barbossa in the PoTC ride, I actually liked it in Florida, but I hope that IASW will stay without the toons.

Maybe Jack and Barbossa would boost attendance of the ride. It is so sad that this great ride doesn't get the attention it should get from people.

pussinboots

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Well Crush can accommodate aout 800 per hour, IASW 3000, hence the difference in queues. Walt Disney learnt a lot of lessons on capacity for the 1964 world's fair, with boats and onmimovers being people eaters. It seems Disney in the large has forgotten how to make people eaters (thank goodness Buzz is an Omnimover, could you imagine it with slower loading?).

I read somewhere that Pirates eats 3400 guests per hour, the Haunted Mansions 3200. So if those numbers are remotely accurate, 'Small World must get even more than that. Apparently a standard dark ride digests about 1000, so Crush gets less than a C-Ticket. But what I really want to know, for obvious rat-based reasons, is the capacity of Pooh's Hunny Hunt... It doesn't seem like much of a man-eater to me.

But it seems to me Disney is building more Omnimovers than ever at the moment. Buzz as you said, the new Little Mermaid ride is one, Midway Mania is a variation. For thirty years prior to those every Omnimover Disney built was either a Haunted Mansion or some cornfield excursion at Epcot.

davewasbaloo

Or don't forget the amazing Adventure Through Inner Space (man, I miss that one - as well as the deceased people Eaters that used to be at Epcot). I am glad to see the revival of people eaters.
since 2001 (many before that)

disneyrules

I never saw the preshow and i really regret not seeing it now.... :(
I dont really like the idea of a new princess meet and greet, i dont think it really suits IASW.
I do hope that when the begin the meet and greets all the princesses are there including pocahontas and Mulan who never seem to be included.
I only hope that we don\'t lose sight of one thing,that it was all started by a mouse[size=150] Walt Disney
[/size]

:pluto:  :mickey1:

15MagicalYears

Quote from: "disneyrules"I never saw the preshow and i really regret not seeing it now.... :(
I dont really like the idea of a new princess meet and greet, i dont think it really suits IASW.
I do hope that when the begin the meet and greets all the princesses are there including pocahontas and Mulan who never seem to be included.

I agree that if they are going to be using this as an indoor meet and greet then ALL princess (well, atleast 4) should be out at a time. If they have one alternating every now and then would be awful and a complete waste of space. I'm sad to see the postshow go but I am sure the new meet and greets will be popular.

RiverRogue

Quote from: "pussinboots"I read somewhere that Pirates eats 3400 guests per hour, the Haunted Mansions 3200. So if those numbers are remotely accurate, 'Small World must get even more than that. Apparently a standard dark ride digests about 1000, so Crush gets less than a C-Ticket.

Without going into too much detail, it's difficult comparing third-hand numbers because Disney uses two different ways to calculate hourly capacity... one purely mathematical, the other taking into account actual operational conditions and thus closer to reality. I don't have the numbers here but both Pirates and Phantom Manor seem to have capacities lower than those you've mentioned; 1000 for a dark ride is about right.

Anyway, to get back on topic, yeah, I'm going to miss that post-show too although I'll readily admit I haven't been through there in ages. For those wondering if it will still be connected to Small World as a sort of post-show, it would seem that the answer is no. I hope they'll find a convincing way of making this photo-location fit into that part of Fantasyland...